“Disco Noise Continues”

The Gordon House Hotel
Ranked #80 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed January 17, 2006

We checked into this hotel for 4 nights. First night (thursday) at 2am and all seemed well no disco noise. Early to bed the next evening to be woken by vibrations from the disco starting at 11pm. The music got lounder and lounder so loud you could hear every word of every song in Hindi and English.

Complaints to management got us no results. Offers to change us to another room (where noise was just as bad) unsatisfactory. Finally, after speaking to our tour operator we packed up our room at 1am, checked out and went elsewhere as we were told that the disco was on other nights as well.

Do not stay at this hotel if you want to sleep before 4am. This hotel needs to decide if it's a disco or a hotel ... a very, very bad experience.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank Sal11

Reviewed November 27, 2005

I stayed here in November 2005. I had read the reviews and was therefore aware of the night-club on the 1st floor. I requested a room on one of the upper floors. But there wasn't one available. However, they said the room they are going to give me is on the side with less noise. My room was on the second floor and had no view to mention of, but I must say I was spared from the loud music. I definitley could not hear it over the hum of the air condtioning unit. I did however overhear another guest complain of the noise. So I guess the key is to get a room that is on a higher floor or that is on the side with less noise intrusion

I really enjoyed my 2 night stay here. My room was on the Meditteranean floor. It was fairly spacious, clean and nicely appointed. The bathroom was somewhat small, but was pretty clean too. They provided a full set of complimentary toiletries. The complimentary slippers, daily bottle of water and ironing were nice touches. The concierge was friendly and very helpful. All this for Rs 4000, which I think is steep for India but not too steep for Mumbai. I will definitely come back... hopefully they will have figured something out about the noise as well...

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank StarvingActor
A TripAdvisor Member
lyon, france
Reviewed September 28, 2005

We spent a couple of days in Mumbai; this is a very good hotel:modern, clean, close to main tourist attractions. We loved it! Taxi drivers still don't know it very well but you can say "behind the cinema" ...they will find it. Best wishes!

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 14, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Gordon House for 1 night. It's not the quietest hotel, but for anyone who understands city living, it was fine. It's never quiet in a city of 18 million people.

The staff were excellent. Very helpful and accommodating. They helped us with planning our schedule, arranged our cars and negotiated on our behalf with Kool Cab drivers. Given the significant difference between western standards and those of India, the Gordon House was superior to most of the Taj hotels that we stayed in during our trip.

It's a nice, clean, stylish boutique hotel with good room service and feels a little like the smaller W Hotels do in the U.S.

Room isn't huge but amenities were very good.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank eastcoast_adam
A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed January 30, 2005

The disco on the ground floor of this hotel can be heard from most of the rooms in this hotel. We were unfortunate enough to be on the lowest level of guestrooms, but other patrons assured us that the noise could also be heard further up. Complaints to the management did nothing to alleviate the problem.

In addition, the look of this hotel is more New York than Mumbai. For tourists yearning for a taste of India, this definitely is not the place to stay.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 27, 2005

this is a beautiful hotel but it needs to decide if its a hotel or NIGHT CLUB .loud music can be heard everwhere in this hotel till 4.30am even if the reception lied and said it finishes at 1am . Do not stay here until they get rid of the 1st floor disco . we had to get out money refunded

8  Thank James B
Reviewed January 4, 2005

The efforts of the attentive staff at this smart hotel with an excellent range of guest services are rendered completely pointless by the fact that the management runs a nightclub on the first floor, open until 1.30am weekdays, 4.30am at weekends. No amount of fancy toiletries, flatscreen TVs or Scandinavian design can compensate if a hotel can't perform its basic function of being a place to go to sleep at night.

8  Thank nfaz
Travelers also viewed these Mumbai (Bombay) hotels
Fariyas Hotel Mumbai
Fariyas Hotel Mumbai
#34 of 453 in Mumbai (Bombay)
Hotel Suba Palace
Hotel Suba Palace
#56 of 453 in Mumbai (Bombay)
Ascot Hotel
Ascot Hotel
#98 of 453 in Mumbai (Bombay)
Vivanta by Taj - President, Mumbai
Vivanta by Taj - President, Mumb...
#28 of 453 in Mumbai (Bombay)
Chateau Windsor Hotel
Chateau Windsor Hotel
#74 of 453 in Mumbai (Bombay)
Regent Hotel Colaba
Regent Hotel Colaba
#197 of 453 in Mumbai (Bombay)

Been to The Gordon House Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Gordon House Hotel

Address: 5 Battery Street | Apollo Bunder, Colaba, Mumbai, Mumbai (Bombay) 400003, India
Location: India > Maharashtra > Mumbai (Bombay)
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Wheelchair access
#53 Luxury Hotel in Mumbai (Bombay)
#64 Business Hotel in Mumbai (Bombay)
Price Range: $100 - $143 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — The Gordon House Hotel 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your The Gordon House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Gordon Hotel