“Good as usual but losing charm!!”

Vivanta by Taj - President, Mumbai
Ranked #32 of 486 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here several times. It's always good to stay here; however this time I felt that it's losing its charm. My specific comments:

Service was excellent. No doubt about it.

Food: tasty and perfect as usual.

Room air conditioner thermostat was not working and even I keep it at 30 degrees Celsius, I was shivering.

The person who collected the valet car parking ticket from me and got my car drove it really rash that I could hear the belt sound of the car engine. I could see it because it was parked just in the front alley of the hotel near the small park. They should be instructed to be careful while
driving.

Somehow this time I felt that the bed quality was not good. It was too much "down" and was making a sound if I move.

I was in deluxe delight room and I would see the rope lights behind the artwork hanging loosely. It's risky and could cause a short circuit. They also need to check the electricals in the room as sometimes the lights used to blink as if there is a loose connection.

I was not so happy with the front office staff this time as they were too mechanical. HR needs to play a role here as these did not seem to me as engaged employees. However, the housekeeping and in room dining serving staff was excellent.

So, overall few things are lacking at the hotel and that's why I feel it's loosing its charm; because I have seen it as a super professional hotel earlier since last 7 years.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank abtraveller2
AnandPadmanabhan, Director of Sales at Vivanta by Taj - President, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai

Thank you very much for your most valuable feedback on your recent experience at the hotel.

It is our constant endeavor to serve you better and we look forward to welcoming you back at an opportune moment.

We thank you for your continued support and appreciate the same. We have noted your comments on the services, in-room decor, fittings and valet services. May we assure you that we shall review the same and take immediate corrective action on the same.

Our stance towards delivering quality is of prime importance and rest assured, we shall ensure all personal care for the future

Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai

Write a ReviewReviews (2,458)

Reviewed July 19, 2013

It is always nostalgic to visit President hotel in Mumbai. Though they keep renovating and loosing old charm, the rooms, Trattoria restaurant and the Thai Pavilion always makes one feel at home. Stayed on the 10th level with a superb harbor view. Rooms are relatively small but good for business travel and are cosy. The quality of linen and pillow as also very nice. The carpet in the corridor needs to be changed as it was looking tired. The hotel houses two of the best restaurants in town, one Italian and the other Thai and the stay at the hotel cannot be complete without dining at both these restaurants. The service element and the responsiveness can be a tad lethargic. The room service can be slow and pretty expensive as well.

Room Tip: Though both sides have sea view, the ones in the front overseeing the harbour have better view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai

We thank you for your continued support and appreciate your patronage. We have made note on your observations on services and pricing aspects and shall definitely review the same.

The Trattoria, Thai Pavilion, Konkan Cafe and the Wink have positioned Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai as the food capital in South Mumbai.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

we only stayed at the taj one night but we were very happy with our room as it ahd every thing you needed for a pleasant stay. the reception staff are wonderful. we arrived early, but nothing was a problem. the welcoming cool drink on arrival was a nice touch. as we had seen mumbai earlier in our trip and were just waiting for our flight to cochin, we stayed in the hotel the entire time and found plenty to do. many thanks to the guy who runs the gym for his help, his name escapes me. the gym has everything including sauna, steam room, day spa and every torture device known to mankind. after a few ours in there we felt like new people. the pool is excellent as well. i would be remiss not to mention the restaurants. there are three downstairs. we ate at the thai pavillion. nothing short of excellent. the food was brilliant. we have eaten at many thai restaurants and this is right up with the best. the meals are also quite large and you will not go away hungry and everything is at a very affordable price. a special thank you to the manager that night who made us so welcome.
all in all affordable luxury and a great place to rest up after two weeks of hectic india to prepare for the next stop. thank you taj for making us so welcome, cant wait to come back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gavin r

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai

We are indeed glad that your stay with us was comfortable and pleasant.

Thai Pavilion is received accolades far & wide for being the best Thai cuisine in South Mumbai and we thank you for your positive comments on the restaurant.

We welcome you to try out signature Italian cuisine at the famous Trattoria or coastal fare at the Konkan Cafe in your next stay with us.

Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai is rated as the food capital in South Mumbai and we appreciate the continued support of patrons like yourself.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Arrived at the President Mumbai hotel in Mumbai after a grueling flight experience from the USA. Techical problems and oversold flights resulted in us missing several nights in our reservation at the hotel.

We alerted the hotel to our problems when we were stranded in Europe and noticed that they immediately charged our account for the full stay. After we arrived at the hotel for part two of our journey all of the staff were very helpful and service and breakfast was fantastic. Our request to speak to a reservations manager regarding our earlier problems did not get much of a response. In this regard the hotel failed us. In not being sympathetic to problems beyond our control the hotel again failed us. We were charged for four nights and we never received an invoice. I have never experienced this in twenty eight years of world travel. The management does not actively engage with customers when an issue arises. I must say again how nice the desk and hospitality staff are. I am unhappy that I paid for four nights on a previous reservation and management still billed me after I alerted them in a timely fashion that I could not be there due to problems before my control.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank WorldRoverLondon
AnandPadmanabhan, Director of Sales at Vivanta by Taj - President, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai

We are happy to arrange for a refund of the amount pertaining to the days you had not stayed with us and request you to kindly communicate with me on the hotel email id, which is available on the website and for the attention of me.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My ordeal with this hotel began when I sent an Email asking about early check in and late check. My flight was to arrive at 11:15pm getting me to the hotel at1am. My flight departure is for 1am.
The hotel responded that they could accommodate. And the hotel proceed to make the booking. I had not done anything on any website. I had made many calls to India from the US and sent email. On one call they informed me that my reservation was the best rate. They did not give me any other option. The reservation that the hotel had sent me stated no cancellation or changes. But as our planes changed they were willing to make the adjustment even though my reservation said no changes. During calls to the hotel reservations I was transferred to the main taj reservations where they said I needed to speak to the duty manager. My problem was there is only 1 flight from Amsterdam to Mumbai and they were oversold so I could not make it to the hotel. This would only allow 1 night of my reservation but getting to the hotel at 1 am then I would have to leave the hotel at 6 am to catch an air India flight to Jaipur . I called once from Amsterdam to let them know that I would be late at least one day. The following day I called to say that I would need to cancel. Within minutes the duty manger I believe charged the entire stay. No receipt was ever sent nor any further contact by the hotel was made. I believe that since they allowed changes which was against their stated policy that they should have made accomodations on the cancelation . I stayed at the taj rambagh palace (exceptional service) and than returned back to the president after our stay. I tried to speak to the reservations manger who never seems to be available. Next I will speak to the hotel manager and ultimately file a complaint with Taj main.
The whole ordeal was made worse due to the lack of concern showed as well as lack of communication.

My advise is do not book directly with the hotel or Taj. Use a booking service such as hotels.com as they offer better rates and show all options.

During my email and phone calls I should have been advised of all options not just the one THEY choose for. As there were better options that I could have chosen

Room Tip: Use a separate online booking site
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank travellers_DC_London

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai

We are happy that your concern was addressed to your satisfaction.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Conveniently located around the town side of Mumbai - this hotel offer complete value for money.

The Taj hospitality is very seen around and the restaurants serve some fantastic food with a great variety being made available.

The rooms are a little small but quite comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
AnandPadmanabhan, Director of Sales at Vivanta by Taj - President, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I am always amazed at how many of the staff address me by name even though I visit every few months. They obviously have a process which pays attention to customer detail, eg once I'd checked in, without asking, housekeeping changed the pillows to feather ones based on my previous visit so that's a nice touch. And at one of the regular cocktail events for management to solicit customer feedback I made a request for proper "chai" at breakfast and guess what now they serve "cutting chai" in glasses, so not only do they listen but they also act. Well done. One major feature not to overlook is the Wink bar and the barmen who are excellent hosts they can make a perfect Gin & tonic, its not that I have a drink problem but they are so welcoming that it almost feels like my "local" bar "home from home" and it's good to hang out.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business