“A must”

The Taj Mahal Palace
Ranked #4 of 452 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The only problem with this hotel is that you don't want to leave. We stayed only a night because we were just in transit through Mumbay but loved every minute. We stayed in the palace wing and had a beautiful room with a view on the Gateway of India. This place has a long history and it shows. The architecture and the interiors are amazing and it is run in a consistent manner with a clear concept of what extraordinary service is. Do take the palace tour if you can, it is worth it. Our guide, the charming Mr. Viren, entertained us with all sorts of interesting stories on the Palace, India and its culture and some of the extraordinary people who have come through the Taj. The breakfast buffet is great, fantastic in fact, but what is really extraordinary is the ambience at the sea lounge. The patio by the pool is another magical place, and so is the lounge where the palace wing guests can enjoy a setting that brings one back in time, over a drink and admiring some lovely art works.

Room Tip: I very much enjoyed staying in the palace wing.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mariaalessandra
There are newer reviews for The Taj Mahal Palace

Reviewed March 11, 2013

This a lovely hotel to stay at in Mumbai. The room servers were excellent; they even made towel animals! The lobby was beautiful and the breakfast buffet was excellent offering a great variety. A very good stay overall.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank marne7
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Enjoyed a 2 night stay in the Palace wing. Hotel is magnificent from the moment you pull into the driveway. We booked a club room, including airport pickup, club lounge access, dinner for 2, breakfast etc which is a great way to experience what the Taj has to offer. We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a suite which was a fantastic room and on our next visit we will certainly be booking this type of room.
The service throughout the hotel was faultless, all the staff were friendly and helpful. We ate in Sea Lounge, Shamiana and Golden Dragon where the food and service were impeccable. The breakfast buffet in Shamiana is extensive and the food quality is fantastic. We went to Golden Dragon for our inclusive dinner and were pleased to see you could eat as much and whatever you wanted (no set 3 course menu which is good) and the food was some of the best Chinese we've ever had. The Sea Lounge does a tasty club sandwich which goes down a treat with a bottle of champagne. We utilised the lounge facilities, the cocktails were very food, the food is nice, and loved the cognac and chocolates to finish an evening off.
The pool attendants are super helpful, regularly giving you free water & checking if you need anything. The pool is kept remarkably cool which is a welcome relief in the hot temperatures in Mumbai.
We did eat out a little bit as well, if you want a good tasty meal, you can go to Delhi Dobor (not licensed) across the road or The Woodside Inn, which is a nice little pub doing a good selection of beers and wines, saw a great looking iced coffee and they have free wifi available.
The Taj does have wifi available, but unfortunately charges for this (1,000 rupees for 24hrs) which in this day and age is outdated and unnecessary to be charging for, especially in such a property, I would have expected this to just be freely available.
Return transfer is expensive at 4,000 rupees so we used the Blue Taxi's across the road for 850 rupees.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lucja L
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed few days in the tower hotel. The infrastructure is beautiful and the location is just amazing; right in front of the Gate if India. There is a beautiful open swimming pool in the other wing.
There are many restaurants with different cusines within the hotel. The breakfast is excellent with good variety of food and can be enjoyed just beside the pool. The service is excellent, all staff extremely available. The only disappointing factor were the room. Nothing really wrong with them however once you have seen the lobby and the ground floor you would expect something more from the room. They are a bit old and probably would need some "revamping" in order to be up to the same mark of the rest of the hotel. The gym has all you need to do a good work out session however is not in a very beautiful location, placed in a sort of basement with no windows and no view.
All in all a very good arrangement and good value for money.

Room Tip: Did not see the room, however the Taj Mahal on "Palace" wing seems a better option but it...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dadde74
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed for business but spent the weekend with a mix of sightseeing and business meetings. Although most people want a view of Gateway to India consider a suite in the old part of the hotel at the back if you want a quieter room. I can not speak highly enough of the concierge (Glen?) who organized the most informative and thorough guides who showed me more than the normal Lonely Planet recommendations and made sure my restaurant bookings and meetings were well organized. The complimentary walking tour on Saturday morning of the local area was brilliant. Gym, wireless, breakfast was all good but Starbucks next door to the hotel had better coffee. One improvement - start the lunch service in at least one restaurant at mid-day.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank HaweaBob
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at the Taj Palace Hotel (Palace Wing) for a total of seven days, splitting my time on either side of an inland trip to Aurangabad. Having a bit of an esoteric hobby of staying at historic hotels I was aware of the reputation of the property and anticipating the overall experience.

Check-in: This was impressive. After passing through security (strict since the 26/11 attacks), I was ushered to the floor of the Palace Wing and registered for my stay while sitting on a comfortable couch. All three of my standards for a luxury hotel were met through the process: seamless luggage transfer to my room, a brief tour of the facilities, and unrivaled graciousness. This would have been impressive enough under any circumstances, but especially so given the fact that I showed up after midnight! I’ve had to almost check myself in at some five star properties at that hour.

Room/facilities: I don’t really travel to stay in my room a lot, but they were what you would expect: spacious, clean, immaculate housekeeping, and all of the appropriate trimmings (well stocked mini-bar, luxury bathroom products, cable TV, etc.). Sleep quality was excellent as was temperature control (important in a city like Mumbai). Housekeeping was near perfect: almost invisible with no major mistakes. The facilities of the property were far more remarkable; they truly “don’t build them like this anymore.” The staircase and central dome were worth the walk down to breakfast every morning and the artwork around the floors and entrance notable. The Palace Lounge was a nice escape throughout the day: free internet, tea service, cocktails, and cognac/chocolate at various times throughout the day. There are also historical tours given of hotel on a daily basis which are excellent.

Dining: Numerous options available. I tried in-room dining, the Golden Dragon (Chinese), Masala Kraft (Indian), the Harbor Bar, Zodiac Grill (French), and made numerous trips to the Sea Lounge for breakfast and dinner. The latter was probably my most memorable experience and is a casual affair with great views over the harbor. As expected, the dining at the Taj is a bit on the pricey side when compared to the outside but they aren’t robbing you like some high-end places.

Service: Without question, the best service I have experienced in all my years of travel. There are butlers on each floor that will help you with anything: luggage, unpacking, travel arrangements, dining reservations, etc. Jet lag set in for the first few days of the trip and I was in the Palace Lounge at 4:00AM on the Internet and offered tea; this attention to detail was reflected on an (almost) perfect basis throughout my stay. Doors were opened, elevators held, and greetings given consistently. When I checked out, the butler met me in my room, completed all the necessary transactions, and walked me straight to the airport car: no stop at reception necessary. What’s even more amazing is the service continued even on my arrival back in the US. I left a pair of old running shoes and some extra postcards in my room and was sent an e-mail from housekeeping asking if I wanted them mailed to me at my home address!

Summary: Seven days and nights and I had an almost faultless stay. I understand that some of these reviews for luxury hotels are sometimes bent towards hyperbole (good or bad), but the Taj Palace has made me rethink previous ratings for other five-star properties. This place has everything: an historic property, superb service, iconic location, etc. and even if I tried to cobble together the best of my previous hotel experiences (atmosphere of Raffles in Singapore, history of the Savoy in London, service of the Adlon in Berlin, location of the Park Hyatt in Sydney) the parts wouldn’t equal the sum of the Taj Palace. Try to get a room in the Palace Wing and enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank midway42
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The hotel itself is gorgeous, it almost doesnt make you want to go anywhere since eating around the pool is so beautiful. The service is outstanding. Everyone was knowledgeable and helpful. The rooms though, are small. When i saw my deluxe suite, i thought it was a mistake (i still wonder if it was, but they assured me, no, it is deluxe). We arrived late at night and the room was a little underwhelming, but the gorgeous view to the gate of india in the morning totally made up for it!! so i would definitely stay there again.

For comparison, i spent one more night at the Taj land's end and while rooms were far superior and modern (and the indian seafood restaurant was absolutely out of this world) it doesn't have half the personality. So obviously for tourism, stay at Palace, and at Lands end for biz.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple