“Best customer service I've ever experienced”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #4 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed September 21, 2013

First let me say don't let the past sway you from staying in this hotel. Security today is top notch--the most serious yet polite I've seen anywhere.

A beautiful hotel with superb staff; I believe every floor has its own butler to help guests. I was on a business trip and had to work all day; I told a person at the front desk I needed something from the pharmacy and the staff picked it up for me and had it waiting in my room when I returned from work that evening; they only charged me the cost of the medicine. The Indian restaurant is disappointing but the Sea Lounge is very nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. I have also noted your feedback on the Indian restaurant and appreciate your honest feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

There are newer reviews for The Taj Mahal Palace

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Everything about this hotel was perfect. From pickup at the airport, through check in and check out, everything was as I would expect from a top hotel such as this. The room was incredibly comfortable, with a wonderful view of India Gate. The staff was incredibly friendly and extremely helpful. The guy who cleaned our room cleaned it beyond our expectations. It wasn't just clean, it was immaculate. We were here for a couple of nights. I've been to Mumbai a number of times, but typically stayed near the airport. This was the first time I'd stayed further away; the front desk staff was very helpful. There were some particular things that we were looking for, and the staff helped us locate them. All around, this was a perfect stay. I couldn't have asked for better treatment and a better hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve S
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Reviewed September 19, 2013

One of the best hotels we visited. Lots of attending stuff, beatiful design and comfort.
The swimming pool is amazing, breakfast in front of the sea and the India-Gate is worth every rupee. Didn't try the restaurants but there are a few restaurants that look promising. wi Fi is not free but also not too expensive.

Room Tip: Careful with the arrival lounge, It seems complimentary but costs money.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was on a business tour to Mumbai for 3 nights and 4 days. This would have been my 35th or 36th stay with The Taj Mahal Palace including my long stays (3 or 4 weeks) at a stretch. The check-in has always been prompt and same has the check out been. The hotel meets all my comfort and luxury expectations. The food has been awesome. Same is the breakfast spread which is quite wide and a lot to choose from. The staff has always been helpful and courteous. I have never seen a hotel across the globe which has a very low attrition in the staff and every morning the way they greet you makes your day. Here you get the TAJ sleep (The best and the most comfortable sleep). If budget and time permits I would recommend this hotel for everyone to stay at least once and have an experience of true luxury and comfort hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ActiveHotelReviewer

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was a really nice experience. I was there on business so my expectations were more focused around a good breakfast, nice bed and a decent location. I was blown away by the hospitality and helpfulness of the staff. The hotel was the site of the bombings from a few years back, I wouldn't let that detour you. The security detail is very strong. Nothing to worry about!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank zattinho

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I spent three nights in a Deluxe King Room (which is not the cheapest room type). I was really shocked by the poor quality of the hotel in all aspects. Just have a look on the pics I added and you will know why. I really wonder how such a bad hotel can obtain such good reviews as there are much better hotels in Mumbai. People seem to be blinded by the name of the hotel. I don't know about the room in the Palace Wing - but if you stay in the Tower Wing don't expect much more than in a 2 star hotel and be prepared to treated as a backpacker.

THE FEW PROS ARE:
- location
- breakfast is not bad
- older staff at breakfast very friendly (but younger staff not trained and rude)
- swimming pool
- room service was efficient

BUT THERE ARE SO MANY CONS:
- security problem: they scan you at the entrance, but everyone can walk in and even use all lifts. There is no card needed to operate lifts. So people (terrorists?) from outside walk in the floors where the rooms are and may harass you
- check in unfriendly and very cold, lacking charme
- staff is generally very arrogant. They should learn not to judge about people and their social status by their appearance. Really ridiculous how you get treated if you look like a tourist and not like a Bollywood actor.
- airport transfer almost 5.000 Rupees which is a pure rip off (the good taxis with AC at the stand outside the hotel charge you not more than 800 Rupees!)
- Wifi not complimentary even you pay hundred of USD per night

ROOMS ARE SHOCKING:
- even on 17th floor you can't sleep (street noise 24/7) because windows don't close properly and are not sound proofed
- walls between rooms are paper-thin, no problem to follow all conversations in other rooms
- empty toiletries have not been replaced
- towels old and always dirty, full of stains!
- glasses and mugs not clean
- shocking hygienic conditions in bathroom: filth, crime and mould everywhere (see pics, the toilet seat is a disaster)
- bathroom fittings dating from the 70's and never cleaned properly
- disgusting sticky shower curtain
- broken tilings
- stains and dirt everywhere on the carpets
- for all the rest: just see my pics. I am bored of writing much more about this terrible hotdl.

By the way, the best came at check out: Of course they asked us "how was your stay?". I replied "just average if at all". Their reaction was only to say "ok". Unbelievable, how can a hotel that claims to be Leading hotel of the World be so unprofessional????

I would never go there again, it is just a ridiculous bad hotel that takes advantage of guests who want to stay in that once probably glamourous house.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
34  Thank netsrac99
tmhgm_bom, Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

We are grateful to you for letting us have your honest feedback, as it is indeed the pre-eminent barometer by which we can measure our achievements and shortfalls, in providing the best of services to our valued guests.

We greatly value your patronage and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Parveen Chander Kumar
Deputy General Manager
The Taj Mahal Palace

Reviewed September 16, 2013

A short celebration which was taken care off in a way much more than you can expect by one of the best hotel's in India.
The room in the palace/heritage wing was superb with beautiful walls, excellent flooring.
The service was perfect, so were the amenities.
The poolside lobby/sit out has an amazing charm and the evening rain and thunderstorm made it more beautiful
The heritage wing color coordinated passage and old world furniture on all floors along with grand stairs and the gigantic dome in the center are a sight which will take you to an another era
The food at Shamiana and Golden Dragon was delicious as ever.

Room Tip: Any room in the heritage wing
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank manishm357
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013