“A landmark hotel in all senses”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #3 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Cologne, Germany
“A landmark hotel in all senses”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed for just one night,it was a great experience to stay at this hotel.Famous/infamous for its recent terrorist attacks,it is a stunning historical property,which has been lovingly restored back to its glory coupled with excellent service.I opted for the heritage tour which revealed interesting nuances and treasures of the hotel.The staff was attentive and helpful and even though there was some problem with my reservation, it was handled effortlessly with a smile. The Japanese restaurant was great.Loved the informal friendly yet professional service at this restaurant especially interacting with the chefs.The tower was nothing outstanding except to just feel connected with "the" hotel in Mumbai but my room upgrade got me an excellent view Gateway of India.
The extreme left corner rooms in the Tower have phone network problems.I would definitely love to come back. If you are a history or art lover, don't miss the heritage tour of the hotel.

Room Tip: If budget allows opt for the Palace rooms instead of Tower and in Tower, the sea facing ones till...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, September 14, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,620)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here for (hold your breath) 4 months with my wife, when we were in the process of moving to India and looking for a home. Not one day were we made to feel anything less than special! Everyone - right from the doorman, to the housekeeping staff, was absolutely fantastic. I have stayed in great hotels across the world, but noone beats this hotel when it comes to hospitality. A special commendation for Madhuri and her team in the housekeeping dept. She made sure my wife was pampered, our anniversaries/b'days were remembered and rooms decorated accordingly, brought in a dehumidifier into the room to prevent our stuff being ruined by the Mumbai humidity...and I can keep going on. Bottomline, we felt special and at home. The restaurant staff was fantastic too.
My only tiny gripe is with the gym - it was way too cramped/claustrophobic. Maybe its good for a workout or two...but not more than that. The gym at Taj Lands End is fantastic - that should be the model.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are fantastic...especially in the heritage wing
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. I have also noted your feedback on the gym and appreciate your honest feedback.

Shillong, India
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The arrival itself suggested that I was due for an experience much different from any of my previous stays anywhere..

Right from check in, late at night to the check out, I would always cherish the memories of my stay at this magnificent hotel.

Details were impeccable, rooms-comfortable, service-proficient and staff-efficient and personalised.

The long breakfast break along poolside view and relaxing evenings at the bar were great.

Will love to be visiting again.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors on gateway and seaside view. Morning view is not to be missed.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sunnykullar1968

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were very lucky to stumble on this at the last minute. We able to book the room for 3 weeks. March 2012. We were welcomed into the hotel very uniquely. Totally the Great Indian Welcome with the Thali (Plate with the candle and the Garland). Not forgetting the welcome drink. When we reach our room the view of the Arabian Sea and the Gateway of India was something out of my imagination. The Staff was excellent in providing for us, The Wi-Fi for my IPAD and a direct connection for my laptop. The room was well decorated and the toilet was fantastic. The staff would arrange a milk bath with rose petals thrown over the bubble. Truly makes you feel ROYAL. The breakfast had a variety of cuisine. Some of wish are made on the spot.. Totally worth it. Location was great super near to the Colaba Causeway. What makes this hotel a Palace is the service provided from the guards all the way to the General Manager they remember your face and always makes you feel welcome and missed.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room that faces the Arabian Sea and he Gateway of India..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

dehradun
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Hi I visited this heritage property this march as I am a very big fan of taj so were my expectation I had booked a room in the tower wing the room was ok the service was good not comparable to resort properties the only problem I faced was that I could hear the dog barking at late night which was hearable on high floors as well would definatly visit the property again and stay at the heritage wing

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Gunangadsingh

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. I have also noted your feedback on the noise due to the dogs barking outside and appreciate your honest feedback.

kochi
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Everything from the arrival to the checkout has been top notch and is at par with the best in the world. If service and promptness is what you are lookign for it just doesnt get any better than this, globally.

On arrival, you are received by a manager who takes you directly to the room where you have the reception formalities arranged for you. No dealing with the reception desk etc.
The food in room service is excellent. The neighbourhood is also quite nice and is ideal if you want to take a stroll during evening. The famous Cafe Leopold is also quite close.

Room Tip: Pick the sea view rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank avallark
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, September 5, 2013

Pune
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This time I got a very good room opposite the Gate Way of India. The room had been recently redone probably. I got E&Y good service. I had only one problem; though the hotel is in the centre of a major metro, the 3G connectivity of two major telcom service providers was very weak- I have different numbers from two telecoms, one for my iPad and the other for my iPhone. Throughout my stay, the problem remained. I wanted to avoid taking WiFi from the hotel. The rooms are very spacious, extremely clean and well maintained. Had good food for the breakfast and lunch, though the sambar accompanying idlli/ wad, left scope for lot of improvement.

Room Tip: Ask sea side !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, September 19, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. I have also noted your feedback on the quality of sambar and the connectivity and appreciate your honest feedback.