“Very amazing hotel but the food is average and very expensive”

ITC Maratha, Mumbai
Ranked #8 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Montréal
“Very amazing hotel but the food is average and very expensive”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We are staying currently Martaha and we leave tomorrow night. We are thrilled about the look of the hotel and service. They even upgraded to a deluxe suite, which we appreciated.

But the food is very average. In my country, I am a culinary and cultural journalist and I am currently doing a report on my trip to India and my stay in Maratha. And I must admit that I am very disappointed about the taste of dishes here. We ate at the Pan Ansian and Peshawri. The Pan Asian cuisine is untasty and it's terribly expensive for what it is. We can eat the same thing in Montreal for $ 50 and it cost $ 120 here. This is really unacceptable level in my opinion. The kitchen Peshari is good and authentic but less than what I tasted in small restaurants in Mumbai, Vadodara and Goa.Finally, we went to the hotel bar: $ 100 for two martinis and a bowl of nachos! Is this a joke or what!? I felt cheated. Anyway, the hotel is beautiful and I would go back if it was the restaurants and their exorbitant prices (the rustic kitchen at prices higher than Paris, London or Tokyo)

I also went to the spa. I had a wonderful experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ITC_MarathaMumbai, General Manager at ITC Maratha, Mumbai, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

While we are happy to note that you found the hotel spacious & beautiful it is distressing to read your comment on food quality.

At ITC Maratha, one can enjoy the subtle flavours of different cuisines, authentic to a particular culture and culinary style. For example, the cuisine at Peshwari has been inspired by the essence of North West frontier tradition, of camaraderie around the warm glow of a campfire –succulent tandoori fare, low on oil and high on authenticity.

We would like to have some more information on your experience at the restaurants and if I may request you to mail us the exact nature of problem. Would also like to assure you that any inconvenience was caused unwittingly.

We look forward to welcoming you back at ITC Maratha again where we will leave no stone unturned to re-establish our credibility with you.

Warmest regards,
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is one of the best hotel in Mumbai in terms of services, warmth and friendliness of the staff.
This is one of the rare hotels where most of the staff makes you feel at home and comfortable. The services is exemplary. I have stayed more than 60 nights so far though I have many choices across Taj, Hyatt and other SPG hotels. For frrequent business travellers, this is one of the best. Close your eyes and walk in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to post a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am happy to know that you had an outstanding experience at the hotel. It was our pleasure to have been of service to you.

We are grateful for your appreciation of the services provided by the team. It is truly heartening to have our efforts recognized by you in such a manner.

We thank you for your recommendation and hope that ITC Maratha, remains your preferred hotel on all your future visits to Mumbai.

Yours sincerely,
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Am here on business, the hotel is minutes from the international airport and very convenient for a short stop over. As like most Indian 4 star hotel the service and staff is excellent but I'd like to recommend the dinner buffet which has a wide range of beautifully presented salads, lots of different tasty Indian main meal options and a vast array of Indian and western desserts. The restaurant staff were on hand to explain all the dishes and ingredients. Today is international women's day and I was offered a complementary glass of Indian produced Chardonnay which was surprisingly pleasant! A special mention must be made of Harshal the young talented chef who took the time to discuss the various dishes displayed before me, although i love indian food i always avoid indian desserts, he encouraged me to try some Phirnee which was delicious!! I really felt the staff here were interested in my opinions and were very happy to impart their local knowledge. Well done

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

It is heartening to note that services provided by the team were appreciated by you. We thank you for your recommendation; it was our pleasure to have been of service to you.

The team joins me in thanking you for your gracious comments and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to ITC Maratha, Mumbai soon.

Best regards,
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I and my family went to have dinner at the restaurant named Dakshin Coastal which is in ITC Grand Maratha on 4th of March 2013. Along with the food being extremely delicious the service was excellent. Mr. Suresh Kharat took very good care of me and my family. The whole experience was very overwhelming.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Your feedback is most gratifying and we take pride in offering our guests best culinary traditions. Here one can enjoy the subtle flavours of different cuisines, authentic to a particular culture and culinary style.
Indeed, in our specialty restaurants cuisines have been researched and refined to be a gourmet’s delight.

Warm regards,
London
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Hi I was here only for one night.
I arrived at the hotel at around 2am, and had a 10am flight to catch, when i got to the hotel, the staff were very friendly, and courteous, everything was going great till I got to my room,
My Air Conditioning wasn't cooling well, since Mumbai is such a hot place, and coming in from a 10hr flight, I would expect things in such a hotel to be running perfectly, I did complain to the reception as they did send something to get an excuse that the A/c Just started and it would take a bit of time to cool the room, which i was so tired i just said no problem. I took a shower and order room service as I was starving... The food was amazing and the coke was chilled as requested and passed out. In the morning, the hotel lobby was filled with so many people, there might have been a wedding... While I was checking out I did tell the person that the Room A/C wasn't cooling, and it seemed that the guy was in a hurry to check me out, which I didn't get a response to my comment.... maybe he was too busy checking out the wedding guest... Oh yes I forgot to add, I did have breakfast before i checked out, and everything and everyone was just perfect.
I don't mean any of this in any negative or bad way, this is supposed to be a 5 star hotel, I expect better.
Good Luck

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
ITC_MarathaMumbai, General Manager at ITC Maratha, Mumbai, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay. It is most unfortunate that you have reported such experiences, especially, as we take pride in the excellence and consistency of service and product that we offer to our guests.

While we are unable to check the cooling, in the absence of room no. it is needless to say that comfort parameter of our guests is of paramount importance to us. We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We urge you to treat this episode as an aberration as we have a stringent room checking process in place. With regard to the Front Office experience, I have taken the matter personally with the department head.

The team learns from your feedback and ensures improvement in the areas you have indicated. We truly hope you will visit us again and provide us with the opportunity to impress you with our offerings.

Warm regards,
Singapore
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Introduction
Located just 5 minutes drive from Mumbai airport, ITC Maratha Hotel exudes a high level of class and sophistication. Styled after the Maratha dynasty, an Indian warrior caste from Maharashtra, India, the ITC Maratha Hotel feels luxurious and extravagant, but somehow missing an element of personal human touch. Prices are also rather high, and a stay here is quite expensive.

Ambience
Ambience at ITC Maratha Hotel is best described as Indian sensibilities and culture meeting European class and architecture. The hotel lobby and reception is grand and spacious, with intricate carvings and sculptures, and hand woven tapestry adorn the walls. Chandeliers hang from the ceilings, and even the public bathrooms are luxurious, with shoe buffing machines, and baskets for used towels!

Room
We were in the ITC Maratha Hotel room known as Executive Club. The room was well decorated, and has a work desk with a paid internet connection / paid wi-fi. While the TV screen was quite large, viewing options were somewhat limited. The bathroom was very elegant and luxurious, decked in marble and with a choice of bath tub or shower. However, I noted there wasn't a bidet, which is commonly found in other 5 star hotels. I also like the reclining chair in the room, and the bed was large and comfortable. I initially had trouble finding the controls for the air conditioning, and most of the light switches are manual, and not centrally controlled.

Food at ITC Maratha Hotel is decent, with a choice of buffet style or ala-carte. Complimentary breakfast was included in the package at The Peshwa Pavilion. Generally, the Indian food is much better compared to the Chinese or Western food. There were several other restaurants, however, I didn't have any opportunity to dine at them. However, prices at all the restaurants here are quite high, as befitting a 5 star hotel, although the service provided is also efficient.

Service at ITC Maratha Hotel is excellent and efficient, but sadly lacking in friendliness or the personal human touch. I found little other fault with the service, as staff are well trained and knowledgeable, but I couldn't shake that 'robotic' feeling I get from them. Tipping is practiced here, so do prepare some loose change for staff that assist you.

Facilities & Activities
ITC Maratha Hotel is actually only 7 levels high, but they have a quirky level labelling, where level 1 is labelled as level 11, level 2 is labelled as level 12, level 3 is labelled as level 13, etc. This gives a false impression of height to ITC Maratha Hotel. Facilities are rather extensive, especially with 5 restaurants, and the Kaya Kelp Spa, which provides a full suite of spa, massage and beauty services.

Room Tip: ITC Maratha Hotel is only about 15 minutes drive away from several local eateries that practice good...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ITC_MarathaMumbai, General Manager at ITC Maratha, Mumbai, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to convey your feedback.

We wish to acknowledge and have internally reviewed your feedback with our associates specifically relating to :

A. Television Channels selection and non availability of a bidet in the bath room.
B. The stewards in the restaurants came across as robotic & that they could be more friendly
C. The floor numbering system starts with double digits.

