“One of the best hotels in the world”

JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu
Ranked #16 of 452 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed February 11, 2006

I stayed at the JW many years ago however after seeing a few negative reviews I had to post my comments.

I spent 12 weeks working in Mumbai, the first 6 weeks I stayed in the Taj Mahal Hotel (to the person who says the next time he will stay in the Taj.. I have to disagree. I did not have a good experience of the Taj) and the second 6 weeks were spent in the JW Marriott hotel. I can honestly say that this is the best hotel that I have ever experienced in the world (and I have seen a few through work and my own travels).

You are met with the most grand entrance to the hotel and on entering reception, you can see right out to the pool and the horizon. Make sure you are here for sunset - it is an awesome sight!!!

I stayed in both the standard and deluxe rooms at the JW and would be happy to stay in either again. The standard room had two double beds and a fabulous view over the pool. The bathroom was an excellent size the standard of cleanliness throughout was fab. My deluxe room was larger than the standard room with a larger bathroom. The bathroom had shutters which opened into the bedroom. Again, it was a fab room.

The standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel was amazing - I have never before seen men in the swimming pool cleaning every inch of the pool, including the decorative rocks.

On the subject of the pool, again another amazing part of the hotel. It is an infinity pool so you feel that you are swimming out to the sunset!!!

There are many restaurants in the hotel and I never once had a bad meal in any... the Italian, the Thai, the lotus cafe, saffron, the deli.... all excellent. Like most hotels the food prices are inflated for Mumbai and there are many amazing restaurants and cafes in Mumbai. I would recommend Goa Portuguesa, Olives and Leopolds.

One area of the hotel that was wasted on my was Enigma - the nightclub. Apparently many Bollywoood celebs frequent Enigma, unfortunately I didn't know who they were : )

All in all, it's an amazing hotel in an amazing country - I hope one day to return.

• Stayed: January 2003, traveled on business
4  Thank suz31
Pavithran_JWMM, General Manager at JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments. I am continuously working with my team to ensure flawless service and great product experience for all our guests.

It would be a pleasure to have you with us whenever next you plan your trip to Mumbai.

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu

Reviewed January 20, 2006

The JW Marriot in Mumbai has got to be one of my all time Favourite hotels in Mumbai. When you arrive outside the gates, you actually realise that you have made the correct choice, even just by the excellent infrastructure of the hotel, and the grandness of the whole Hotel.

While you go up a sort of twirling road up to the hotel, you are greeted by a friendly guard. As soon as you enter you see a big marble looby, and right opposite you can just about make out Juhu beach in the distance, not to mention the swimming pool.

The rooms were very comfy! The rooms are clean, in excellent condition, and you feel so relaxed, compared to when your making the journey or when you outside on Juhu Tara Road.

The food was so tasty! Breakfast and Dinner was excellent! There are a few places to choose from. In addition there is such a wide variety of food available. The spa is to good, as well as the book shop and bakery etc.

The hotel also has its very own disco like most 5 star hotels. Engima at Marriot is a popular venue for the who’s who of Mumbai and you will spot many famous people with their hair down. Had a blast there.

Staff are very good, they were very friendly and gave our stay that extra lift. The whole hotel in general is great. We had no problems.

• Stayed: January 2006
9  Thank d1pu

Reviewed January 7, 2006

Stayed for a couple of days in december, was very nice. Staff are excellent and the concierge is very good. Rooms are good, not up to the standard of the leela but not bad. Food is also quite good but expensive. Good if you can get a cheap deal but not worth it if your paying rack rates.

• Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank Dr_JRJ
Reviewed December 21, 2005

Beautiful hotel on a vile, putrid, filth-ridden beach. I woke up to find bedbugs covering my pillow. I also saw roaches in the main restaurant and my room. Some of the staff were very nice, others down right nasty. Next time the Taj hotel.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank trainerstone
Reviewed August 20, 2005

After surviving the living hell of Mumbai airport (it really has no redeeming features, its sad and shabby) we were extremely professionally met by the hotel representative and car. Even they couldn't stop us being surrounded by beggars, so distressing. The ride to the hotel took some time, partly due to the floods that had just subsided but the water and cool towels really helped, as did a quick nap! Greeting at the hotel was very professional and we were shown up to our rooms on the executive floor in no time with the bags arriving very soon after. The rooms were high quality with great views of the beach. The executive lounge was very useful and well run.

The buffet meals in the cafe (with huge two floor length windows facing the gardens) were very good quality, especially the dessert selection which were simply marvellous. At night a pianist and saxophonist played superbly.

The pool area was very nice with good attendants. Didnt bother with the beach after reading previous comments and warnings from the hotel. It was covered with debris from the floods but was great to watch the local people down there, they use it as a big walkway. Didn't bother with the night club either and it didnt disturb us.

Before we went we were a bit worried about the comments about the staff by some contributors. They must have had a complete re-hiring because every member of staff we encountered smiled, especially if you wished them good morning back or asked how they were. As usual a little effort to realise that not everyone has English as a first language goes a long way. I do have to say I did notice that the local Indians dining in the restaurant were particularly rude and curt to the waiters. Strange!

As regards Marriott hotels, I've stayed in them all over America and at most in England. The English ones are generally dreadful (except the Chancery Lane one) and the American ones can be patchy. But in Asia they are superb. The only one better than Mumbai was the Resort one in Bangkok, but thats another story (or review). If you get the chance to visit the JW in Mumbai go for it.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank Leicstourist

A TripAdvisor Member
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed June 22, 2005

First time to Mumbai I was lucky to find this hotel. Staff is wonderful, lotus cafe breakfasts are a high recommend. Excersise area is good and outdoor pools are beautiful. For an educational experience, take a walk on the beach but don't plan on doing some sunbathing on the sand unless you like sitting on waste.

• Stayed: February 2004, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed May 17, 2005

Originally had no intentions of writing this review, but after coming across some of the comments, I felt it neccesary to have my opinion.

I flew to Mumbai International airport on May 31st 2004. After landing at 12.15am, I was greeted by a rep of the hotel who took me to the chauffer driven car (this is included with the booking). On entering the car I was given a cold bottle of water, cold flannel (which was very welcome considering the heat even at this time of morning!) and even a cigar!.

When I arrived at the hotel, I had several porters wishing to help me out of the car with my belongings, and take me to reception. The actual booking was a breeze and I was escorted to my room with my bags not too far behind. The company booked me into a 'standard' room but these were still more than sufficient. A large, very comfortable double bed, desk, chair and table amongst all the other general stuff.
During my stay I was upgraded to the 'superior rooms for 2 nights and to say I was treated like Royality is a under statement!

During the 5 weeks I was there I sampled each restaurant within the hotel, and many more out of the complex. The breakfasts are superb down in the 'lotus cafe. A great choice of different things and I recommend the egg, cheese and ham ommlettes made as you wait!!! The lotus again offers a superb choice on an evening with the buffet. several stalls set around the outside of the cafe offer freshly made as you wait food specials which are worth a sample.

The landscaping within the complex is superb. The main pool was closed for 2 of the weeks due to annual cleaning, but we mainly hung around the 'fresh salt water pool. The path leading down onto the beech is 'manned 24 hours a day. **** Be aware that when we went onto the beech we were soon attracting a large crowd but this is normal even when walking the streets of mumbai**** Worth seeing the 'thousands that descend onto the beech on a Sunday!

Everywhere I walked, whether it be the corrider, lobby, gardens (even in the toilets) a member of staff is rushing to help you open the door, says 'hello', turn the tap on n off for you and more than anything, greats you with a smile.

The sauna room, massages, cold dip bath, gym etc are great to pass the time during the week & weekend.
Enigma is worth sampling, and as a guest of the hotel you jump the queue and get 500 Rp towards drinks (gets 2 drinks!). Downside is that is does get crowded and we saw a few people snorting the 'white stuff on the toilet sink!!

Only downside i would say if I had to is minor one... Some would say it is just the staff been over keen.... Expect your bell in the room to be buzzing allot between 9 - 5 (unless you put the sign on your door). If its not the cleaners tidying your room it will be the maintenence people checking the temperature. If its not them its someone else.

Overall I would venture out there again. Since September 2003 our company have had someone out in the J W Marriott every single day and have all come back after fully enjoying our stay.

FEW TIPS!!

1) Each morning you will get a basket of fruit in your room. If you don't plan to eat this, the kids on the streets appreciate it when you venture out.
2) The majority of staff speak broken English but make the effort..... To see there faces when you do the same is worth it.
3) If you venture onto the beech, especially at weekends, do so in a group because it can over-power you with the crowds.
4) If you have time, Venture out and sample the sites of Munbai. I went to:
Ghandis house, Gateway of India, The massive outdoor laundry, national park and others.

ENJOY YOUR STAY!