“You've not lived until you've spent a night at the Taj”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #5 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have stayed at both the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai and the Vivanta by Taj- MG Road in Bangalore. I have put these two hotels as joint equal for my favourite ever stay at a hotel, as I stayed at the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai, which was the best experience I had ever had in a hotel, with it's marvellous decor, facilities, charming staff, exquisite level of service, hospitality and attention to detail of the like I had not previously experienced. Having now stayed at Vivanta by Taj, MG Road, Bangalore, I have to rate my experience here equally as highly for the level of care I received and amount of enjoyment I experienced.

I spent several days at the Mumbai Taj Mahal Palace in late October/beginning of November last year, and had never had a stay anywhere like it. I had a room on the 'King's Floor' in the classic part of the hotel, and it was utterly phenomenal. The service and hospitality is outstanding in a level of luxury I'd never previously experienced. I was looked after superbly by Clifford the butler, a charming and highly intelligent man with whom I had some fascinating conversations with, whilst being assisted with anything I needed.

My friends and I dined at the Zodiac Grill and this was a truly phenomenal gastronomic experience, with both the food and level of service the epitome of excellence. We had the signature cheese soufflé to start and the Argentinian chateaubriand for the main, washed down with pinot noir and finishing with Irish coffees. Not exactly the most Indian of cuisines, I hate to admit, though there is plenty of time for magnificent and inexpensive local cuisine in India but food like this is rare to find even back home in London. I sadly forget the name of the Maitre D of the restaurant now, as this was some time ago, but he and his team were utterly charming and the level of care they took with us made this meal one of the most enjoyable of my life.

Admittedly, this was all incredibly expensive, but life is short and every once in a while you have to let yourself go... fortunately for me, my considerably more successful friend was picking up the tab for us all on this occasion which made it all the better!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Will H
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My family and I visited the Taj Mahal Palace after our trip to Paris. It was recommended by our friends and indeed it is a lovely hotel and a great place to stay. We stayed for five days and the service was great. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. The décor in this establishment was beautiful. Food selection was great ,tasted fresh unlike processed taste you would get out of the frozen meats. The pool was much needed relief from Mumbai humid days that we are not used to. For those staying in this area, I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Try booking room facing the Gateway of India.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Canuck_trader

Reviewed October 9, 2013

No doubt this is an exceptional hotel. The hospitality is unforgettable, the staff extremely friendly and tentative. We were greeted by Ms Priyanka, who epitomised the spirit, culture and hospitality of Taj.

The hotel has all the facilities one would aspire from a five star hotel - gym, swimming pool, bar, restaurants, designer shops etc. The icing on our stay was when they presented our child with a surprise birthday cake.

Everyone here is very attentive, considerate and customer focussed, there was one senior gentlemen though who was supervising the person processing our payment, who seemed a bit grumpy and dismissive of our reservation with Booking.com.

Oberall we would say Taj is more than a hotel, it is a unique experience.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Explorer11111

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. I have also noted your feedback on one of our senior staff at the reception and appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Superb hotel and service -expensive but well worth every penny/rupee. Stayed in the palace wing for five nights last December. Our butler Adrian set the tone with polite, attentive service which was followed throughout the lounge and breakfast room. We will undoubtedly never stay in as good a hotel again-alas ( ( unless, of course we go back)

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of the Gateway to India. Worth the extra to stay in palace wing
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ann249
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Taj is one of the best colonial hotels in Asia. Its old world grandness is well preserved. Service is impeccable. Food is excellent. Rooms were spacious and well appointed. The Library (or cigar room) is an excellent place for business meetings. It is a luxe experience all around.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndrewJM23

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Good place to stay. Old world charm in a modern setting.... The room are nice, cosy and comfortable, with a bright decor and some of the views are fantastic. The wi-fi connection is superior. The rooms are quiet and the service excellent.

Room Tip: Select sea view rooms....
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel is a landmark and has huge emotional memories . For college students , shoppers in that area its a must dropin for a snack or a place to celebrate. The service is excellent and full of old world charm. Just sit back and and let the world go by....Its location right by the sea the food is fantastic.. i can hardly of any drawback except the price which r back breaking for a college student but i would recommend at least a visit ..mandatory

Room Tip: facing the ocean
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends