“Amazed!”

Vivanta by Taj - President, Mumbai
Ranked #30 of 456 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed January 9, 2013

In my tour I had the pleasure of staying here first, the staff of this hotel was nothing short of remarkable! they were always there to help and make you comfortable, ensuring we had everything that we needed, helped with shopping bags and so on, really was a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: All the rooms were wonderful
1  Thank MissHuny
AnandPadmanabhan, Director of Sales at Vivanta by Taj - President, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the hotel and we are most thankful for the valuable feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and rest assured, we shall ensure all personal care

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The Vivanta Taj President is indeed a luxury 5star hotel in the very south of South Mumbai, good for business travellers with work nearby or tourists (who tend to focus much time on South Mumbai's few sights).

Service: Excellent. Many staff, very polite, professional, seeking to please.

Lobby: Large marble lobby, with a few great very modern and trendy restaurants and one very popular upscale cocktail bar that's a popular spot for the rich south Mumbai residents.

Room: We had "Deluxe" room. Decently sized, excellent hardwood floors, gorgeous marble bathroom with rain shower, clean crisp linens, comfortable big bed, big TV, view into neighborhood and some water view. Negative: "Deluxe" room style has "yarn/wool" covered walls, making me feel like it was dustry and a bit "itchy"; probably more in my head, as it was very clean.

Pool: Very clean, and nice for a brief rest. Up several floors high, but still loud city traffic noise and feeling of being amidst heart of city, not too calming. Look is quite plain and boring. Staff is very friendly and helpful, and fresh bottles of water and fresh flowers laid on each sun-chair.

Location: In Cuff Parade, a business center, and near famed tourist sites of Colaba. However, we tried walking to Coloba, an area I know from a visit a few years ago, and I was reminded how big Mumbai is, even on the smallest parts of the map... took us 20+minutes to walk to Leopold's/Gateway to India, and it's an exhausting 20+minutes, like anywhere in Mumbai, up/off/over broken sidewalks, motorbikes, people, shops, construction, horns honking all the time. Take a taxi everywhere.

Room Tip: "Deluxe" room walls styled with woolen walls; despite the room being immaculately clean, w...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Great 3 night stay for a business trip.
Compact, but very clean and modern rooms. Perfect location, away from touristy India gate, but close to Khala Ghoda, NCPA and seaside.

Nice little Thai restaurant.

Appreciated the little touches to make my stay special. e.g. invitations for evening cocktails, leaving gifts on the bed e.t.c.

My only complaint is about internet access. I needed a strong connection to complete my work in the evening, but had lots of trouble connecting. Frustrating.

Room Tip: get a rooms from Lvl 11 upwards. They've been refurbished in japanese style and have a good vie...

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We recently stayed at the Taj President and were welcomed by very efficient and friendly staff. The rooms were of an impeccable standard. Breakfast was excellent, we could order any dish even though it was not on the menu and the chef would happily prepare it, as well as being served by very patient and friendly waiters. Also enjoyed ordering from room service - meals were devine as well as stylishly served. In all, we thoroughly enjoyed the stay with excellent service, style and ambience. I will definitely come back for another visit.

1  Thank Theshni M

Reviewed December 19, 2012

In the first week of a two week business trip staying at the Taj President I was woken up twice at or after midnight. The first occasion was when a member of staff knocked on my door just before midnight to investigate a problem that I had reported with my internet. There were two issues that upset me about this; firstly, I had not reported an internet fault, and, secondly, my DND sign was on, so, if I had reported such a problem, the member of staff should not have knocked on my door anyway. A further frustration was that I received no come-back from the hotel management following my complaint. This matter was partially resolved with 50% discount on a spa massage after I challenged the lack of any response to my grievance. However, only two days later I was woken up again, this time at half-past-midnight by a telephone call that was connected to my room. When I challenged this incident the hotel claimed that it could find no record of any call having been put through to my room. My advice to anyone contemplating a stay at the Taj President is top take a good pair of ear-plugs and a supply of sleeping-tablets if you want to be sure of an undisturbed night! This was my third visit to the hotel since 2005, and I have to say that the standard has fallen below my expectations. The sixth-floor room decor was rather drab and tired, and didn't appear to have changed since my first visit in 2005. Staff were keen to please, sometimes too much so, and the food in the three restaurants was good value. However, unlike other Taj Hotels that I have stayed in, the President offered no additional benefits for a long stay package, such as complimentary internet or discounts on food and laundry. The hotel is conveniently located for seeing the sights of Old Bombay, and there are plenty of local taxis available outside. However, I would avoid the old Fiat taxis, most of which should not be allowed on the road.

Room Tip: Request a sea-view room on a higher floor.

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai

We have noted your feedback, sincerely regret inconvenience and we are taking immediate corrective on the same.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed in the President for 4 nights for a wedding recently. The hotel itself is impressive, the foyer, restaurants and rooms for events. Checking in was quick and easy. The staff were very helpful on all levels, from housekeeping, restaurants, reception etc . Our room was a good sized double room, comfy beds, all of the things you would expect: robes, slippers etc, safe, iron. The bathroom was a nice size with space to keep our bits. Shower was lovely, large and good force.

The room didn’t feel as lux as you would expect from a Taj hotel. My mother got sick and they were very helpful; there is an inhouse doctor who came very quickly (at a charge).
All in all a good stay and if the main Taj is too much for you this is a good alternative.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed at Taj on a recent business trip to Mumbai. The check-in was quick. However, no help provided with my luggage or directions to my room. Very unlike a 5 star hotel...
The room I was given had a weird naphthalene smell. On reporting the problem, my room was changed and upgraded in 15 mins. But, aren't 5 start hotels supposed to check these things well in advance and confirm everything is in order?
Rear of the stay was quite uneventful. Had dinner at Thai Pavilion. Very tiny tables and no privacy at all. But, food is great.
Breakfast was fine too but very comparable to any 3 start hotel in India.
Wifi is not included in room tariff and is very expensive...better to go to the Cafe Coffee day in Maker Towers and use free wifi there.

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj President Mumbai

We have noted your feedback and we are taking immediate corrective on the same.