2,910 results
All reviews eau bar fenix restaurant anupam dasgupta marine drive nariman point arabian sea ocean view queen's necklace executive suite butler service indian restaurant the general manager world class excellent hotel amazing service business trip special mention
Reviewed November 27, 2018

I've been to 50 countries. I've stayed at a lot of 5-star hotels, and I can say with certainty that the Oberoi, Mumbai has some of the best service in the world. I stayed there with my husband for five nights during Navratri in one of the ocean view suites, which was hands-down one of the best values for money I've ever experienced. This place is SO CHEAP for how good it is. Like, 1/10 the cost of the Oberoi Amarvilas, but you can tell from the moment you step into the air-conditioned Mercedes at the airport and the respectful chauffeur hands you a room service menu, that you are in an Oberoi. Simply no hotel chain does it like the Oberoi does. Honestly, the service is so seamless that I would suggest every American hotel chain send their managers over to India to experience it, because it is so far beyond what any American company can produce, there really isn't any comparison.

So, what makes it so good? The staff are clearly proud of working there. There are enough people on staff (a contrast that was particularly notable when we went to the Taj Falaknuma in Hyderabad next where they were notably and annoyingly understaffed, which is a particularly noticeable problem in India, which over the years has defined luxury service by having lots of people on staff, which I've always found to be a nice stimulator of the economy and creator of jobs). The staff is well organized and extremely well managed, and their roles are clear which allows each person to fully own and optimize their own position, which created comfort and reliability for us. They are genuinely happy to help. They remember your name and your room number, so unlike other luxury hotels (St. Regis, I'm talking to you), you don't have a troop of staffers following you around, asking invasive questions to prove that you're staying there, making you feel like you're tiptoeing around in some business mogul's house to which you were not invited. They make their good service feel effortless, which is not something to take lightly. I've only seen it done a handful of times.

So, great service, the room and bed were large and comfortable with a separate shower and bath, it had great views out over the water to Malabar Hill, and a fantastic location if you want to be able to walk in Mumbai, because it is along one of the cleanest, safest waterfronts in India. I honestly never thought I'd just stroll around at 11pm in Mumbai, but walking to Pizza By the Bay at midnight was such a fantastic local pleasure. We walked to the National Theater to see a musical, and then took a 10-minute uber to the royal opera house to see another. We then walked to the beach for a Ramleela (it was night 2 of Navratri), and took a cheap and easy uber back. It's less than 15 minutes by car from the Taj Mahal Hotel and the Gateway of India (where you take the ferry to Elephanta), and it is even closer to most of the major art museums and galleries, so in terms of proximity to tourist attractions, it's in a really good location without feeling like a foreign tourist bomb, which is how the Taj Mahal Hotel feels (we ate there and couldn't get away fast enough). With the subway construction, it wasn't reasonable to walk to the Gateway of India (welcome to modern Mumbai), but it was still conveniently close by car.

Because Mumbai has such bad traffic, you should definitely stay near where you need to be, and a liability of this hotel is that it is quite far from the airport, so I would definitely not recommend it for a short stay. It is also 2 hours in traffic from High Street Phoenix (a modern mall in a newer business district of Mumbai), so if you need to do business there, you'd be better off staying at the St. Regis over in that area. On a related side note, we had wanted to see Falguni Patak doing her garba queen performance for Navratri, and we ended up not going, because this hotel is a solid 3-4 *hours* in traffic from the performance arena, which is northwest of the airport. That is not a consideration for most people staying there, but if you are going for Navratri, staying closer to the airport is a better plan.

The food was good, and they had several restaurants to choose from. Surprisingly, the room service menu was our favorite. The paneer makhani, bhindi and naan were all really good, while the western food wasn't particularly good. One of the restaurants where we ate twice (maybe 3 times) had a michelin-rated chef doing modern Indian, which we enjoyed, although we didn't love every item served. We liked their veg much better than their non-veg, and it was fun to try some of the Indian wines, especially Sula, which have improved markedly in the last 10 years. The staff was very attentive and responsive to our feedback, and they even hand-wrote a recipe for me to take home, which felt very personal for a restaurant of that calibre. The breakfasts were generally good (only minor gripe was that they did not refrigerate their yogurt most days to the point that it was often warmer than room-temperature thanks to the spotlights in the buffet, which was too warm for our food safety standards), and we particularly enjoyed a parsi dish on the hot menu of eggs baked on top of spiced tomatoes (which we often mixed with the next parsi dish down, which was a spicy parsi lamb dish). They were very responsive to our request to make things spicier, since by default they take the careful route on the level of spice.

One thing funny to note is that this hotel is directly connected to the Trident Hotel. If I were choosing between them, I would DEFINITELY choose the Oberoi if the prices were within $100 of each other. The Oberoi was about 10 degrees F cooler via air-conditioning, while the lobby of the Trident always smelled like a buffet and was filled with hot, bored, angry foreign tour groups (a lot of Italians for some reason). The Oberoi felt like the place where people who know luxury and know India come to quietly and comfortably gather, while the Trident felt like the place the tour operators found a big enough block of rooms to accommodate a bus of angry foreigners. Both hotels are directly connected to a small mall (not a modern one), where you really need to bargain to get an okay price on cashmere - if this is your first stop in India, I'd recommend avoiding it until you've had some practice in the marketplace.

Otherwise, a few other tips and compliments: Our housekeeper was amazing. She made us feel at home. She gave me coconut oil for my henna, and didn't bat an eye after I'd done my best but still littered the room with crumbling henna. She remembered our names and asked about our day and when it would be convenient for her to come to the room. I felt like she really meant it. The concierge was also very helpful. At first we weren't thrilled by the suggestions they offered for our trip to Elephanta and a few other itineraries, but when we got there in person, one of the female concierges (I wish I remembered her name), was very blunt and honest with us about why they'd offered the itineraries they had, and what she thought would be better given our needs. She was right, and I was grateful for her help. The guide they connected us with on Elephanta was a little expensive, but good. He lived on the island (very rare), and was definitely worth the money.

The special lounge for people staying in suites was also excellent. It was convenient, on the ground floor, comfortable with interesting coffee-table books of local interest, including many with historical pictures of Mumbai that were fun to look at, and the service was extremely attentive. They offered free beverages, including top-shelf liquor, and warm appetizers, and they remembered our names and were happy to serve. It was so good, we began planning our meals around the experience, because it felt very homey.

On a side note, they also had a lot of women in senior positions, which was noticeable... and great. We observed a number of customer issues, such as when the main restaurant had filled up during breakfast and they started having to send people to an overflow room, and the women in charge of the situation managed it with calm professionalism, while some of the men seemed flustered. Overall, every interaction we had with a female member of staff was exceptional, and while the men were okay too, the professionalism of the women really shone through.

Unless you really need to feel like you're driving around in Emirates First Class all the time, you don't need to pay for the hotel car. They go to the gateway of india for free (nice!), but otherwise ubers are perfectly fine to use in Mumbai and are about 1/20 of the cost.

That said, huge heads up: The "International Terminal" (T2) and the "Domestic Terminal" (T1) of the Mumbai airport (both with the airport code: BOM) ARE NOT THE SAME AIRPORT. They are 5 km from each other, but in Mumbai traffic, that can take an hour or longer. There is no official transportation service between them, and it can take 30 minutes for ubers to come. We flew back from Bangalore on Indigo to Mumbai, and needed to get to the international terminal for a flight on Emirates to Dubai, and despite flying Emirates business class, they refused to give us a chauffeur car for the transfer (big angry sad face to Emirates on that one). At a total loss of how to make our connection on time, we called the only place in India we thought could help us: The Oberoi. Between the concierge at the Oberoi Bangalore (where we'd just been staying), and the Oberoi Mumbai, we had a representative meet us at the airport in Mumbai and help us with our bags to the Oberoi's car, which transported us between terminals. They turned what was otherwise an extremely stressful day into one where we felt completely supported in India, and for that, I can't give them enough stars. Good. On. Ya.

Room tip: Suites are worth it if you get a good price
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Singafornian
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2018

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Mumbai and thank you for sharing a detailed review of your stay, on TripAdvisor.

We are very very happy to read that the hospitality at The Oberoi, Mumbai was the best you have experienced in your extensive travels. I am also delighted to read that you were well looked after and that you were impressed by the service and that you enjoyed the bar, the restaurants, the transfers, the location, the room and the view from the hotel.

The Oberoi Mumbai, is indeed an oasis in the midst of the busy city Mumbai is. With its location, overlooking the ocean, our guests have magnificent views and an ideal boulevard for leisurely walks.

Our team is committed to exceeding our guest’s expectations and your feedback will motivate everyone to strive harder. The team and I believe, that it is the small details, which make a big impression and help us to create very special moments for our guests and create everlasting memories.

Thank you once again for such a detailed review and for so highly recommending The Oberoi, Mumbai to our TripAdvisor viewers.

I do hope that you will return soon and give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed November 27, 2018 via mobile

My first time to India and Mumbai. What an oasis of calm, peace and tranquility is the Oberoi from the noise, heat, hustle and bustle of the City. First class service - staff with genuine smiles, Namaste gestures as a matter of course, nothing too much trouble. Staff sincerely interested in you making the most of your time in the City - generous and helpful with their recommendations whether it be an outside restaurant or somewhere to shop. The simple things done well mean so much.

We enjoyed an excellent meal in Vetro with Francesco, the chef, personally coming over at the end of the meal to sit and chat.

Travelling with close friends, one of whom is elderly, I was humbled by the respect, courtesy and careful attention paid to our elderly companion. Rare indeed.

A fantastic hotel, managed with care leading to a truly memorable stay.

2  Thank Fearless08789971896
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2018

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we thank you for sparing your valuable time to post feedback of your stay on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed the calm and serene ambience of the hotel. The Oberoi Mumbai is indeed an oasis in the midst of the hustle and bustle of Mumbai. With its location overlooking the ocean, our guests have magnificent views besides being in the calm of the hotel. I am also that the team looked after you and ensured that all your requests are taken care of.

Your generous praise has been shared with entire team and with Chef Francesco for making your stay a memorable one.

The team and I, hope that you have many more opportunities to visit us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 26, 2018 via mobile

Always a pleasure to spend time in this hotel. Oberoi are usually close to perfect and this stay did not disappoint.

Stunning views, exceptionally service everywhere and a really exceptional Italian restaurant. Highly recommend.

Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank 971MarkS

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we appreciate your time to share feedback of your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are very happy to read that your experience on your recent trip at The Oberoi, Mumbai was close to perfect and that you enjoyed the splendid views of the ocean, the service and especially your dining experience at Vetro.

Thank you for your generous feedback and for so highly recommending The Oberoi, Mumbai on TripAdvisor.

The team and I, look forward to your continued visits.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 26, 2018 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights at the end of our trip to India- what a fabulous way to round off an amazing adventure. Total comfort and round the clock pampering. The personnel at this elegant hotel could not have been more helpful and went out of their way to make our visit to Mumbai special and memorable. The concierge suggested some fabulous local restaurants and helped us to navigate our way around the neighbourhood by taxi or foot providing maps and fare estimates. Our lovely room was large and luxurious and had wonderful views over the city and the bay and was full of small touches-luggage freshening spice pockets and a pouch to keep our chargers safe.
I wish I could remember who to single out for special praise but honestly every person we dealt with was so kind. I would particularly like to recommend the restaurant. Chef Francesco Francavilla runs an outstanding Italian kitchen which was a totally unexpected delight. I will certainly be back.

3  Thank BizziLizzi44

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we appreciate your time to post feedback of your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are elated to read your review and to note that your 2night stay at The Oberoi was superlative and that the team ensured that you were well looked after.

I am also happy to read that you enjoyed the service, the magnificent view, the location, and the personal touches offered by the Housekeeping team.

I have personally shared your compliments with the entire team and especially with Chef Francesco, they are all delighted to note that their contribution has been appreciated and recognised by you.

The team and I, hope that you have many more opportunities to visit us again back to your preferred destination in Mumbai.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 26, 2018 via mobile

Fenix offers the Citiy’s best cusine and service. All kudos to the Chef & waiters. Keep up the good work. The ambience is also great because I like big spaces and Fenix becomes an extension of the Lobby

Dear Mr. Taparia,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we appreciate your time to post feedback of your stay on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience at Fenix and that you were impressed by the ambience, the food and the service.

Thank you for your generous feedback.

The team and I, look forward to your continued visits.