“A unique experience”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #5 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed recently for three nights in an upgraded room in the Palace Wing. Every long art-filled trip from the elevator to my room was a pleasure. Best of all was the service. When I called the butler to ask for help in locating a lost a favorite stole and gave him the cards that aggressive merchants had foisted on me as I wandered the neighborhood, the stole was delivered to my room within 20 minutes. The concierge desk booked a guide at the last minute for a unusual request. I appreciated the various restaurants (Souk, Masala Kraft, the Sea Lounge for breakfast) and the Palace lounge for for complimentary snacks and drinks). The beauty salon had good service and I enjoyed the Yoga instruction, though the space was undergoing construction and I was taught in a regular hotel room space. (Note Bene: the spa at the nearby Wellington Mews is more pristine, bigger, and more pleasant than the Hotel spa and shares the same staff. I had the best yoga instruction there ever from the Shirish Gupta who trains the Taj staff.) As others have noted not having free internet seems unhelpful in this day and age.

I felt cosseted and lucky to have the experience of staying in this world-famous hotel.

There was only one glitch and it was serious: I was told by the Taj to check out at 7:30 pm, even though I was to be picked up for the airport at 8:00 pm and was to wait for driver's call in my room. It turned out that once checked out the front desk showed that I had left the hotel and they did not show any contact info for me and did not try to find me. I was lucky to have a clever travel agent (from Holidays@Leisure) who got the concierge to intervene and override the front desk.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank elizabeth92001
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

I have also noted your feedback on your check out experience and your comment on the space for yoga and appreciate your honest feedback.To address your query, as our internet (WiFi) service is outsourced, we regret our inability to include it in the room rate currently and I thank you for your patience and understanding in this regard.

Thanks ever so much for sharing your feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Despite my monthly travels to Mumbai, I have funnily stayed in the BKC/Lower Pareil area in the last year and a half. Stayed in South Mumbai after ages and at the Taj Mahal after a few years. I was fortunate to be upgraded to the Palace Towers and if you need to stay, that is the wing to try and stay in.
The Palace rooms are large, have an old world charm - what with the old world ceiling fans as well. They however have all the trappings of luxury and charm. Go to the poolside and you will be transported to an era bygone and the tranquility and setting floors you.
I happened to go to the Harbour Bar (an institution) and had a couple of drinks. I happened to order their famous Cocktail and the story behind the cocktail - eloquently told by the Barman (I am missing his name) and the visual delight made it an experience to remember. Ask for it - its called the Harbour something and you will not be disappointed.
The service is as always excellent but I was slightly disappointed by the food. I had some starters at the Harbour Bar as well as called in Room Service but the food left a lot to be desired. Both my main as well as the Dessert were ordinary.
If you happen to stay in South Mumbai, stay here for the experience, the setting and for coming back amazed with the experience. I have stayed at this Hotel at least half a dozen times in the last 10 years but its always good to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a Palace room. They are more expensive but worth it. If you can, get the Sea view ones.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I have also noted your feedback on the quality of food and appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

What a wonderful experience. Fortunate to be Upgraded from tower wing to palace wing and had the ultimate stay. Views over the Arabian Sea, a breakfast one can only imagine and a bed that dreams are made of! Would love to repeat this stay, can't ask for much more.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 5, 2014

This used to be THE place in Bombay ... Not too sure it is anymore !
Stayed in the Old Wing, and our room had a very unpleasant humidity smell and was not very welcoming. There are so many pigeons around that you don't even want to go near the pool.
The breakfast area Is too small and they made us wait too long. On the other hand the staff was very helpful and there are some very nice shops in the Hôtel complex. Very efficient telephone operator. Our Bill was prepaid but they made us pay a 9 Rps extra !!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Courche

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team.

I have also noted your feedback on the smell in the room, pigeons and the breakfast area and appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Taj Palace hotel in Mumbai still boasts excellent service levels in certain parts of the hotel that we enjoyed in 2004. The shuttle service to and from the hotel was efficient, speedy and very friendly. We did not however, feel welcomed to the hotel in the reception area. We were rushed from the security check outside into the lift and into a room allocated to us. No opportunity to request a room on a higher or lower level floor was provided. The welcome drink that is usually offered to guests in the foyer, was sent up to the room as an after thought. Strange!!!

The service and food in the Shamiana restaurant can only be described as amazing. Early morning breakfast before our flight was most appreciated!!

It is surprising to find a hotel of this stature not offering free wifi to the guests in the foyer or in the rooms. Guests are allowed to use hotel computers with an Internet connection in the business centre on the first floor.

The rooms are neat but nothing extraordinary. Beds are very comfortable. The bathroom is small with a shower in the tub in old style decor.

We were locked out of our room on the night before checking out the next morning. And cleaning staff did not come in to tidy up the room that evening.

The hotel staff do not seem to respond to email communication, which is very unprofessional.

• Stayed: January 2014

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

We are grateful to you for letting us have the feedback, as it is indeed the pre-eminent barometer by which we can measure our achievements and shortfalls, in providing the best of services to our valued guests.

While we thank you for highlighting and appreciating our key strengths, we have noted your feedback in areas we need to further improvise. I would like to assure you that every issue mentioned is being looked into for corrective action.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We spent a couple of nights here at the start of our 6 week trip to India. Our room was in the Tower Wing and whilst we didn't have the views the other rooms had it was perfect for our needs as we spent most of our time out of the hotel! The swimming pool area is lovely and we had a meal on the terrace on our first night and sat drinking tea and reading our books after wandering around the city. Being so close to the Gateway to India was fantastic as when we first went it was busy so we got up early and went back the following morning - much better although we didn't have time to do any of the boat trips to Elephant Island. On our last night we ate in the Souk, the roof top restuarant which was excellent. We were at the hotel just before Christmas and during the first Christies Auction in India and although the hotel was busy we were very happy with the quality and level of service we received.

Room Tip: A view of the Gateway to India would be great and if affordable stay in the Palace Wing.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have stayed at this property a few times for short business trips. While the hotel is good and well located, the staff can be a bit more polite.

On the whole, I would still choose to stay there for the location

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
tmhgm, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2015

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at our sister property - Vivanta By Tay President, Mumbai

We are delighted by your kind words and have also seriously taken in to consideration your comments on the safe.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Thanking you,