We will work also on your feedback on the human touch requiring to be more pronounced.

We are also happy to have noticed your feedback on the luxurious architecture, the grand hotel lobby, chandeliers ,cloak room amenities , well appointed rooms and choice of food & beverage options.

We will most certainly improve upon the issues you have conveyed.

long island, ny
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I wish I could give this place a rating somewhere between average and very good -- like "good".

I stayed here on two separate occasions this month. I chose this hotel because I was in transit and I wanted to be close to the airport. The hotel is about an hour away from south Mumbai where most of the shopping and attractions are. I am Starwood Gold and at check-in he said I was "upgraded" to the "Tower" "16th floor" (which is really the 6th floor -- I don't understand the strange numbering system and the "Tower" is a type of room, not a separate tall building). However, the room was the exact room that I had booked, not really an "upgrade". Their definition of "upgrade" includes being put on a higher floor, not necessarily a higher class of room. I found this to be a half truth (kind of like the "16th floor" being really the 6th floor). Also at check-in the guy told me that wi-fi was included -- specifically that I should choose the second option when logging on. He failed to tell me that I could either choose to get the free wi-fi or extra Starwood points (I would've chosen the latter). I ended up using the wi-fi for about a minute and only in my room b/c it didn't work in the lobby. However, at check-out, they charged me for wi-fi because only the most basic, level one option for wi-fi was free, not the level two wi-fi which he had specifically told me to select. The rate for the wi-fi was exorbitant but they were nice enough to get rid of the charge. I also told him I was never given the option of either getting free wi-fi or extra Starwood points because I would've chosen to get the points. He basically said, I'll get rid of the charge but you're not getting the points, even though they had mis-informed me in the beginning.

On my first stay, I was in the "Tower" room. The room was moderately spacious and clean with a large dressing area and a large bathroom. The buffet breakfast was included in my rate and it was excellent.

On my second stay, I booked the ITC One room and that's what I got -- no upgrade. This room was huge -- very spacious, large sitting area, massage chair, dressing room, and gigantic bathroom. I had dinner at the Peshawri restaurant which was very expensive for Indian standards -- ~Rs 2000 (~$40) for one order of shish kebabs? Are you kidding me? The bill for two people was ~Rs 6600 (~$120) for two entrees, one coke and one beer. The food was delicious but very overpriced. It's fine if you're a business traveler and have an expense account. I was traveling for leisure with family.

The hotel probably has 6 different restaurants (good variety) but they all seemed pretty expensive. If you're booked in the ITC One room then you can go to the "happy hour" on the "15th floor" from 6pm-8pm which has open bar and pretty good appetizers. It's also in a nice space.

I think the hallways on the lower floors have been renovated -- Floors 11-14; floors 15 & 16 have not. You really wouldn't notice it too much because they're still pretty nice. I think the rooms will need updating in a few of years. The decor and architecture throughout the hotel is spectacular. Also ask for a room either facing the front of the hotel or the pool, not facing the slums. Although the rooms are pretty sound proof from outside noise, you can hear the morning Muslim prayers which are broadcast over loud speaker every morning in the bordering slums and that woke me up at around 6am every morning. That was bothersome. Some of my family who had rooms facing the front and pool did not hear anything.

I went to the spa for a facial which was good. The spa itself was under renovation and appeared to be very, very small or maybe parts of it were just blocked off. The sauna was also closed for renovation.

The staff at the front desk seemed friendly but a little clueless at times and they don't always communicate things clearly.

All in all, would I stay here again? Maybe -- but I'd go without any expectations. This place is probably better for business travelers with expense accounts. The room rate isn't so expensive but all the extras are. The service leaves a little to be desired. I might try the Hyatt across the street next time -- it looked very sleek and modern. I've stayed at the Leela near the airport which is pretty good. But if I wanted to be closer to downtown -- I'd stay at the Four Seasons. That place is amazing.

Room Tip: ITC One room, pool or front facing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to convey your feedback.

We wish to acknowledge and have internally reviewed your feedback specifically relating to :

A. Communication of Internet Options at check in.
B. Associates at the front desk were friendly, but should communicate more clearly.
C. Prices at our restaurants.

We will have your SPG Bonus points credited to your account. May we request for your contact details.

We are also happy to have noticed your feedback on the Towers rooms, Buffet breakfast being nice and the food being very nice as well.

We will most certainly improve upon the issues you have conveyed.