“Good Hotel, Great Location”
Review of Taj Lands End

Taj Lands End
Ranked #13 of 448 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Good Hotel, Great Location”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The best thing about the Land's End is it's location - Bandstand in Bandra with an unfettered view of the Arabian Sea and the Bandra-Worli Sealink. The hotel boasts of highly rated restaurants, banquet hotels, well-kept grounds and the Taj's legendary standards of hospitality! I enjoyed my stay here and would definitely recommend it those wanting to stay in the 'burbs.

Room Tip: Pick the higher floors for the view of the sea!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Birgit Z, General Manager at Taj Lands End, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Sid42

We are happy to learn that you found our location convenient and could use it as per your advantage. It also pleases us to learn that you were impressed with our service areas and facilities offered including Health & fitness centre. Thank you for your kind acknowledgement of our associates. We are happy that they were able to take care of all your requirements with warmth and professionalism and your appreciation will definitely be conveyed to them.

We thank you for your valuable feedback and recommendation and hope to have the pleasure of serving you again at the Taj Lands Ends, Mumbai!
If in the meantime there is anything I can do for you please feel free to let me know directly.

Birgit Zorniger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

(First, note that this review is from the perspective of one on a glamour tour of Bollywood.)

Having loved The Taj Palace but not the tourist ambience of touts galore outside, the walkabout person in me researched for an area in Mumbai where I could stroll for hours as in Kerala and Rajasthan looking at small stores and the like. Further, as a devout Los Angeleno of Bollywood's antecedent, i wanted to see how Mumbai glammed it up.

All roads led to Bandra West and Pali Hills-- Bollywood's Melrose and Sunset Blvd combined with UCLA's Westwood college area and even some Malibu type surfers and rockers.

Glen of Taj Palace concierge set up my transfer to Taj Lands End, and really he did all of it from finding a room to negotiating the rate to getting me transport--as 5 star concierge ought to!

So did little Taj Lands End measure up to the Taj brand? First, I was not greeted at all. It seemed everyone else was getting a Namaste with garland but me. And I showered and was better dressed than when I arrived at the Palace from the jungles of Kerala.

I also stood for a good ten minutes waiting to check in. The staff seemed overwhelmed and frazzled, and yes it'd only be fair to compare them with their fellow brand in Mumbai. They were not mean or discriminatory in an obvious sense--they just seemed to not see me. I was like Ralph Ellison, invisible but in India.

So my American aggressiveness came out and I asked for service, and I got it. No I did not make a scene, I simply sat in the chair opposite a lady who was checking in. This is quite aggressive for me when in Asia where I do wait to be assisted. but.... If I sat at the couches, I'd have been there forever. Somehow at the Taj Palace, no one waited. From the time people entered the door they were assisted. At this Taj, it was NOT the case.

I'm not going to compare the rooms because its unfair with the history and architecture of Palace. The room can compare with Shangrila and Fairmont Hotels.

There are good things... Housekeeping was EXCELLENT so the 3 points are actually for them. Without them I'd have given it a 1.

Location is excellent but make sure to ask for ocean view as Taj Concierge Glen Menezes did for me when he booked me. Megastar Shah Rukh Khan's Mumbai digs are right next door so you can't get more Bollywood than that. Pali nightlife is a five minute ride. Walkabout by the beach is wonderful, and the trail to the churches are relaxing.

Breakfast was good and extensive. Somehow the egg service was rather awkward with me getting the impression that it was odd or unexpected for me to order. The wait staff was solicitous and gracious. Their good work stopped me from giving service a zero.

Whereas at the Palace, the hotel was the attraction itself, at Lands End the neighborhood is the ace to be. I got my fix if walkabout and meeting new friends. Wonderful warm smart and friendly people in Pali, ESP the Pali Village Cafe and its newer sister where I spent much time star gazing at Mumbai's jetset.

I was sad to see The Kloset near Hawaiian Shack had closed. It was apparently the only open space where the genY LGBT and friends crowd could hang out without threat of a raid as what happened at the Voodoo Club which remained closed.

Yes, of course the check in snub didn't break my stay. I elaborate in it here for the purpose of the review. I had a grand time in Bandra West Pali Hills. There are other hotels with their own dance clubs like the President and Renaissance for those coming here for the party scene as I was. Even without the poor service at check in, I'll likely check in closer to Turner Road or anywhere closer to the night life if that were the reason for my return.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Bale Tula

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 19, 2013

No doubt one of the best hotels in Bombay.
One of the advantages of staying here is that their rooms are large, bright and all the rooms have a sea view.
Their breakfast spread is awesome with a huge variety, and if a particular item is not available, they go that extra mile to get it for you.
They have one of the best Chinese restaurants- Ming Yang. Their chef David, always smiling, goes out of his way design something special if requested for .
And their pool side is beautiful. It feels like a resort away from the city.
Truly a home away from home.

Room Tip: The front rooms have a full sea view where as the rooms at the back have the sea link view. Both are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Birgit Z, General Manager at Taj Lands End, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Rekkha,

Greetings from Taj Lands End, Mumbai!

