“The Jewel in the Crown of Taj Hotels” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Taj Mahal Palace

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #2 of 424 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
London, United Kingdom
“The Jewel in the Crown of Taj Hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I stayed here twice during my latest trip to India. I had a Palace Room on both occasions and used the Club Room facilities. Beautiful hotel, with history and style. In my opinion this is the very best hotel I have ever stayed in India, and I have been to quite a few different palaces in various areas.

I gave the travel desk a difficult problem, and they were more than up to the job and solved the issue in a timely manner. The Concierge service was also enormously helpful and efficient.

I recommend this hotel without reservation.

Room Tip: Palace rooms are superb.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, March 15, 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future.

Thanks ever so much for sharing your feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,368)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Chennai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I initially booked a room through my corporate booking portal in Taj President and when I checked into the Hotel, I've been upgraded to the Taj Mahal Palace as I think the rooms are full or they wanted to do it for few customers based on some logic. But the way its been done has to be commended. Initially when I entered the hotel, I had an injury in my finger and it was bleeding. I think something cut my finger when I was getting out of the Taxi Cab which I didn't realise. The front office staff (I forgot to note down the names) were quick enough to address it and gave me some band-aids for temporary relief. I was really impressed. Added to it a staff personally accompanied me in a car from this hotel to the upgraded hotel and was there till the check in formalities were complete. I was stunned at the importance shown to a customer. Really a wonderful experience as a customer and its evident in the faces of their staff. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Rooms facing India gate / sea will be a good one.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Dewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed here for seven nights with my family, my room was huge.the service sas outstanding, staff extremely polite.concierge were so helpful and assisted me with the best locations for shopping.
The lobby has a wonderful ambience and beautiful decor. The pool area is fantastic. A truly amazing experience.... Unforgettable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Taj Mahal Palace is such an iconic landmark thanks to its proximity to Gateway of India and the historical context. I have stayed here a few times in the palace rooms. Everything about this place is so carefully put together, from the infrastructure to the service, that no hotel can match it. It is without a doubt my favourite hotel to work from in India.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, March 16, 2014

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We booked for two nights in a sea view Palace room, but were upgraded to a 'club' room on the 5th floor. This gave us access to the lounge on the ground floor which offered plenty of treats and indulgences including afternoon high tea, cocktail hour and at 21.30 'cognac and chocolates'! The room had a stunning view across to the Gateway of India and was as well appointed as you would expect. As it was my birthday they had decked out the room with balloons, petals, a Happy Birthday pillow and even a delicious birthday cake.

Service was exceptional wherever we went in the hotel. We ate in the main international restaurant and the Chinese Golden Dragon. We had breakfast in the sea room which overlooks the Gateway and the following day on the terrace outside near the pool. In all instances the service and food were excellent. We used the pool one afternoon and also on the morning before we had to leave for the airport. We were given chilled bottles of water at frequent intervals which was a nice touch.

In our 48 hours I even had time for a massage in the Jiva Spa. The combination of pre-massage steam room plus the massage itself really set me up for the rest of the day.

I guess we already came with high expectations but these were easily surpassed. The icing on the cake, though was the Heritage tour of the Palace wing, which happens every day at 5pm, starting at the Palace reception. We were escorted and entertained by Viren who is the hotel's aptly named Experience Manager. We had a really entertaining 90 minute tour of the building. Viren certainly knows his stuff and his enthusiasm for his topic was contagious! If you have the time I really would recommend that you take the tour.

We will certainly aim to return......

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Faridabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

At TAJ you can see the meaning of hospitality. They make you feel you are special or some VIP. You get an experience of lifetime memories at The TAJ. Excellent food quality and various cuisine options. One must stay in TAJ at least once in their lifetime

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms have excellent view. Avoid lower floor rooms with city view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Our room was opposite the Gateway to India. This was lit up at night so was very pretty to watch. The room itself was very nice and comfortable. The staff were very nice and helpful.
The pool restaurant was very good with excellent food. Although you are in a very noisy area the rooms were quiet. Would recommend this hotel for your stay in Mumbai.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends