“Very ok experience!”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #5 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Me and my husband stayed at this hotel in Dec 1st week. The rooms were clean but not luxurious.
The base category room in the palace wing didn't even have a bathtub!!
The welcome was very impressive and we thought it would be a very memorable stay.
But was little disappointed with the services. The staff was not courteous at all. They didn't bother to wish you also if they happen to cross you any time.
The breakfast was also very ok. Grapes were soon out of stock and only 1 live counter for vegetarians.
Overall I would say that they are charging too much for the services they offer.
I would recommend The Oberoi or even Trident for that matter. The staff there is very very courteous and they go out of the way to help you and make your stay comfortable.
Taj Mahal palace hotel is a very over hyped hotel and totally not worth it.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Artika-anu
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

It is our earnest endeavour to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience, however we have also noted your comments on the service, staff members and breakfast and appreciate your honest feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed here at this gorgeous hotel for three nights.
It was the same time Prince Charles was in the hotel as well as the Indian and West Indies cricket teams were in house, so the hotel was a buzz of excitement .
We stayed in the Palace wing of the hotel which was truly amazing and stately, just Devine.
We used the facilities of the hotel and ate in the resturants and everything was first class.
The two bars were a good place to start or finish you evening.
Staff were well trained and attentive in all areas of the hotel from room attendants to resturant staff.
Breakfast downstairs around the pool was very busy so we took to taking breakfast in the upstairs resturant and it was a very enjoyable way to start the day.
Flowers were left I. The room with a small note from the duty manager which is a lovely touch.
It is not everywhere in the work you can stay in a Palace so treat yourselves and stay in this Palace, you will never forget the experience

Room Tip: Parlance wing if possible
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ddh04
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Got a good deal as ordinarily could not afford to stay here. Best hotel ever. The location is perfect, food is amazing and staff are incredibly helpful. Bed is the best I have slept on. Even met Prince Charles!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nick D

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Must say I know nothing about Cricket, but stayed here two doors down from Sachin Tendulkar, one day after his last match - and I have the photo to prove it. The next day I found a note left by somebody not so lucky on a hallway side table "Dear Sachin, please come and bless my children - Room 308"

Hotel was great - really liked the High Tea and the chocolates.

Very entertaining 5pm hotel tour.

Glad I bought "The Siege" at the airport AFTER my stay and not before(!)

Room Tip: Out the front - overlooking The Gateway and the sea.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank whesse2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

Thanks ever so much for sharing your feedback.

Stayed 3 nights in the taj last week,
Amazing historic hotel, wonderful bars , restaurants and the hospitality that taj has become famous for.
The golden dragon restaurant had some of the best dim sum I have ever had, the duck also world class.
Unsure about Mumbai, it's an interesting city for about 3 hours, too polluted and the sheer scale of poverty hits you, I understand that's India, but maybe it's not for me.
The scale of rubbish is .
The taj is worth a visit , but Mumbai, not for me

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jon N

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I'll make this simple. Food? Amazing buffet (the word buffet does this no justice) of Indian street food, plus a number of different foods. Then you get a platter of sweets and some amazing fresh tea. The best thing about this is the ridiculously inviting selection of desserts!!
4 tables stacked with petite, exceptionally tasty desserts. Including a wee chocolate fountain with strawberries to dip.
All this for a very reasonable 1500 rupee?
Just do it. Great service. Live pianist. Beautiful. And a nice surprise for a special someone too!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank georjax

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful time.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Yes indeed, if you get a chance, it's worth every penny. Stayed here for 5 nights and was given a 75m2 corner suite. Unfortunately the view of the suite was nothing to brag about - always try to get a sea-front facing room.

The services standards here are impeccable, although I'll still say the Oberoi's are a notch better, always. Remember - you here for that colonial experience, so enjoy it. The entire Palace (old) wing is a sight to behold and walk about.

The room interiors are full of character and very pleasant that you could spend the whole day without leaving the room or hotel premises. But very pricey....

One thing not to miss is the bookshop in the new wing.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family