“Impressive service”

The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai
Ranked #5 of 484 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Needless to say much about the luxury lounges and comfortable rooms. What really impressed me was the excellent service. The check-in service was flawless. The bar waiters were cheerful and professional. Also, as I had to take a flight at 6:30am, I had to do the check-out formalities early at 4:30am. The concierge was really helpful in calling me a taxi to the airport and arranged my breakfast box. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank leeyikki
Write a ReviewReviews (7,095)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

As one of the worlds heritages and India's No. 1 tourist attraction it is a MUST that you go there one day. It is really amazing.
Annoying is that ALL native Indians try to squeeze the foreigner's wallets. I don't think about that foreigners have to pay 20x more than Indians. That's fair. But the Tukk Tukk's, rickshaw's, fake tour guides, street dealers try to get their profit out of the situation. They are a bit sticky in from of the castle.
If you are in then iit is a wonderful climate and atmosphere even crowded on the weekends. The white marmoreal mausoleum is incredible from outside and from inside. A very good place to make a lot of memorable pictures.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Best hotel I've ever stayed in. Absolutely everything is perfect. Nothing is left undone from the moment you step out of your car. You are greeted by a Concierge who basically whisks you to your room and checks you in. I had none of that Front Desk stuff... Glen (Concierge) was absolutely spot-on. He remembered my name during the four day stay and was absolutely perfect to deal with. Glen knows what he is doing, and he is the best at what he does.

The upper floor hotel room was beyond perfect with a spectacular view overlooking the water and India Gate. Absolutely breathtaking. Perfect bed with a variety of pillows to suit your choice.

Room service was impeccable. Morning newspapers, including a photocopy of the 1st page of the major newspaper for your country. Nice.

Breakfast was absolutely wonderful in choice and service. Anything you want.

This is a tremendously well located hotel and of course its reputation speaks for itself.

The ultimate in luxury hotels.

Room Tip: If possible, stay in the sea facing room. Absolutely stunning. You won't want to leave your ro...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank gwpyvr1
Reviewed October 26, 2012

There are no words to describe this hotel, firstly let me start with the check in process. It was smooth, upon arrival we were whisked away to the Palace Lounge where all the check-in formalities were taken care off, whilst this was happening we were offered the choice of either Hot Beverage, Soft Drinks or Juice as part of the welcome drink. Once the check-in procedures were completed, we were ever so kindly shown to our room. Before entering the room, the staff was courteous and asked us if they could click a photograph as a memento for us and for them.

The room, was unbelievable, beautiful high white wooden ceilings, nice colour contrasts and the view was to die for. The room was a corner room, so you had the view of the beautiful Arabian Sea as well as the city view of the Mumbai.

Since we had booked the club room, we had couple of nice perks included, such as tea and coffee, along with juices and soft drinks compliments of the hotel through out the day, cocktails in the evening and to top it off, cognac and chocolate session in the night, after dinner. The cognac session in the night was not just limited to cognacs itself but it also included various cognac cocktails too. I would recommend, try the Shambooka, which is a cocktail, i.e. cognac, with an espresso shot and the coffee bean, speciality of the palace lounge.

The restaurants too are nice, we had dinner at the Masala Kraft, the dinner here is really nice and the the dinners pallet of taste is taken care of to the utmost perfection.

Finally three things to mention which really made the whole stay here memorable:

1. The staff: the staff here is very helpful and courteous, this ranges from the top brass of the hotel, waiters to the security. Special shoutout to Ms. R, Ms. A, Mr. M.F and last but not the least Mr. A.I.

2. Meeting Mr. Ratan Tata, thats right, meeting Mr. Ratan Tata himself in the lobby and having an opportunity to converse with him was just an unforgettable experience. He is very much down to earth, no security round him and at first I had not even recognised him.

3. The cherry on the cake, we had a flight to catch on the first and we had already checked out on the 30th, so the staff was kind enough to allow us to leave our luggage with the concierge whilst we went out to meet our friends in the city for dinner. We arrived back at the hotel at approximately one in the morning and were told to make our way to the Palace Lounge, which was a really nice gesture as the lounge is only meant for resident guests. At about three our cars arrived which were scheduled to drop us off to the airport, compliments of the hotel, since we had booked the Club Room. To my surprise there were two JAGUAR XJL parked, one for me a solo and one for my friends. The car is an ultimate luxury and felt really privileged to be chauffeured in it to the airport.

At this hotel all your wishes come true and all your requests are fulfilled.

Just can't wait for next year, 354 days to go before I had back down to the iconic The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai hotel.

Room Tip: Try and book the Club Room, regardless of whether it is sea facing or city facing. If you are a smok...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mihir2003
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Rooms are ok but they are not anything like the four seasons or other 5star hotels. The big problem this hotel has is the quality and BO (body odor) of waiters in restaurants - they really have to fix this. I had a waiter serve me salad and I literally had to request distance - that's how bad the BO was.....other staff was very apologetic but honestly this is not something you expect in a 5s property.
The hotel has a good location if you want to be close to the gateway of India but other than that I would not recommend it....

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank DVSglobal
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Note: This review pertains to the Palace Wing rooms and public areas (not the Tower). This hotel is absolutely perfect and could teach just about every other hotel I've ever stayed in how to do things right. The public areas are impressive, beautiful and all of the restaurants I tried were very, very good.

The service at the Taj is absolutely top rate. They think of every little thing even before you do. If anything, it is occasionally over the top but not in an overbearing way (e.g. it's ok, I can carry my own tiny lassi from the breakfast buffet to the table).

The remodeled/restored facility and rooms are exquisite, with every detail thought through. My room was beautifully decorated, the white marble bathroom like a spa. Every light switch, furniture placement, etc. has been thought through (I noticed this even more when I moved to another city and stayed in another luxury hotel that was pretty but not as functional).

The grounds are a pleasure and the large swimming pool the perfect place to relax (plenty of room for the lappers and the more idle). I also highly recommend Jiva Spa where I had both a massage and facial. The only tiny nuisance there is that when they are very busy, on weekends, some of the massages take place upstairs in converted hotel rooms and it's a little weird to make the trip there in a spa robe.

When you're at the Taj, it's as if nothing can be wrong with the world! It is absolutely pure pleasure and a welcome respite from what can be a rather frenetic city.

Room Tip: Any room in the Palace wing is bound to be fantastic. If you like a view, ask for a seaside room (t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NYC304
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were looking forward to our stay here more than anywhere else in india as it has such a good reputation.. i have to say we were a little disapointed.. its nice dont get me wrong but for the price they charge compared to other hotels we had just come from we found it to be a bit dated... We had just come from the the park,new delhi and the marriot in jaipur both which were absolutely incredible... its in a good spot but wished we had booked the marriot after our experience with them in jaipur. The pool was nice, but not really blow away beautiful like the others..
The lobby level has real wow factor, you do feel a million dollars walking through it as its so luxuriously decked out. Which we had in most hotels in india.
I have to say the food was absolutely INCREDIBLE in the chinese restaurant there.... highly recommend it.
Breakfast was nice.. they kept running out of criossants but then they would wal around with them freshly baked and give you them still hot straight out of the oven, that was yum.

Over all, it was nice but wouldnt stay again as we fell in love with the marriot.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a double bed when booking, otherwise you will get 2 single beds pushed togethe...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple