“The best in South Bombay”

Ranked #5 of 486 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Luxurious yet not too formal, just the way I like it.
From a very friendly and efficient check in [at 11:30 am with no waiting], to the baggage porter who snipped off the airport security fasteners and airline tags to rooms being made up early morning - it was the small things that made the difference. And as chef Marco Pierre White says "Perfection is lots of little things done well.”
What you will not find are smart TVs, Bose audio dock for your iPhone, AirPlay printers and the other tech comforts of home. And I really wish they would make the wifi complimentary.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RocketCaptain
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. I have also noted your feedback on room television and wifi and appreciate your honest feedback.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai

Write a ReviewReviews (7,107)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai is an absolutely magnificent hotel to stay in. The attention to detail of the decor matches the attention given to the guests. The level of customer service is beyond that I have experienced at any other 5 star hotel I have stayed at.

The only minor detail that you should be prepared for is the time taken to travel elsewhere in Mumbai as this Taj is located at the southern most tip of the city. However the drivers provided by the Taj - at an extra cost of course - are experienced drivers and are able to safely transport you along the roads which are changed from 3 to 6 lanes at the will of other drivers.

Overall a fabulous experience.

• Stayed: June 2013
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The title of this review may seem a little odd but it is based on the fact that the Taj is really 2 hotels in one. There is the tower wing (where I have only stayed once) where the rooms are more like a Holiday Inn than a 5 star luxury hotel. Then there is the palace wing (where I have been fortunate enough to stay over 10 times) which is what I am reviewing here.

Regardless of where you stay you will still get the Taj service which is second to none. Having stayed at luxury hotels all over the world, I can say that the service at the Taj is superb and some of the best I have ever experienced. The staff here really go out of their way to help and it's the small touches/gestures that really make a difference.

The rooms in the palace wing are beautifully done following a full restoration after the terrorist attack that severely damaged the Taj and are well worth paying extra for if you can afford it. No 2 rooms are exactly the same and all furnished to a high spec.

The F&B options here are also fantastic and the hotel must have one of the most extensive room service menus that I have ever seen. You can try any of the restaurants and you won't go wrong.

The only bad part about staying at the Taj? Having to leave!

Room Tip: Go for a palace wing room if you can
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. I have also noted your feedback on the quality of rooms in the Tower Wing and appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

By far the best property I have ever stayed. The staff could not have been more accommodating. I stayed in a Tower Room on a Deluxe Floor. The breakfast was superb - the fresh croissants were my favorite. Hotel had plenty of shops/stores on the ground level. Didn't eat in any of the restaurants except the Shamiana or the Patisserie for lunch. I just can't say enough about how wonderful my stay was.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Blair W
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Taj hotel is a beautiful oasis in busy Bombay with a great view of the Gateway to India and the Arabian Sea. We arrived around 1am after 30+ hours of travel. The Taj driver was waiting for us at the airport exit and a Taj rep found us and made sure we were happy. We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by a team as we got out of the car. The customer relations man bypassed registration and led us directly to our room on the Tower side. The bellboy (their term not ours) arrived with our luggage within a few minutes. They ordered us tea and cookies, which came promptly. The room service man remembered what we liked and brought extra cookies each time we ordered tea. The room was nice but not special with a view of the sea.

In the morning we had breakfast in the Shamiana - a great buffet with made to order eggs, dosas, omelettes, waffles and pancakes in addition to a beautiful display of fruit, cheeses, granola and additions, Indian dishes, fruit juice... The host and hostess each came to speak with us treating us like the only guests in the restaurant.

We spoke with the concierge about a tour of the city - he arranged for a car & driver and a guide. Then we discussed what to see and he made some personalized recommendations based on our interests. The driver took us to the Victoria and Albert Museum with dioramas about historical daily life and a history of Bombay plus an interesting special exhibit about the meaning of home.

The guide was a well educated young woman with encyclopedic knowledge of India.

There is a daily afternoon tour of the hotel led by an amusing young man. He guided us through the Palace section of the hotel narrating about the building, historical happenings, and design features. The pool area is lovely. Afterwards I enjoyed the special gin drink in the Harbor Lounge.

While we were there the Premier of China and his entourage stayed at the hotel. Heightened security caused massive police activity (with automatic assault rifles, bomb dogs and attack dogs), extra scrutiny of cars (a friend's driver brought us back after dinner and we had to go through 3 checkpoints where he had to show ID and papers), the closure of the harbor area and, thus, the closure of Elephanta Island.

We had dinner in the Masala Kraft, healthy Indian food in a smart casual setting. It was delicious.

The service is excellent, requests are quickly researched and answered, things happen magically and the staff is very cheerful and helpful. The shopping is terrific - I highly recommend Ravi and the Contintental Jewelers on the Tower side. All in all it was a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Suzannea2010
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Reviewed June 11, 2013

One of my favorite hotels. I rate it as one of the best hotels over all, if not the best !.
It has a different charm and aura around it. the service is top class and the breakfast outstanding. Located opp the India Gate and with in walking distance of good shopping and restaurants. The old block is a palace which has been converted to a very prestigious hotel.

Room Tip: try for a room in the old block, if not take a room on the higher floor facng the sea
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank luckyikon
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Reviewed June 9, 2013

From the moment we arrived we knew we were in for a very special stay. Everything was absolutely perfect, and the service was impeccable. We were lucky enough to be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary, and the staff did everything that they could and more to make the 4 day stay a truly memorable experience.

We stayed in an executive suite on the 3rd floor (376 I think!) which had a balcony looking over the pool area which was accessed from the bathroom. Every detail was thought about in the suite, and then some, and we had access to the Palace Lounge where the staff were extremely helpful and very kind.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of staying there, and we would like to thank the staff for an amazing experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ReenaBeena
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013