“Tired and needs another facelift....not the Taj I remember .”

Ranked #5 of 489 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on business 24-25 June and came away disappointed.First time Ive stayed since 2007 and wont be rushing back.As you would expect,security was exceptionally high on approaching the hotel which was reassuring.
The room was rather dull and dingy,whilst the bathroom was in need of a major refurb.There was no seperate shower and basically felt like a typical rubbish UK 4 start hotel.
The service in the bars/restaurant was very good although expensive for what it was.
They really need to up there game and take a lesson from Taj Lands End.Will try Oberoi or similar next time,its such a shame as I use to really like it here.

Room Tip: Try the old part of the hotel,cant be any worse .
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank CHOPSKI
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us. We appreciate your feedback, as it is indeed the pre-eminent barometer by which we can measure our achievements and shortfalls, in providing the best of services to our valued guests, such as yourself.

I have also noted your feedback on the quality of room and bathroom and appreciate your honest feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

Gaurav Pokhariyal

Write a ReviewReviews (7,225)

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We started our holiday in Mumbai for 5 days and this was our first visit to India. We later moved on to the Leela hotel in Goa.
Upon our arrival which was early a.m. before daybreak we were given a room with a sea view in the Tower section of the hotel. The room had a bad odour smell and the following day we complained and were transferred to a deluxe room on a higher floor. These rooms are similar to a typical Premier Inn in UK and are definitely not 5 star. These rooms require refurbishing to bring the Tower section of the hotel back to good standard.
The old part of the hotel is spectacular and reminded me of our stay at Raffles in Singapore.
The staff are very pleasant and helpful.
The Zodiac restaurant is excellent and should not be missed.
The Health Spa provided an excellent service during our stay.
Nothing much to do in Mumbai and when we went out to do some photography we were bombarded with people begging for money.
A word of warning to anyone visiting this area is to avoid salads and fruit plates, even in 5 star rated hotels. During our stay the city was under a spell of gastro diseases and 350 people were suffering from typhoid.

Room Tip: Make sure you view your room before accepting it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kag-ok
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I have also noted your feedback on the quality of room in the Tower Wing and appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Was concerned the rooms would be outdated and although the tower room was not large, it was bright, extremely comfortable and had a great view. Would not now stay anywhere else in Mumbai, great position and excellent service.

Room Tip: Tower rooms have small balcony with views over Gateway to India. good for smokers!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CyanS

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have stayed there for 2 Nights with my friends and returned with big smile. I found the true meaning of Hospitality in TAJ. They pamper you like anything !!!! We have booked City View Room and while we checked in they immediately upgrade us to Sea View Room.Breakfast was good. All the facilities was well backed up by excellent service. The staff was attentive all the time and ready to serve almost all your needs !! Interestingly Our all requests were met! Like sea view room - Late Checkout etc. Initially I did not found Shaving Kit and Toothbrush-paste in bathroom, but on call they provided the same.
I must recommend and will come back again in Taj Mahal Palace .

Room Tip: Nothing better than a Heritage wing !!! If you can afford take a room in a Heritage wing facing the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank holidaysmaker
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future.

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Read quite a few good reviews before I decided to stop by Sea Lounge on Taj Palace Mumbai for high tea. It is buffet style cost 1500 INR per head. The price includes tea pot for each person The waiter automatically poured water for us without asking. At the end, there was an extra 200 INR charge for water. Indeed there is no really need for water since there is self serve ice tea as well. The variety of food are quite many which includes street food in a fancy way. There are only about 5 tables near window which can overlook Gateway India. If you don't get those tables, there is nothing special about this place. I expected nicer dinning sets, tea pot but unfortunately it is a quite normal / plain one.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Travelover64

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I have noted your feedback on the High Tea at Sea Lounge and appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We had a beautiful sea facing room in palace ( old section) of this hotel, and the experience was truly extraordinary, largely thanks to the attentive room staff and other staff. You are made to feel , like a movie star in this hotel, the staff think of your needs before you do.
We booked a room I the tower section of the hotel, this was originally a separate hotel, not part of the Taj Mahal palace, it was taken over and joined to the hotel some years ago. The section referred to as the towers was built in 1940s. It is very substandard compared with the rest of the hotel, but also very cheap.
When the house made saw we used eye glasses, clothes for wiping the lenses were left for us, when they noted we had computer cables, velcroe cable ties were installed for us. The list was endless, the thoughtfulness never stopped. Our room was serviced about 5 times a day, our clothing and other personal effects immaculately tidied up each time, plus bed straightened, toiletries refreshed, boots cleaned etc.
On the down side, food was not up to scratch. It was expensive as to be expected, but substandard. We have eaten at many 5 star hotels in India, sadly this was the worst. The Naans were terrible, the lentil and potato curry ordered from room service menu repulsive. The hamburger bread on the bottom was wet and soggy and inedible, as cook put mushrooms and onions just fried on the bread, should have been put as a side. Trouble is you are miles from the closest other 5 star hotel, and if you are too sensitive to eat local food, you are stuck with the food here. The breakfast for sea facing restaurant was good, and the head waiter looked after us very well. That was the exception, all other food was very below standard. We love Indian food,it is one of the reasons we frequent India, and sadly the only reason we will not return to this amazing hotel. Bed quality fantastic. Pure opulence at its best, the art work, furniture and architecture of this grand hotel is sure to impress.

Room Tip: Do not book tower room, if you can not afford to stay in palace room, you will not afford the food o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marellalouise
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. I have also noted your feedback on the quality of food and appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

As a hotelier, I am familiar with the day to day running of a hotel. The Taj Palace, Mumbai lived up to all expectations of five star service. I travel extensively for business and pleasure and was made to feel so special by all staff that I came in contact with. Special mention must go to the housekeeping staff that took care of all our needs. They were discreet yet attentive and so considerate! To The Deputy housekeeper, Ms Shruti Daruka and the entire team, thank you for teaching me what service excellence is all about. Needless to say, my stay was unforgettable and I look forward to returning. My husband and I stayed for 6 nights until 10 June 2014.
Couglan and Niranjini Pather

Room Tip: Suite 334, excellent corner location , great facilities and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank NiranjPather
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Pather,