“Incredible Lobby and Flawless Service, a must-stay”
Review of The Oberoi, Mumbai

The Oberoi, Mumbai
Ranked #1 of 456 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I am spending 3 nights at the Oberoi in Mumbai. I've been in India for over a month and this is by far my favorite spot. The hotel is spotless. The lobby is so grand and impressive. I love the spotless, white floors, 20 story internal atrium and beautiful red grand piano. The staff are so friendly. This morning, when leaving for breakfast, I called to have my room made up. Upon returning, the housekeeping staff spotted me in the hallway, informed me that the room was made up and asked if I'd like some extra bottles of water. What a nice touch. I love that they have a 24-hour spa, which I'll be using after a full day of sight-seeing tonight. Really can't recommend this place enough.

One comment (same feedback I gave to the Leela in Delhi), please deliver coffee faster at breakfast. Waiting 15 minutes for a cup of coffee is not something that those visiting from the west enjoy. Sorry, but we really need our caffeine in the morning. The breakfast buffet appears a bit less expansive than other places I've visited, but don't neglect ordering a bunch of things from the menu to round out the experience.

So far, I have no other recommendations for you to improve.

Room Tip: I booked the lowest category room and was upgraded to a premier ocean view room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we thank you for sparing your valuable time to review us on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed the ambience and the overall product and the service of the hotel.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you, with regards to the delay in coffee service. I have personally addressed your feedback with the relevant Department Heads to retrain the team and I am confident that you will see a marked improvement on your next stay at our hotel.

Your generous compliments have been shared with the entire team for whom it will be a tremendous source of inspiration.

We value your patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel reinstored my faith in Oberoi as a world leading chan. Would go back there tomorrow! Loved the property and location, great dining and impeccable service, the entire staff went out of their way to accommodate our requests. Restaurant staff was wonderful and both concierge and front office were truly extraordinary. Porter even helped me to pay taxi when I was out of Rupees!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and for sharing your encouraging feedback through TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that you an enjoyable experience at our hotel.

Your appreciation of our team members makes us proud and inspires them to create moments of joy for our guests.

It is indeed very motivating to know that The Oberoi, Mumbai will be your preferred hotel in Mumbai.

We do hope that you have the occasion to visit us again very soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Booked based on reviews and decent price through American express preferred hotels. From the moment of arrival through to departure, a team of professional, interested and friendly staff eager to please. Upgraded to a suite on arrival, incredible size and facilities as well as every conceivable toiletry accessory including loofahs and nail clippers and finishing touches like popcorn delivered when a dvd requested.
Amazing room and public areas, though three time more staff than customers. Pool was closed for refurbishment which was very disappointing. Breakfast excellent and staff keen to showcase indian specialties which were tasty.
When the white wine wasn't quite chilled another bottle was brought and poured with the waiters compliments as it wasn't right in the first place. Small hiccup on checkout around some charges for the complimentary dinner we had but after a couple of explanations later saw it resolved. Highly recommend for a stay for location and facilities.

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at The Oberoi during your recent visit to Mumbai and we thank you for sharing your detailed feedback through TripAdvisor.

We are very happy to receive your feedback and to note that you were impressed with the service and the facilities of the hotel.

I apologise that you were unable to use the pool during your stay at the hotel, as it was closed for its annual maintenance. However, the pool is now operational.

Your generous praise of our team members is very rewarding and will inspire them to scale greater heights of excellence.

Thank you for recommending The Oberoi, Mumbai. We eagerly await your return in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had always heard about the vaunted Oberoi service, but my recent trip to Mumbai has confirmed this fact. Right from the moment I landed at the airport to the time I left the property the service was exceptional. The attention to detail was amazing, so many little things that any other 5 star may have missed, they did not. There were little touches throughout our stay, that made my experience a memorable one.

Not to mention I had a great meal at Ziya which further added to my wonderful experience.

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Mumbai!

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we thank you for sparing your valuable time to review us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that you had a memorable stay and that you were impressed by the overall service and the facilities of the hotel.

Your appreciation of our team members makes us proud and encourages us to strive harder for excellence.

Thank you for recommending The Oberoi, Mumbai. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family and I stayed here for four nights at the end of a three week tour of India. Having stayed in a whole range of hotels in India we were very pleased with the value for money here. We took three double rooms and used room service numerous times as well as the restaurants and shops. The staff were very welcoming and helpful throughout, we really couldn't have asked for more. We don't normally stay in 5 star luxury but there are so many offers on with, for example, one night free, it does actually work out good value. The food is absolutely amazing, as is the presentation and service. Yes expensive for India but when you compare what you get in Europe, staying here is an absolute bargain. This will be the first choice for my family and I on our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and for sparing your valuable time to review us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that your family and you had a wonderful stay.

It is very encouraging to learn that The Oberoi, Mumbai will be your preferred hotel in Mumbai.

Thank you for recommending us. The team and I, look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Mumbai.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The key difference for me between a "trying" 5 star and a real 5 star is the service. Whether it is genuine and whether there is thoughtfulness.

There are no 5 star hotels in Australia, despite what Australians may say. There are many in Asia and some in Europe with the price tags to suit, but the Oberois in India are, dollar for dollar, real 5 star at the right value.

The service at the Oberoi has been extraordinary. From the moment leaving the airplane and finding the driver there is a level of thoughtfulness...the phone call in the car to welcome me and to ask if dinner is required since I arrived at midnight and it was a long flight, the preparedness of check-in in my room with all the details complete - just need to sign, with a herbal team all ready on arrival to help me relax and get some sleep - to the "official" arrival in the morning because I was so tired the night before... so many examples of service and thoughtfulness.

I saw families check in with young children and porters and helpers coming from nowhere to help the family with their bags and goodies. I like to see how hotels treat families because I also see that as a sign of real service.

The Ziya was a real treat (see Restaurant review).

I truly enjoy staying at The Oberoi hotels in India, I need to go to all of them, and just sit, relax and enjoy the company of genuine hospitality with a cup of tea and good conversation.

The Oberoi Mumbai: get the room facing the ocean. Try the executive suite or better if you can. The room, being the size of two with a work place and lounge plus the bedroom just makes it more enjoyable to sit and relax during a rainstorm or for chilling out.

Room Tip: The pool is being renovated at this time (Aug 2103) through to at least Sept but you can use the Tri...

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we thank you for sharing your detailed feedback of the hotel through TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that you had an enjoyable stay and that you have taken fond memories of your stay with us.

Your feedback is very encouraging and will inspire us to continue creating moments of joy for our guests.

Thank you once again and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The hotel is excellent.
Staff is friendly and helpful. Perfect location with good sea view. The rooms were clean and modern though slightly small.
The breakfast was scrumptious...mix of buffet for basics and gourmet a la carte options to choose from.
Ordered room service and the food was great with good portions and value.
Definitely will stay here again. Well done Oberoi!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Imraan J

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we thank you for sharing your encouraging feedback through TripAdvisor.

We are very happy to note that you enjoyed the location, the service, the food and the room.
Your feedback is very inspiring and motivating.

The team and I, look forward to your return in the not too distant future.