“Not a bad deal.”
Review of Hotel Godwin

Hotel Godwin
Ranked #128 of 456 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed March 3, 2012

The hotel staff could use training however the owner is a jewel. I happen to be there when he arrived and he comped everything at the hotel bar/restaurant out of generosity. He didn't ask for a review in return, a good hearted older man with good service value. I overheard the staff comment on his generosity the next day when he wasn't around - talking about him as if he's a crazy man and reception desk staff knocked on my door and called my room several times wanting me to pay for my friend who was only visiting me as we were planning our India trip but they thought that my travel companion was sneaking in the room without paying - the staff for some reason didn't stop harassing so my stay was disruptive. Staff needs to learn from the owner - a little bit goes a long way.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 1, 2012

The room was filthy and the furniutre had holes in, as did all the bed linen. The first room I was put in was right next to the adjoining building's air con unit, even with the window shut the noise was terrible. The staff wanted a tip before they carried your bags to the room, and then another when the job was done. They charged 1000 Rupees for an airport pick up - I since discovered that an a/c car is no more than 400 from the airport. What is really disappointing is that the hotel is in a great location, but it needs a serious refurb. I moved after one night into the Ascot Hotel, 20 yards up the same road, a million times better!!

Room Tip: Stay Elswhere
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Richard S
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on several occaisions over the past few years, it has always been OK. Not fantastic but good value and great location. This time I booked directly and was badly let down, I gave the hotel lots of notice and requested a top flloor deluxe room, this was confirmed. When I arrived the room I booked was not available and we were put in a sub standard room, after dinner when we came back to this room, the room was full of fumes from a kitchen extractor, I was really concerned about our saftey. The mangement said no other room was available, we checked out as soon as possible

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2012

The Godwin is situated in an excellent location in Colaba. Rooms are a bit pricy considering the standard which is OK but not special. On arrival, we were upgraded to a suite which we then could stay in for the two nights we had booked. Breakfast is included but can't recommend it. The roof top restaurant has brilliant views of the city.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We recently stayed two nights at Hotel Godwin - two very large, comfortable and clean rooms with views over the city which were serviced daily. The service was excellent and staff were most helpful with queries regarding directions, taxis etc. There is even a lift attendant!

The rooftop terrace affords great views - perfect for a beer on a hot afternoon. Breakfast is a perfectly adequate buffet served in the downstairs restaurant. The location is great for exploring Colaba and not far from restaurants such as the fantastic Cafe Mondegar and more touristy Leopold Cafe (a ten minute walk). A lively area - great to wander around.

A very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 1, 2012

This hotel is rather old and need a makeover. I had a huge room but was unable to open the window because that means being face-to-face with neighbours. Floor was very clean, but I wouldn't sit on the sofas. Bed was clean but too hard. Hmm... but for the price...

Breakfast was a simple fare but decently nice and filling. Staff members were very friendly and helpful though. Also like view from the rooftop cafe bar. The biggest bonus of Godwin has got to be it's location. It is in fact situated right ON the Colaba Causeway shopping street, yet just far enough inside Garden Road to keep out the noise from Colaba Causeway. To its right is a peaceful street (B Behram Road) which will lead a short way to the Gateway of India.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We stayed at The Godwin for 4 nights and were overall pretty happy with our choice.

By far the best thing about the hotel for us was the location in Colaba, only a few minutes walk from India Gate and the ferry to Elephanta Island, the Taj Hotel, and the hustle and bustle of Colaba’s café scene, including Leopolds. You’re also close enough to the Fort area, VT station, and Crawford Market if, like us, you like exploring cities on foot. The walk up to Crawford past VT is actually quite beautiful and passes some lovely old buildings.

We had a fairly nice room on the 5th floor, quite large with a couch, decent AC, satellite TV, comfortable bed (with clean bedding), and decent enough bathroom with good hot water from the bath/shower. While wifi didn’t seem to stretch to our room, we were able to access wifi for free from the reception area which was an added bonus.

Breakfast was included in the room rate and while it was the same every day, the buffet spread was nice enough and kept us going for a few hours each day. We also ate the hotel’s rooftop restaurant and were pleasantly surprised by the food and the prices, compared to places on the main drag.

In truth though the room was probably a little tired and for some people, the smell of moth balls, and the odd bit of peeling wall might be a problem. However, having been in India for 2 months we have pretty much come to expect these small imperfections from hotels in all price brackets.

That said, these minor issues probably do mean the hotel is perhaps slightly overpriced for what you get, even in a very expensive city like Mumbai.

However, for us the good far outweighed the bad and we would stay here again if our preferred cheaper options were not available.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple