“Smart Airport Hotel for Transit Stay”
Review of The Orchid Mumbai

The Orchid Mumbai
Ranked #45 of 454 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Kerala
“Smart Airport Hotel for Transit Stay”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

It is situated in an excellent location (for air travelers), very close to the domestic airport. The airport pick up & drop service was excellent and prompt, especially from the international terminal. For domestic pick up, you may have to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the arrival of the vehicle from the hotel, but still it is ok. The airport drop was remarkable, I assume they have 20+ cars for this service itself. The check in & check out procedure was slow.

It’s a little bit old hotel, but decently maintained, especially the new wing. Rooms are big and toilet was clean, but not the standard of a 5 hotel star for sure. The buffet breakfast is having a lot of choices, but unfortunately the same menu is repeating every day (I stayed there 3 times in 10 days). Also, the restaurant have a old & run down appearance. The roof top restaurant will give you a fantastic bird view of the runway. The cost of the beverages & food are on the higher side, so I opted the nearby Bawa hotel for some booze. The spa (run by another private agency) was also good and the masseurs were professionals.

For a short transit stay, I will definitely recommend this hotel, their airport pick up & drop is exceptional.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Gupta_Rajesh, General Manager at The Orchid Mumbai, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Mr. Isaac,

A well seasoned traveler rating us a smart hotel and giving us a 4 star rating really means a lot to us. The added impetus to garner the lone remaining star is provided in the accurate feedback that you have penned down for us.

The location has always earned us brownie points and combined with the services of our efficient airport team genuinely eases out the guests at the first point of contact. The rooftop restaurant, The Mostly Grills, has a breathtaking view of the airport runway and to top the same we do have special food promotions happening, practically every month. The spa has been spruced with the overall look, feel and the service professional and I am glad you found it to your liking.

The breakfast spread at our multi-cuisine coffee shop pleases one and all for its awesome spread and fresh appeal. However I understand that you found it a bit repetitive. I have spoken to our Executive Chef and I am sure you shall find a marked improvement on your next visit. The Front Office team has also been briefed to be more alert and efficient to ensure a smooth check-in / check-out process.

I am sure that you shall definitely be visiting us in the very near future. Looking forward to personally interact with you....

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is one of the good hotels in Mumbai close to Domestic Airport. The surrounding of the hotel may not be good, but once you enter the hotel, you will like the ambiance. Rooms are good, clean and comfortable. Food quality is excellent with wide range buffet spread. However, I found some issue with the staff at reception during check-in and check-out. Apart from this everything about this hotel is excellent.

Room Tip: An excellent hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Mohan,

Being rated as one of the good hotels near the domestic airport by your esteemed self is something that we indeed feel proud about. The proximity coupled with the service does make us the preferred choice for the discerning clients who prefer to abstain from the unpredictable Mumbai traffic.

The approach road has improved drastically since the ALM ( headed by The Orchid Hotel ) has taken it up as a matter of prime importance. I am glad the you find the ambiance, rooms and the food spread to your liking.

I gather from your review that the Front desk experience has left a lot to be desired. The Front Office team has been briefed to be more alert and efficient to ensure a smooth check-in / check-out process going forward.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My previous visits to the hotel were not as bad as it happened this time. The check in guys were lazy and only one was available at 8.15 PM. Before that even though the pick up was assured, no one was present at pick up area at Airport. I had to call the hotel and after putting me on hold for 5 minutes, I was connected to the guy who was merrily standing near the coffee shop! I had to wait for almost 20 minutes before the pick up car could arrive. Consider this - the travel time to hotel is 5 minutes only! Then at the check in, I was given a room which was looking like a room of a one-star hotel. The furniture was rundown needing replacement. The centre table in the room was vibrating and was making funny sounds. I asked for a room change, spoke to the Front Manager and even after 15 minutes, there was no response. I had to carry my luggage to the front office and had to demand a good room, as was always given to me in earlier visits, in a firm voice. Earlier I was told that there is no room on club prive available but when I asked for cancellation and refund, I was ushered in a room on 5th Floor. Only God knows, how the room appeared? In the room, TV was not functioning and the electric point for charging my devices was also out of order. I ordered for food and it was served after 55 minutes! Probably, it was my bad day. I could settle down to my work at 11 PM. The sleep quality was not good. The room windows were unclean. The shower was alright and that was the only saving grace. This hotel is doing business because of its proximity to the airport. I regretted having not stayed at Trident at BKC. Service is a major issue and this hotel is going down in every respect. The owner - Mr. Kamat needs to be a concerned guy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on Club Prive side. They are the best.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Ashish_Makhija
Dear Mr. Makhija,

First and foremost, kindly accept an unconditional apology on behalf of my entire team that we have not been able to live upto the usually high standards that you have experienced on your previous visits.

I would request you to kindly consider this visit of yours as a one off case and not a fair reflection of the usually high standards that we take pride in maintaining. I assure you that on your next visit you shall notice a marked improvement in the services and keep patronizing us in the ready future as well.

Looking forward to meet you personally and ensure that you have the best of experiences at The Orchid Hotel.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Loved my stay here. The hotel is great - very luxurious and provides incredible value. The breakfast and lunch was sumptuous and the spread left no desire for food unfulfilled. The location close to the airport is a great plus!

Room Tip: If you are into airplanes, choose the rooms that overlook the Mumbai airport.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank A picky travell... f
Dear Guest,

Its actually fantastic guests like you that come up these really fantastic comments which make us believe that we are headed in the right direction - being the first choice of any traveler visiting Mumbai.

The best part of your review was that you have mentioned that we are incredible value for money. The breakfast spread is constantly reworked and improved based on the feedback provided by our guests and hence has now developed an universal feel. I am glad that you have highlighted it for exquisite praise in your review.

Also, while the location always make us a prime choice for any traveler coming to Mumbai... your room tip is indeed worth a special mention. We do have a decent spread of airport facing, atrium facing and hotel Main porch runway facing rooms for the guest to choose from....

Looking forward to meet you in person as the Orchid continues to enthrall you in your future visits as well...

New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Initially I was frankly scared reading the previous reviews, but we had already booked our super deluxe room.
I was PLEASANTLY surprised ! Our room was very beautiful with nice decor, extremely neat and clean. The sofa was extremely comfortable and cozy, I loved the bath tub in the bathroom. We were given complimentary fruit bowl in the room.I had a nice and De-stressing spa session followed by sauna in the happy hours , 9 pm to 11 pm with 30% discount. We lazed around in the swimming pool in evening. The breakfast was very nice though there were no Mangoes in the mango season.
We just wished the breakfast was included in the room tariff as we had to pay extra for breakfast but considering the cost of the rooms of a 5 star hotel I guess it is fair enough.
The house keeping was very prompt.
The Spa girls were very professional and nice.
The receptionist was a bit indifferent.
The dinner on the terrace with the bird's view of the airport was kinda fun !
We had ordered chicken biryani...which was cooked appropriately and tasted very yummy !

Overall We were very happy and pleased with our stay and unwinded ourselves pretty well...
I loved the wooden panels and decor of the hotel, unlike the modern day hotels which seem very crisp and white . The wooden walls and staircase have a classic look about them making them look more elegant !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms. Roy,

A weekend is something that everyone looks forward to... and to have one which is absolutely relaxing and leaves a feeling of awesomeness is something that all yearn for... I am glad we have been able to provide you such an experience.

Its indeed a superlative performance from the entire team... as per the review that you have penned down. As the General Manager of the hotel, it gives me immense pride that as a team we have been able to make your stay a memorable one.

Looking forward to meet you on your next visit...

Pune, India
Reviewed June 7, 2014

You really start doubting your choice when you walk towards the lobby; the place doesn't even look like a modest 3-star from the outside, quite ill-maintained at that. On the inside though, thankfully, is a different story. The hotel has the old-world charm to it, and the rooms are quite spacious, unlike the new ones on the block. The buffet deserves a mention! Simply delicious food...Being opposite the Domestic airport is an added advantage if you have a flight to catch.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Gupta_Rajesh, General Manager at The Orchid Mumbai, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Mr. Prateek,

Its such a pleasure to go through your review that actually describes us a jewel... albeit a old one.

I gather that you have liked the old world charm ambiance, the rooms and have specially mentioned about the buffet spread. The food at the Orchid has always received rave views and I am sure it will continue to do so in the near future as well...

Looking forward to meet you in person on your next stay with us...

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I keep travelling to Mumbai every two month once, this is my 2nd visit & still the service is best. I like their roof top restaurant amazing view from the restaurant. The best thing is that Hotel offer compli Two way Airport Transfer & breakfast. I recommend to stay at the Newly built Club room view is really amazing facing the runway. I would definitely stay at Orchid whenever I visit Mumbai..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Gupta_Rajesh, General Manager at The Orchid Mumbai, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Ma'am,

It gives me immense pleasure to note that even on your second visit you found the entire hotel experience to your expectations and not just a flash-in-the-pan experience the first time around. I am thrilled to note that you intend to keep visiting us in the near future as well.

The complimentary airport transfers and breakfast ( as well as the wifi access ) have always won us rave reviews from our esteemed guests. I am glad you found it worth appreciating as well. As you rightly pointed out the club wing rooms have an awesome view of the domestic airport runway and are hence, always, a high demand product !!

Somehow, i feel that you have given the swimming pool, the wonderful spa and the in-house museum a miss... I would really like if you could check out the same on your next visit and let us know your valuable feedback.

Looking forward to meet you on your next visit...