I have stayed at both the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai and the Vivanta by Taj- MG Road in Bangalore. I have put these two hotels as joint equal for my favourite ever stay at a hotel, as I stayed at the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai, which was the best experience I had ever had in a hotel, with it's marvellous decor, facilities, charming staff, exquisite level of service, hospitality and attention to detail of the like I had not previously experienced. Having now stayed at Vivanta by Taj, MG Road, Bangalore, I have to rate my experience here equally as highly for the level of care I received and amount of enjoyment I experienced.
I spent several days at the Mumbai Taj Mahal Palace in late October/beginning of November last year, and had never had a stay anywhere like it. I had a room on the 'King's Floor' in the classic part of the hotel, and it was utterly phenomenal. The service and hospitality is outstanding in a level of luxury I'd never previously experienced. I was looked after superbly by Clifford the butler, a charming and highly intelligent man with whom I had some fascinating conversations with, whilst being assisted with anything I needed.
My friends and I dined at the Zodiac Grill and this was a truly phenomenal gastronomic experience, with both the food and level of service the epitome of excellence. We had the signature cheese soufflé to start and the Argentinian chateaubriand for the main, washed down with pinot noir and finishing with Irish coffees. Not exactly the most Indian of cuisines, I hate to admit, though there is plenty of time for magnificent and inexpensive local cuisine in India but food like this is rare to find even back home in London. I sadly forget the name of the Maitre D of the restaurant now, as this was some time ago, but he and his team were utterly charming and the level of care they took with us made this meal one of the most enjoyable of my life.
Admittedly, this was all incredibly expensive, but life is short and every once in a while you have to let yourself go... fortunately for me, my considerably more successful friend was picking up the tab for us all on this occasion which made it all the better!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1903, The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai is India's first luxury hotel. Offering panoramic views of the Arabian Sea and the Gateway of India, the hotel is a city landmark. The hotel offers 543 rooms including 54 suites, each adorned with original paintings and period furniture that exude an aura of old-world charm and elegance. The restaurants at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai offer distinctive dining experiences that cover the finest Indian and international cuisines - from casual, all-day eateries to Oriental, Japanese, Indian and Mediterranean fine dining. The hotel also houses the first licensed bar of Mumbai and also a beautiful sea-front restaurant for hi-tea and live music. Palace Services in the Palace Wing of the hotel add to the experience, where the butler plays the all important role of guide and assistant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Taj Mahal Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Mahal Palace Hotel Mumbai (Bombay)
- Hotel Taj Mahal Palace
- The Taj Hotel
- Taj Hotels
- Taj Palace Hotel
- The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel
- The Taj Mahal Hotel