“OK ish hotel but not good”

The Orchid Mumbai Vile Parle
Ranked #43 of 452 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Well located for the airport is about its best feature.

It advertises free internet, but at a glacial speed, I would rather pay for a better connection. It took me 20 minutes one morning to get online.

The room was clean but fittings very tired and I had to share it with mosquito's.

Cafe area service as slow as the inetrnet speed, the staff prefer hiding from customers.

Fodd though is very good, avoid their coffee, disgusting brown stuff.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is not a 5 minute walk from recepetion
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded September 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

We, at The Orchid thank you for sparing your valuable time and effort for the feedback.
We appreciate your positive feedback about our rooms and the quality of food. Your appreciation has been shared with the team as well.

We regret that your stay was met with inconvenience. We have taken up the issue with the concerned departments regarding your feedback about the service of the staff, the internet speed and the problem of mosquitoes in the room and shall ensure that such incidents are not repeated in the future.

Kindly drop us a mail the next time you plan a visit to The Orchid. We look forward to your continuous visits at The Orchid in the future and assure you of our best service and attention.

There are newer reviews for The Orchid Mumbai Vile Parle

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I had a stopover in this hotel for a night.
This can be tearmed as a complete business hotel as where ever i could see there were corporates chcecking in & checking out. I was picked up from the airport & within 3 minutes i was at the airport! this is how close it is to the domestic terminal! The rooms were very cosy and ideal for a traveller like me who wants everything proper. A little bit of work needs to be done in plastering the bathrooms & also my room looked onto a residential block in the building next door.
The food was good & friendly staff.
overall an average hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Management response:Responded September 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your positive feedback about the service of our staff, our rooms and the quality of food. Your appreciation has been shared with the team as well.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed for hardly 02 hours as had to board the connecting flight to Goa. No courtesy for the guests checking in only for 02 hours, rooms are soooo dirty, ant running on the mouthpiece of the handset in room. However, the driver from the hotel was very good.

The front desk took 15 minutes to figure out if they wanted to offer us a special rate since we were staying only for 02 hours and after much of discussion with the duty manager, they offered me such a huge discount of 1000 bucks!!!!

On check out, they did not accept Amex Credit card and said they will have to send my card to a clos eby property to have it charged!!!!

This hotel was beyond my understanding.

Room Tip: Never stay at this hotel....
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GurbaniKaur
Management response:Responded August 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

We regret that your stay was met with inconvenience. We have taken up the issue very seriously with the concerned departments regarding your feedback about the service of the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms and shall ensure that such incidents are not repeated in the future.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

The Orchid is a 5 star hotel but does not deliver that level of service. Toiletries in my room were half used, the bath had hair stuck to the rim and decor is very outdated.

The buffet is good but staff are over friendly and do not take no for an answer - although all food is labelled, I was asked if I needed help working out what they were serving. I said no I'm just looking and had to repeat myself 3 times as the staff member went ahead anyway. After recommending a wine from the list, I selected it, then the waiter returned to tell me more about the remaining wines on the list, I asked again for my original choice and he came back for a 3rd time to check!! Very frustrating!

Check out information was wrong, staff did not know what they were doing and I fail to see how this hotel justifies it's 5 star rating.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded August 26, 2012

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I had the (mis)fortune to stay for at this hotel on the 22nd-23rd Aug. I checked in at around 2100 on the 22nd and checked out on the 23rd at 1500h. I had the following experiences:-

1. I was handed over my key-card. I had to specifically ask for someone to guide me to the room (I had never been to this hotel before). The person who obliged had an expression which conveyed a personal tragedy! He did not say a word, was qhite curt and surly and when I thanked him after he left the room, he did not even look back. A rather "don't mess with me" kind of person! And I was not asked for my choice of room. And was allotted a smoking room which was literally stinking of stale smoke, with the bed-sheet dishevelled!! Honestly, I have not had such an experience in any other hotel! In any case, after I put in a request, my room was changed.

2. The dining experience was similar. There was no one around to greet a guest, or guide a guest to a table etc. In fact, the staff at the dining hall would look blankly at my face and then look away! I don't think I am so terrible in my looks:) The person who served the "chaat" had that "overworked and underpaid" demeanour. He sullenly prepared my "chaat" and curtly handed it over, without once looking at me, forget about a smile!

3. When I asked for some rice at my table, this gentleman (after a significant delay) brought me some lumpy rice in a bowl and set it on the table without bothering to serve it. In any case, there was no serving spoon provided with the bowl, so I had to use my spoon.

4. And now the best(worst) part... When I reached home, I realised that I had forgotten a pair of shorts and a napkin in the hotel-room (most probably in the bathroom or the cupboard). I rang up the hotel the same night and was connected to house-keeping. She promised to check and call back after 10 minutes. When I did not get a call for about half an hour, I rang up again. I was told that nothing had been found in my room!!

5. In other hotels that I have stayed in, it is normal for any hotel-staff (even house-keeping personnel) to flash a smile and a "how are you, Sir / Ma'am?" as a guest passes by. Not so at this hotel. In fact, the dining hall staff did not even suffix a "sir" in the little conversation I had with them.

I think that is some room for improvement....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded August 27, 2012

Dear Guest,

We, at The Orchid express our gratitude for your valuable feedback.

It is indeed a matter of concern for us that your stay was met with inconvenience.

We have spoken to the Front Office Department regarding the service of our staff and shall improve the services of the front desk and bell desk as per your valuable suggestions.

We have also spoken to the Food & Beverage Department regarding your feedback about the quality of food and the service of the staff during the course of your stay and shall rectify the problem as soon as possible.

With regard to the clothes left back in the room, we have spoken to the Housekeeping Department and have conveyed your problem to the concerned person.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Longer than expected checkin.
Gave me the keys to an already occupied room - the guest was half asleep and tolerant enough to let my unexpected entry go by without a grimace.
Room had the strong smell of phenyl on entry. Wifi not working and still waiting for the IT person to show up in my room.
All this on only my first 90 min.
The place is close to the airport but appears to have deteriorated in service since my last stay many years ago.
I'll give this place a pass from now on.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank sridhar_srin
Management response:Responded August 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

We, at The Orchid Hotel, Mumbai thank you for sparing your valuable time and effort for giving us your feedback.

We regret that your stay was met with inconvenience. We have taken up the issue very seriously with the concerned department regarding your feedback about the service of the staff and shall ensure that such incidents are not repeated in the future.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I had planned a small birthday treat for my friends in the hotels restuarant " Vindhyas" and experience was way below the par that you expect from 5 star hotel. We had opted for the set buffet for our group. While the start was fabulous with really nice starters and the best ever soup i ever tasted... the main course was the biggest let down... tasteless and the common food in any resturant in the town would have tasted better. Few thigns cold and it seemed it was straight from afternoon leftover. Finally ordered Gulab Jamun which was cold and hard and reminded me about similar experience i had when i was travelling abroad and had it... it was made and stored from few days and realized after i tasted it... Never you expect this from such a reaturant...on complaining what was replaced but it seemed it was made hot in oven and still not made fresh.

Also when we were having our starters i got it repeated couple of times as i liked it very much and much to my surprise the third time i was brought half plate which made me felt really bad and felt why i ordered...

Really it was one of my worst experience in dining at a restuarant who call them as a specialized outlet.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded August 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sparing your valuable time and effort for the feedback.

We, at The Orchid appreciate your positive feedback about the starters and soup at our South Indian specialty restaurant South of Vindhyas. Your appreciation has been shared with the team as well.

We regret that your birthday party was not met with the standards expected by you. Your feedback about the meal service in the restaurant with respect to the main course and desserts have been conveyed to the Masterchef.Request you to not let this experience deter you from visiting us in the future.