“Good Business Hotel”

ITC Maratha, Mumbai
Ranked #7 of 486 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had visited the Maratha as a part of a business trip to Mumbai. This is a good place to stay at, sufficiently close to the airport (about 20 minutes in non peak traffic), The ambience and interiors are excellent and pretty much catch your eye first up. The details in the room service, starting from the check in process, room design, hospitality are excellent. The breakfast spread was a good mix of continental, english and Indian. Loved the french toast, absolutely one of the best ones I have had in all my travels across the globe! Wish I had enough time to visit the spa which I have heard a lot about...but then guess I need to have something for the next time around :)

Must visit - Pan Asia restuarant. Even for a vegetarian like me, this place has some excellent choices and out of the world thai green curry.

Room Tip: if you are a lone woman traveller, there are floors which are exclusively allocated.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
ITC_MarathaMumbai, General Manager at ITC Maratha, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are absolutely delighted to know that you had a great time at ITC Maratha. The ambience and interiors of ITC Maratha has been inspired by the Maratha dynasty and we are happy to know that you liked it. The staff of ITC Maratha would be glad to know that you liked the service and stay at the hotel. This will only encourage them to perform better.

We are happy that you enjoyed the breakfast spread at The Peshwa Pavilion and the cuisine at Pan Asian. We would really want you to visit the spa on your next trip.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon at ITC Maratha.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (2,981)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel close to the airport. Staff is friendly; except at breakfast. Hotel is ideal for people with expense acct as the restaurants and alcohol in this hotel are ridiculously priced! $50 for 2 drinks from the minibar!!! If you are flying in from abroad swing by duty free at airport prior to your arrival.
We ate at Peshawari--- 2 Kebabs -- Rs 4000. --- ate at the same restaurant at the ITC Baroda--- it was 1/3 the price and the Kebabs were better.
If you need to rent a car just walk in front of the hotel there are 20-30 private cars with drivers parked on the street. Negotiate with them-- their prices are 50% cheaper than hotel prices.
Front desk isnt super helpful--- they don't care about making guests happy-- they just want to nickel and dime you... Even if you are Starwood Gold or Platinum. If there is a problem... People at the front desk have no authority.... They always call someone else.... Whisper some stuff on the phone... Then say it can't be done.
On my multiple stays here... Some guest is always upset at the front desk with the staff looking bewildered.

Hotel has done a great job depicting Maratha history and culture. It's like a museum.

I would still recommend this hotel if you want to be close to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013
ITC_MarathaMumbai, General Manager at ITC Maratha, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay. It is most unfortunate that we did not live up to your expectation. It is our earnest endeavour that we offer you better services by trained personnel and upgraded product to ensure that you have a wonderful experience on your return in the future.
Request you to please treat your last stay as an aberration & provide us with the opportunity to have you back on your future visits to Mumbai.

With sincere regards,

Reviewed February 8, 2013

it was a lovely visit to mumbai city, was accompanied by friends for a wedding function. The restaurants are worth visiting and their delecacies wants keeping you coming back for more. my personal favourite was the coffee shop with a beautiful atrium and un matched service, the buffet spread was ok, could be better as compared to the other hotels of same category. since it was my birthday the service team went out of the way to make my evening memorable, i coundn't forget to mention some names here............pradeep, rahul, amit and the manager rocky on floor was always their to check on our satisfaction, you must be proud of having such a team.........excellent guys will luv to be back soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank amritk_13

Dear Guest,

We are happy to know that you had a great time on your birthday at The Peshwa Pavilion, our 24-hr coffee shop. At ITC Maratha, we always strive to provide the best in-class services and experience to our guests. We are happy to know that you liked the service and we will ensure we do not disappoint you.

We look forward to your next visit to ITC Maratha

Reviewed February 7, 2013

From meeting the driver at the airport to being dropped off again, everything at the ITC Maratha was perfect - this has to be the best hotel in terms of service, quality and staff. I will for sure be back. From the beginning:

I arranged pickup from the airport through the hotel and despite me being delayed, they checked on my arrival times and the driver was right outside the baggage area. The car was swiftly available and I was off to the hotel.
At the hotel was a wedding and it was quite busy, so a lady from reception picked me up at the car and we bypassed the crowded reception and she checked me in right at my beautiful suite.
The hotel is very impressive from the outside, it almost looks like a palace, and I loved the traditionally dressed doormen - wonderful!

Check in was fast and easy, the lady who showed me my room was super friendly, my luggage was up right away and there was a fresh fruit platter, chocolates and tea and coffee makers. The room itself was gorgeous and everything of top quality (I am not sure about the massage chair and am not sure whether I would put it in a room like this, but ok...).
The living/dining room was spacious with a good size TV, work desk and lots of local art. The bedroom was equally beautiful with a very nice bed, The mattress and duvet were very comfortable. The bathroom was on the small side and single-vanity, but very nicely done with shower and tub, grey marble and great amenities.

As I got in quite late, I only had a drink at the bar, very classy and classic. Large leather armchairs, a band (maybe a bit loud to have a conversation) and good service and cocktails. The staff was very attentive and one of them even offered me newspapers and magazines when realizing that I was on my own. Top service!

One night I got back around 10PM and I was hungry. The same lady who checked me in was around and I asked her where to grab a bite to eat? She suggested the Peshwa Pavilion. First, I was surprised to see loads of people there at this late hour. I joined, and I was in for a treat. It does not come cheap for India, but it is worth every cent. The food was AMAZING...every dish was better than the previous one, the atmosphere was casual and fun with a lot of activity around, the service was impeccable and friendly. I can absolutely recommend this - and I am sure the other restaurants are of similar quality.

Breakfast was served in the lounge and a very classy affair. There was a small buffet with a selection of cold items and a a la carte menu of Western and local dishes. The service was again impeccable, the food delicious and the setting beautiful.

Pool and gym were great, too. Service again perfect, the staff at the pool showed me a nice sunlounger, brought towels and water and I was off to relax.
Ok, there is a highway being built, and Indians love to honk, which can be heard at the pool, but it is a common thing in India and one can´t blame the hotel for that. They are doing everything to make guests feel special and welcome.

This has been the best hotel I have experienced in a long time and even beats my favorite of five years, the St. Regis Singapore. Perfect, in every aspect and at a reasonable price!!! Thank you.

Room Tip: Go for a ITC One room with club lounge benefits, it is a grand and special affair.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SFLeonce
ITC_MarathaMumbai, General Manager at ITC Maratha, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at ITC Maratha. At ITC Maratha, it is a regular practice to provide our guests world class service and facilities.

We are glad you liked the architecture of the hotel. It is also a pleasure to know that you liked our room and services. In keeping with ITC Hotels’tradition of building hotels whose architecture is inspired by local history and culture, the architecture of this hotel is inspired by the Maratha Dynasty.

At ITC Maratha, we take our F&B very seriously and constantly strive to provide our guest the best in-class cuisine and experience. Your kind words only encourages us to service our guests better.

Looking forward to serving you for years to come.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

The ITC Maratha jumped directly into the 10 best hotels I have stayed in my life list. It is an oasis of calmness, service and attention to small details. From a complete hassle free check in process, amazing installations, rooms, restaurants and specially service.
A quick tale: me and my wife went to Mumbai to attend a traditional wedding from dear friends of ours. As such we decided that the occasion required us to wear traditional Indian clothing. My wife bought a beautiful Saree, which she had no idea whatsoever how to wear and of course, we just figured this out when it was ridiculously late at night (the wedding started next day at 6AM ;-). I called the reception and asked if they could find someone in the hotel that could assist my wife. Since it was late, most staff had already gone so they really had to call all different departments in the hotel until they found someone who was then ushered to our room so she could help my wife. This is what I call amazing customer service!! They definitely made us fell like we were part of the ITC Maratha family. I could keep talking about other great experiences we encountered during our whole stay but I know that this situation is what we will remember for years to come when thinking about the ITC Maratha and out great stay in Mumbai

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for those kind words. It gives us immense happiness to know that you enjoyed your stay at ITC Maratha. It is our constant endeavor to provide our guest with warmth & hospitality which they truly deserve. We hope you had a great trip and we look forward to seeing you soon at ITC Maratha.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed at the Maratha during m recent visit to Mumbai. It is at a very convenient location to the airports. The rooms very well appointed and the restaurants were excellent!

However, there were a kinks that if addressed would make the Maratha the ideal place to stay in Mumbai. First and foremost, it took the front desk staff almost 25 minutes to check me in, that really needs to be reduced. Second, the bags reached my room after almost 1.5 hours and after repetitive calls and I eventually had to come downstairs to look for them. I did not quite expect to do this at a place like the Maratha. Finally, the staff need to be taught a lesson or two on being courteous (especially the ones waiting during breakfast). They were borderline cold and indifferent. Also, I did notice that the treatment of foreign guests was way better. This is unacceptable by any means!

Room Tip: The Peshawri is a must visit! Great food...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
ITC_MarathaMumbai, General Manager at ITC Maratha, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for thoughtfully sharing your feedback. We have noted your observations on your experience with great concern. May I proffer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Your review has been taken up with the concerned head of the departments to ensure corrective steps are implemented at the earliest. We are also addressing the issues highlighted with the Head of Training.

Request you to treat this incident in isolation and give us another opportunity to serve you at the ITC Maratha. You can also reach me directly, for your next reservation and it will be our pleasure to be at your service.

With sincere regards,

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Im sitting here now in the hotel, it has all the facilities you would expect from a 5 star business hotel, the rooms are very well appointed, all the modern facilities todays business traveller requires, good gym, nice swimming pool area, there is some renovation work going on with the spa at the moment which makes access to the pool a bit tricky but otherwise ok.

My big issue is with the prices charged in this hotel, the room (haggled through business connections) has cost me £130 per night, the food and drink in all areas of the hotel is extortion for India, absolute blind rip off, i understand that usually prices are slightly inflated in hotels, this is expected but let me detail what im talking about and you can make your mind up for yourself.

Price of a single bottle of Heineken in the hotel bar £9.00 - Price of the same thing in a supermarket in the UK (£0.90) Price of the same bottle of beer in one of the really good hotels in Chennai i usually stay in £4.00 - Price of the same bottle of Beer in Claridges London £7.00 - someone needs to have a word, how can this be justified!!!!!! I employ 25 people in India and run a business out here and have never in the 7 years of coming here seen such contempt for customers through pricing.

Another example - how much does it cost to Launder a shirt? £4.50 for 1 shirt!!!! it doesn't cost me that in electricity to run my washing machine at home for a month!!!!!

The biggest rip off of all so far has been in the Peshwari restaurant, 3 of us ate, had one main course each (tiny little portion of food) a naan bread to share, and 2 beers and a soft drink and the bill £110!!!!!!! i had lunch today for 6 people in a nice little restaurant in Mumbai, we ate like kings and the bill was only £20!

Basically the summary is - if you are travelling for a big company that doesnt care about budget and is happy to pay these prices then crack on, if you are working for yourself and have an ounce of awareness of how much life outside a hotel costs then i would suggest either you eat outside the hotel and take your washing home and basically stay in the room all night and use the facilities - nice but terrible value for money - the worst value for money ive ever experienced in 30 years of life.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank spencekersey

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the feedback of your stay. So while we are pleased that you liked the hotel, it is most unfortunate that you were not aware of the price level.
Mumbai being one of the most expensive cities in the world cost of living is very steep, further excise laws of the state and country determine the price of any product.
It is our earnest endeavour that we offer you seamless services by trained personnel and quality product to ensure that you have a wonderful experience at ITC Maratha.
We hope to welcome you back during your next stay in the city.