“uncooperative hotel - cancelled my booking”

Hotel Residency Fort
Ranked #16 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Germany
“uncooperative hotel - cancelled my booking”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked this hotel for a three nights stay. But I cancelled my booking because of a very uncooperative behavior of the hotel. So frankly spoken I can't judge about the hotel in general because I decided not to stay there - but after exchanging some emails with the Manager of the hotel I can judge about their non customer oriented behaviors.

When travelling in India buying train tickets is a real challenge for foreigners, because tickets can not be bought easily online. Usually I contact the hotels I stay and ask them to buy tickets for me in advance. So far all hotels I stayed in India have been very helpful and cooperative in this matter.

Residency Hotel is just the opposite. I sent them an email asking to buy train tickets from Mumbai to Chennai (with the train station in Mumbai being very close to the hotel). But they refused to do me that favour. Lawrence Rodricks, the Manager of the hotel, gave me (in an almost not understandable english) the advice to buy the tickets online in Germany (which is not possible - of course I would by the tickets in Europe if possible!).

My conclusion: this is an unfriendly and not customer focussed hotel. I cancelled my booking and will stay in a more professional hotel. If they refuse to help their guests then it can't be a real good hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
ResidencyHotelFort, Manager at Hotel Residency Fort, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Greetings from Mumbai. Thank you for your feedback. Since our hotel does not provide railway ticketing services we advise our guests to book through officially authorized online portals for international travelers from Makemytrip, Yarta or Cleartrip.com which also helps to facilitate in modifications and cancellations of railway bookings.

Residency Hotel & its staff strives to provide our guests with the best hospitality and services. We hope to see you in the near future and wish you the very best.

Residency Hotel - Manager
Lawrence Rodricks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was saved from a 2* review by the extremely efficient guy working at reception, who tried to fix every problem we had at the hotel. The hotel is central but not extremely safe at night. The rooms are very small and need a good clean. Our sheets weren't very clean either but reception changed them, the bathroom was also pretty dirty. The big issue with the wifi, which we had to pay for and which didn't work. When we complained to the guy at reception he kindly let us use his computer to book our flights. This hotel just lacks any charm, and it's not cheap, so we won't be going back.

• Stayed July 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I only spent one night but it was what I required. Rooms were clean, with the usual features you would expect in UK. Free wifi signal strength good. Tata/ Sky connection for TV. Receptionist could not have been more helpful - he pre-empted our requirements and made taxi arrangements/ arranged for our luggage to be stored after our check-out time, before we headed to the airport. The location was good.

The included breakfast was okay but there seemed a lot of guests for a smallish space. We were accomodated in an annex and had to walk next door to the main entrance but that was no problem. Check out at 12 rather than earlier was handy.

Room Tip: I think they were all similar from what I saw. If you're bothered, you could request to be in t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location and very helpful, friendly staff who would do absolutely anything for you, they work so hard and nothing was a bother to them. One particular member of staff on reception $$$ went put of his way to help us. Despite a few issues/misunderstandings we had with the reception staff booking us the incorrect trains etc but it was dealt with well and our overall stay at this hotel was fantastic, breakfast was great, one downfall was no free wifi and was expensive to buy, although they had free Internet on a computer in the reception area it was quite slow and sometime a queue. Overall we had a great stay, the price was right and would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2013
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I would say that my trip to India would not have been as lovely as it was without the amazing staff at The Residency that went above and beyond to help us and make us comfortable, Everyone was kind, and had great senses of humor, which helps when visiting a foreign place, The hotel was clean and welcoming, The breakfast was great, and the restaurant staff were great. Always welcoming in the am and remember you and what you want. The rooms were clean and stylish, comfortable beds. Above all though-it is the people that make this place worth the stay, what a great bunch they all were.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Guwahati, India
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights and had a pleasant experience. The staff were helpful and courteous. The Buffet Breakfast was awesome and had many varieties to choose from. Only the room allotted to me (we were three persons) was bit small and there was hardly any space to move. otherwise it was quite clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
london england
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Recommended for its price, location and staff who are attentive but do not hassle you. I stayed in the separate executive wing and it is great for privacy. stayed two nights and the monsoon had started! can walk to all the colaba attractions or taxi back for reasonable cost. i would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo