“Simply the best”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #3 of 454 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
London, United Kingdom
“Simply the best”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

After our four month exhausting trip around India this was our last and final stop and what an experience. World class. From when we arrived, the welcome was professional but warm, through to the friendly staff, stunning room overlooking the City. Can't fault it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pauljonnash
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, July 3, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,592)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Trinidad
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Taj is now my favourite hotel. Yes, it was suitably located with very clean rooms (in my case thanks to Anita and Arun), comfortable beds, delicious food, incredibly friendly and helpful staff (like Viren and Priyanka).

What made the experience stand out was the attention paid to the little things specific to me.
I loved using the phone and being addressed by my name, instead of a random "Hello M'am". Gifts on the first night accompanied by an animal-folded towel were much appreciated. But you stole my heart with your Taj bookmark for the book I had left on my bedside table and the gorgeous bouquet of red roses - unforgettable!!!

I hear a bicycle tour is in the makings - something else to look forward to.

Well worth another stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Del_Cuore
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, July 1, 2013

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel was fantastic. We spent 5 nights there for our honeymoon and the staff were highly attentive and approachable. We were even greeted by a gorgeous celebratory cake and balloons in our room on our arrival (at 2am!). Breakfast was superb. The small patisserie on the ground floor was perfect for getting some lunch, and most evenings we ate outside by the pool. This hotel was an oasis of calm within the hustle and bustle of Mumbai, and the well-staffed pool was the perfect place to go after a day of sightseeing. There there was no shortage of complimentary chilled bottled water and towels, and every so often the waiter would bring freshly prepared fruit and cold facecloths. Thank you to all at the Taj for ensuring that our honeymoon was an unforgettable one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth M

Singapore
Reviewed June 29, 2013

If you want to treat yourself or anyone to a nice stay in Mumbai, I recommend this hotel. There are other fancy hotels in Mumbai for sure, but the Taj is in a great location for tourists - walking distance to the famous Leopold cafe, Colaba Causeway, Gateway of India etc. Plus if you miss starbucks, there's one in the hotel too.

All the staff are extremely friendly and kind and go to great lengths to deliver a service beyond your expectations. Stay in the Palace wing if you have the chance because the architecture is grand and very charming. You'll definitely get a heritage feel in the Palace wing compared to the Tower wing. If you're ever in need of any help while staying here, any staff would be more than happy to attend to your needs. If you're sick you can tell them and they can help to pick up some medicine from the pharmacy as well. They had even helped me order and collect my dinner from a nearby cafe at a minimal fee which was very reasonable and saved me the hassle of walking out in the night. Very nice stay at the Taj and it was truly unforgettable.

There was a lot of choice for the buffet breakfast as well as a good range of international newspapers, but the food quality wasn't that amazing in my opinion. Nothing to complain about though, it just wasnt AMAZING. Overall it was still good and I'm very satisfied with my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room whether in tower or palace wing
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future. I have also noted your feedback on the quality of food and appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We went with friends with families took 5 rooms on club floor
it was awesome experience, specially this is the place where you realize the difference between a 5 star and TAJ
I would call it TAJ EXPERIENCE
We keep it as Bench mark, Par Excellence
highly satisfied with Service/Cleanliness/security/quick response
really so nice
regards
Praveen.

Room Tip: any room would be great specially on club floor 6th floor is amazing due to view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jbr002
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, July 6, 2013

Jhansi, India
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This place though may seem grand from the pictures but to my awe, it was not that Grand. I have visited and stayed in Taj Palaces that are grander so this one was not upto my expectations. The lobby was small indeed which disappointedme again. It was not even comparable to Gateway Hotel Agra or Taj Mahal Delhi.

Now the staff was not that polite everywhere. At some places like in the Shamiana, the Gymnasium, Tower Wing Lobby but the staff in Palace wing lobby like the guard, the servers near the pool were rude asking again and again for my room no.

The food was average. I was expecting a great culinary experience at such a grand place. But only the breakfast in the Shamiana appealed my senses very much.

The food at Masala Kraft was poor, not that delicious or tasty.

The only advantage it has that it has retained its old world charm and is opposite to Gateway of India, which seems to be rather just a gate for this hotel.

And the biggest disappointment was that being a guest of the hotel, I was not allowed to explore the hotel. Palace wing was restricted to Palace guests. The hotel should change their policy because there is hardly any difference between the two.

Room Tip: If you wish to explore the Palace wing do book a room in the Palace wing instead of tower wing. Howe...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us.

I have also noted your feedback on the staff, lobby and the quality of food and appreciate your honest feedback.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you want to take a break from your hustly bustly activities and city life, you are at right place which is in city but away from the city nuisance.

The ambience is mystical, cooperative and well mannered staff, awesome food, mindblowing facilities of pool, gym, massage.

Its like the world under one roof.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank RajLahoty
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, June 25, 2013