We thank you for choosing to stay with us and also for sharing your detailed stay experience here on TripAdvisor.

Taj Lands End, Mumbai is located in the self sustained lifestyle Bandra and Ideally poised to offer breathtaking views of the sea, buzzing with activity and throbbing with life. It also pleases us to learn that you were impressed with our service areas and facilities offered including Health & fitness centre. Thank you for your kind acknowledgement of our associates. We are happy that they were able to take care of all your requirements with warmth and professionalism and your appreciation will definitely be conveyed to them.
The Taj Lands End, Mumbai is known for ‘taking an extra step’ and providing our guests with more exciting culinary experiences.
With that said, Ming Yang our fine dine restaurant , We always believe in intrinsic value in our guests money by introducing them to a spread of culinary preparations.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed August 17, 2013

There is a saying in India that if you do not like the service in any 5 star hotel in India then you "should try THE TAJ properties in MUMBAI". There is no way you will be disappointed with the service. As a person who expects great service since you are pretty much paying for it, i was blown away at The Taj Lands End.
We stayed in a club room which has butler service and cocktail hours from 6pm to 8 pm on the house, etc, etc. The rooms have fantastic sea view and the baths are well laid out. The warmth that this hotel offers is exemplary and the club lounge has some fantastic staff who at 8pm would ensure you have had a good time at the lounge with the cocktails and snacks.
Experience The Taj Lands End and you will crave for it everytime. Definitely one of the best hotels in terms of service that i have seen GLOBALLY.

Room Tip: Take the club room though its a little more pricey but its definitely worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sumedh Reddy,

Greetings from Taj Lands End, Mumbai!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj Lands End, Mumbai.
Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future.
Thanks ever so much for sharing your feedback.
We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj Lands End, Mumbai soon.

Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Another stellar Taj property but cannot beat Taj Mahal Palace and Towers. With the bandstand right across the street and many-a-star as neighbor, the location is perfect!

Pros: (1) Excellent hospitality (2) Perfect Location (3) great food

Cons: (1) Beware of irresponsible floor-mates who can play Punjabi music at the highest decibel and smoke in a non-smoking floor - though not really the hotel's fault! (2) More suited for relaxed travel than for business travels - more "crowded" than anticipated

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Quirky28,

Greetings from Taj Lands End, Mumbai!

It is indeed a pleasure to know that you decided to stay with us during your recent visit to Mumbai and value your business and choice.
We thank you for sharing a detailed account of your experience as it is quintessential in our journey to improve guest satisfaction. We strive to deliver exceptional service and to create memorable experiences for all our guests; your feedback will go a long way in helping us achieve the same. We are pleased to know that you found the location of the hotel to be an added advantage. We are glad that your first few nights at the hotel were comfortable and that you found the rooms to be spacious and well-equipped.
I deeply regret the fact that you had to face a problem and sincerely apologize for the same. Please be rest assured that we will look into the concern raised and do everything possible to ensure such an incident is not repeated.
We assure you that on your next visit you will not face any unpleasant situation and will have a pleasurable stay with nothing but the best standards of service and amenities.
We look forward to welcoming you again to the warmth and hospitality of Taj Lands End, Mumbai!

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great service and care right from the time you step into the hotel from security to reception, to bell boys, housekeeping, restaurants, Gym, Spa, Lounge was excellent. We were made felt at home and part of the establishment. This was our first stay and surpassed our expectation.

Room Tip: We were on 22nd floor facing the sea and felt like being on cruise and having the sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Birgit Z, General Manager at Taj Lands End, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Surya S,

Greetings from Taj Lands End, Mumbai!

It brings me immense pleasure to hear that you chose to stay with us during your recent visit to Mumbai and found the services and amenities to be up to your desired expectations.

It pleases me to hear that you found the overall ambience of the hotel positive and found the view from your room spectacular. We offer the largest entry size rooms in North Mumbai city and I’m glad that you found these spacious and comfortable. I’m glad the associates were able to take care of your needs and requirements and serve you with warmth and courtesy. We offer a total of four food and beverage venues in the hotel. Vista, our all day dining multi-cuisine restaurant that offers guests an experience of flavors from across the world

Pune
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great views from the club lounge exclusive to the executive floor. Rooms are good with a sea view. Shahrukh Khan is your neighbour. We saw Salim Khan ( Salman Khan's dad)walking with his cronies on the sea front promenade in front of the hotel. Decent pool and spa facilities. Would stay again

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the Executive floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Birgit Z, General Manager at Taj Lands End, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Kiran232,

Greetings from Taj Lands End, Mumbai!

We are glad you chose to stay with us during your visit to Mumbai. It pleases me to know that your stay was comfortable and you found the services and amenities to be up to your desired expectations.
We offer the largest entry size rooms in the North Mumbai city and I’m glad you found these spacious and comfortable.
We thank you for your valuable feedback and recommendation and hope to have the pleasure of your continued visits to Taj Lands End, Mumbai!