“A room with a view is a must.”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #3 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
London, United Kingdom
“A room with a view is a must.”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I arrived as one does at 2am and was quickly bundled into a room and slept like a dream. The next morning I woke up to looking at the backside of Mumbai not a pretty site. I went down and chatted to the receptionist and for about an extra USD 25 I moved to room 806 and my world was transformed. It looked straight out onto the gates of India. The downside is if your have the doors open it is a lot more noisy. This did not bother me I liked looking out onto the hustle and bustle. Noise free when one closes the door. The rooms service is nice and efficient. Breakfast outside is a must don't sit inside go sit by the pool. However walking to fetch your food and back is a little walk well worth the effort as that area has oldy worldly charm.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, March 16, 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

Thanks ever so much for sharing your feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,620)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This year I stayed three nights and was welcomed back like an old friend. Apart from the magnificent architecture, superb dining experiences and out of this world spa, the hotel staff make this a very special experience. All of the staff I encountered couldn't have been more helpful, professional and friendly, particularly the Historical Tour guide - nothing was too much trouble for them. They took pride in their hotel, noticed little things and anticipated needs and all went the extra yard for their guests. A particular incident stands out - I lost the lower portion of an earring - not an expensive earring but one of great sentimental value to me. After looking around my room and retracing my steps, I mentioned it to several staff members just in case someone turned it in and then, not expecting to see it again, I went to the pool. A short time later, I was approached by a security guard, Kamini, who took a complete report including photos of the remaining one and left promising to report back to me. I was overjoyed when i went back to my room and found the missing piece on the desk. I called Security and told Kamini - she didn't know but was as pleased as I was that it was found. I still don't know who found it or where it was found but what other hotel would go to so much trouble for a guest? Again, this was not the Hope Diamond! A stay in the Taj Mahal Palace is a must for anyone visiting Mumbai and the Historical Tour of the hotel is an added treat - fascinating history. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, March 6, 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed three nights in the Palace Wing and had an excellent experience. The Taj Palace in Bombay is without a doubt, the grandest, most architecturally impressive and historic hotel I have ever stayed at. The hotel is immaculately maintained, has stunning interiors (in the palace wing) and has beautiful art displayed throughout.

The rooms and bathrooms are large, ultra-luxurious and very well furnished. The beds are extremely comfortable (and enormous). The décor in the rooms is very nice, striking the right balance between old world charm and modern luxury. We had a sea facing room with a view of the Gateway of India which was lovely. A very good (and extensive breakfast) was included.

Every amenity and service you could think of is available (albeit at a price). Service is excellent and the staff are all very friendly and obliging - they all seem to have a real sense of pride in the hotel and its history, which is quite something.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed March 4, 2014

It was the best holiday I had ever enjoyed. Sad to say the travel guides are a rip-off, they are not to be trusted, reason being, when requesting to visit the local peoples shopping centres, they tend to take you to the most expensive shops , so as a tourist you just get ripped-off. That was the sad part of my holiday, otherwise India is amazing the food , people are warm and friendly the staff at the hotel are helpful and inviting, I could go on , My Indian holiday was the best...... I am doing this holiday all over again, in the near future. Thank "GOD" for a country like India... the food, people and scenery.

Room Tip: I styed in the room facing the pool on the 4th floor, I would think the rooms facing the Gateway Mon...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, March 5, 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests have a most enjoyable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful time.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Me and my wife travelled to the Taj Hotel and palace in Mumbai we both agreed it was a an amazing and different experience. We had the honeymoon package. The service was great. The food however was out of this world simply wonderful. We stayed for 2 nights. The view we had was poolside and was great. The big windows made the view even more spectacular. The room we were in had a TV in the bathroom mirror, very nice feature. This is a pricey hotel. Overall I would recommend this hotel to everyone for anyone looking for a totally different experience.The Taj hotel and palace in Mumbai will make sure of that.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Birmingham
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Can't recommend this hotel enough, from the warm personal welcome to the signature cocktail made at our table at the Harbour bar, we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our stay! Room service fantastic, nothing was too much trouble, pool attendant made us feel welcome in a a packed pool area - he managed to find us two beds, put them together, provide clean towels and take our drinks order within 5 minutes! Masala restaurant was also fab, food amazing and the service was great. Just love this hotel, nice vibe in the lobby and the rooms are stunning, they have thought of everything! My husband especially liked the selection of glasses provided in the neat little pull out draws! All they need to change is the charge for WIFI and it would be perfect ;)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, March 3, 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

To address your query, as our internet (WiFi) service is outsourced, we regret our inability to include it in the room rate currently and I thank you for your patience and understanding in this regard.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 3, 2014

over the years the word taj has become a synonym with exquisite. the moment you enter the lobby itself you just cannot stop praising the beauty of the place. just yards away from the iconic gateway of india and located at the south of the most happening city, the hotel has a breathtaking view of the indian ocean. a friendly staff and excellent service definitely makes taj an icon. went there for a fine dining experience and the food was simply amazing. they surely have the best chefs from around the globe

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple