“Very average, go only for business”

Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel
Ranked #29 of 448 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
New Delhi/London
“Very average, go only for business”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Hi, I had stayed at this hotel in Jan 2013 for a work conference. The hotel is indeed very huge and has 3 towers. However, their main tower seems either awfully old or really badly maintained. The new towers have modern rooms but still nothing really exciting. The food was a big let down and so was the service. I couldn't believe their credit card machine wasn't working. That said, I absolutely loved their swimming pool. Huge!!

Few things that work for this hotel for business purpose - 700 rooms and big size conference rooms. Cheaper than most hotels. Located somewhere in the suburbs so everyone has gotto be in the hotel itself!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank krgava
RenaissanceMumbai, Guest Relations Executive at Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

I understand that we were not able to live upto your expectiations during this stay. This is not a norm and is an aberration from our normal high standards. However i would urge you to allow us another chance to show you the true colour of our hospitality. Also your feedback with regards to their services have been put ahead to the respective teams for necessary actions. Do write to me in personal for your future visit so that i can personally take care of your stay.

Email: rhi.bombr.grm@renaissancehotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights for a friends wedding which was held in Downtown Mumbai but also at the convention centre.

Firstly, the location of this hotel is very dependent on what you are looking for. As a base to travel and do the touristy stuff of Mumbai - I wouldn't bother. It's located on Powai lake which is a solid 45 minutes to Bandra or almost an hour to the Gateway of India say.

However, my gosh is it located in a perfect location. It is tucked away from the main traffic of Powai and has just absolute beautiful gardens and surrounding area. It is a real oasis from the havoc that is Mumbai. Absolute perfect location for a wedding for example which is why I'm not too fussed with the location!

From my first arrival, we were made to feel very welcome. It is a clean and secure hotel with some exceptional amenities (namely the pool which was one of the nicest I have come across!). The room is fine for a 4* hotel but make sure you get a lake view - it is just unreal!

Cost is probably a wee bit higher than I would normally pay, but for the service, location and welcomeness, I would happily come back here. The breakfast buffet was also of a good quality - I can't comment on the dinner as I never ate there.

Room Tip: Get a Lake view room! Make sure you get a decent price with the taxi before you set off to Downtown...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
RenaissanceMumbai, Guest Relations Executive at Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor about the Renaissance Mumbai. It is our pleasure to know about your stay at our hotel and i am pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay with us. I understand the inconvenience of travelling although Mumbai is a highly populated city and known for its traffic. . With regards to our prices, we feel that we are competitively priced in relation with our competition hotels in Powai Area. I look forward to welcoming you back!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I don't know if I was particularly unlucky but my stay at the Mumbai Renaissance was not great.

I have travelled to India on business several times and have stayed in some beautiful hotels, including in Mumbai. On this trip I was visiting some offices outside of the city centre, so opted for the conveniently located Mumbai Renaissance. I was disappointed from arrival. The lobby felt more like a post office than a supposedly luxury hotel, but the biggest disappointment was my room. It was tired and it was dirty. There were hairs on the bed and in the bath, the decor was old - the wall paper was ripped around the edges, the skirting boards were all chipped and the carpet stained. I called reception and asked to be moved. I was told that all the rooms were like that (!?) or I could move to the "tower" section but would have to pay a supplement. I moved to a tower room but was charged a lot more for the room (but it was nice). Next, the lighting was very poor - alright for watching TV but really hard on the eyes when working on a laptop. They brought me a new lamp but it wasn't much better. One night the TV wouldn't work at all; another day they completely screwed up my laundry. I was also annoyed about the couple of times I used room service - each time I got the hard sell for extra things. If I want a salad or a dessert I'll order one! After four nights I checked out and moved to the trident at Nariman Point. 2000 ruppees a night cheaper and a hotel worthy of 'luxury' status. On checking out of the Renaissance they tried to persuade me to stay and promised the manager would be in touch to hear my concerns .... I'm still waiting.....

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank johnnyfromtheblock
Dear Guest,

As i understand that this stay we could not live up to your expectations and offer you our best services. Also your feedback regarding other services have been put ahead to respective teams for necessary and corrective actions. I understand all the series of inconveniences that you have been through and the delay in reply regarding the same. however i would urge you to give us another chance to portray our true standard and as a team build up a new panorama of views for you. Do write to me in personal for your future stay or any queries and i would personally take care of your stay and prove it to be flawless.

Russia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We have the hotel as the base for our trips to Mumbai and it was the first time I was in India, so some of the points I may experience as strange may be related to the land not to the hotel.

Overall the hotel is located far from the city center, so if you have the thigs to do in downtown Mumbai, you need to consider that the trific is harsh and the trip may take longer hours, yet for the work in the northern part of Mumbai it is OK, as it is located close to the airport (relative as we arrived late in the night it took us with the hotel transfer ca 25 minutes - could be worse in Mumbai).
Overall the service, as it most part of the country is great, yet I have to mention that one has to take care of some points.

Positive:
The hotel is clear international chain - so you would not find anything "strange" - well it could be also considered as faceless and not so positive - while for the first visit of mine it was Ok not to think what is wrong and what is new.
The transfer of the hotel was organised pretty well and was done ok - positive point as you arrive late in Mumbai and need to be aware of the "taxi proposals"
The hotel itself stays in separate land piece, which is fenced by the security fence and it takes ca 5 minutes slow drive from the entrance gates to the hotel building
Briekfast is plenty and you have your battled water in the rooms all the time
The room is adequate equiped - all warks no problem
The view from my windows were a bit strange - right below the hotel it was a huge pipe line (sewage or gas or something similar) with the a bit distant view quaite relaxing (lake or so).

Some points to be aware

- Do not come to reception for check in in groups - it will take at least double so long time per hear - so do it one by one only
- The hotel is in my view rather expensive for the location and the proposed services, well it was special company rate, but the cost overall and the restaurant cost (my worst Italian food I had in my life) is too much - thise costed in my review one overall point. For example the cost of WIFI (was included in company rate) is too high!
Another point - you would need a tuc -tuc or a taxi to leave the premises to reach city - so you are more or less restricted to the hotel (while you have restaurant and fitness area).
Dispite the anti mosquitos measures you shall be aware that this part of Mumbai is wet lands and there are plenty of those in the area - so need to take extra care for this - not to be taken easy!!!

Overall it is ok for business stay, nothing to be admired, but also nothing to complaint about - average, boring but good!

Room Tip: Ask a room with a lake view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you detail review about our hotel on Trip Advisor. I understand that we were not able to live upto your expectiations during this stay. This is not a norm and is an aberration from our normal high standards. With regards to our Beverage & Food prices, we feel that we are competitively priced in relation with our competition hotels in Powai Area. I am confident that we would not fail you on your next visit and show you the true standard of our hospitality. Do write in to me for your next visit and would personally ensure you have a flawless stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 7 days while visiting Mumbai for business. The accommodations were comfortable, restaurants served a good food, and amenities, in general, were good. I would have suggested this hotel for others to stay in as well, except for the fact that customer service, once you leave hotel, is horrible.

Upon my departure, I left couple of items in the safe box. I have tried to reach the hotel, by phone and via email, unsuccessfully. I have called numerous times and each time was put on hold and subsequently disconnected. I also sent at least 4 follow up emails and have not heard back. Not even the response saying that they are looking at it.

I travel a lot for business. At least once a week. Due to my hectic schedule, I do forget things at hotels, but have never had a trouble getting a response and collecting forgotten items. I find the lack of response unprofessional and not up to par with other Marriott properties.

Room Tip: Ask for Lake View room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sucheta M, Guest Relations Executive at Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to have your valuable feedback as it would help us enhance our services and provide better services. I regret the fact that revert over left valuables was delayed. I understand that for your this stay we were not able to live up to your expectations and showcase the true standard of "spirit to serve". Your feedback have been put ahead to respective teams to take necessary actions, however i would urge you to allow us another chance to show the true colour of our hospitality. Do write to me in personal for your future visit so that i can take care of the same.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed January 24, 2013

a very hotel to stay especially if you are accommodated in the new wing with the rooms facing the powai lake. hotel staff is quite courteous nd helpfull. Only problem is the food.. though the quality is alright but the quantity is very less (considering the fact that its a 5star hotel nd they charge also accordingly).. but on d whole a nice hotel.

Room Tip: ask for rooms in the new wing.. they are spacious and have an excellent view of the lake.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. The team and I are pleased to know that you enjoyed the services that the hotel had to offer you. However i would request yo the shed some light about your dining experience to enhance our services in future. We look forward to welcoming you back at Renaissance Mumbai.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have stayed here several times - great rooms, nice lake views, great breakfast and dining options. Staff is courteous and helpful. Highly recommend to business travellers. The place is far from South Bombay but quite close to domestic and international airports and business hubs in north and central Bombay

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about the Renaissance Mumbai on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Renaissance which has embedded memories so deep that you would be back to revive them. We look forward to welcoming you back again and make many more such memories.