“Great Gem in a Cesspool”

JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu
Ranked #15 of 461 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed June 22, 2005

First time to Mumbai I was lucky to find this hotel. Staff is wonderful, lotus cafe breakfasts are a high recommend. Excersise area is good and outdoor pools are beautiful. For an educational experience, take a walk on the beach but don't plan on doing some sunbathing on the sand unless you like sitting on waste.

• Stayed: February 2004, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pavithran_JWMM, General Manager at JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments. I am continuously working with my team to ensure flawless service and great product experience for all our guests.

It would be a pleasure to have you with us whenever next you plan your trip to Mumbai.

Reviewed May 17, 2005

Originally had no intentions of writing this review, but after coming across some of the comments, I felt it neccesary to have my opinion.

I flew to Mumbai International airport on May 31st 2004. After landing at 12.15am, I was greeted by a rep of the hotel who took me to the chauffer driven car (this is included with the booking). On entering the car I was given a cold bottle of water, cold flannel (which was very welcome considering the heat even at this time of morning!) and even a cigar!.

When I arrived at the hotel, I had several porters wishing to help me out of the car with my belongings, and take me to reception. The actual booking was a breeze and I was escorted to my room with my bags not too far behind. The company booked me into a 'standard' room but these were still more than sufficient. A large, very comfortable double bed, desk, chair and table amongst all the other general stuff.
During my stay I was upgraded to the 'superior rooms for 2 nights and to say I was treated like Royality is a under statement!

During the 5 weeks I was there I sampled each restaurant within the hotel, and many more out of the complex. The breakfasts are superb down in the 'lotus cafe. A great choice of different things and I recommend the egg, cheese and ham ommlettes made as you wait!!! The lotus again offers a superb choice on an evening with the buffet. several stalls set around the outside of the cafe offer freshly made as you wait food specials which are worth a sample.

The landscaping within the complex is superb. The main pool was closed for 2 of the weeks due to annual cleaning, but we mainly hung around the 'fresh salt water pool. The path leading down onto the beech is 'manned 24 hours a day. **** Be aware that when we went onto the beech we were soon attracting a large crowd but this is normal even when walking the streets of mumbai**** Worth seeing the 'thousands that descend onto the beech on a Sunday!

Everywhere I walked, whether it be the corrider, lobby, gardens (even in the toilets) a member of staff is rushing to help you open the door, says 'hello', turn the tap on n off for you and more than anything, greats you with a smile.

The sauna room, massages, cold dip bath, gym etc are great to pass the time during the week & weekend.
Enigma is worth sampling, and as a guest of the hotel you jump the queue and get 500 Rp towards drinks (gets 2 drinks!). Downside is that is does get crowded and we saw a few people snorting the 'white stuff on the toilet sink!!

Only downside i would say if I had to is minor one... Some would say it is just the staff been over keen.... Expect your bell in the room to be buzzing allot between 9 - 5 (unless you put the sign on your door). If its not the cleaners tidying your room it will be the maintenence people checking the temperature. If its not them its someone else.

Overall I would venture out there again. Since September 2003 our company have had someone out in the J W Marriott every single day and have all come back after fully enjoying our stay.

FEW TIPS!!

1) Each morning you will get a basket of fruit in your room. If you don't plan to eat this, the kids on the streets appreciate it when you venture out.
2) The majority of staff speak broken English but make the effort..... To see there faces when you do the same is worth it.
3) If you venture onto the beech, especially at weekends, do so in a group because it can over-power you with the crowds.
4) If you have time, Venture out and sample the sites of Munbai. I went to:
Ghandis house, Gateway of India, The massive outdoor laundry, national park and others.

ENJOY YOUR STAY!

• Stayed: June 2004, traveled on business
22  Thank BarnsleyTyke

London, UK
Reviewed May 13, 2005

OK, so (without bragging) I just wanted to say I have had the opportunity of staying in many 5 star hotels. And also many Marriotts, but I have to say that this little gem on Juhu Beach surpasses them all! The views over Juhu beach are amazing, the rooms roomy and luxurious, and the breakfast/open plan dining area just the best! I recognised a Bollywood star, and although not being an A-Lister, I definitely had seen him before! The main foyer is always buzzing with life, and on a weekend night like Friday and Saturday, even more so, due to the built in 'Enigma' club. Which brings me onto another thing - if you are there on either of these days, make sure you go to the club! It was so funny seeing all these guys and gals strutting their stuff - and I couldn't help jumping in to show them a thing or two how we in London get down 'Bhangra style' ! Also, being a hotel resident means you can jump the queue (it was massive when we got there!) and pay half price to get in! Also from the pool area, there is a great view over the beach and the ability to drop out into it! My advise is to get onto the beach, take a left, and walk upto the area where they serve 'Pav Bajhis' which are curried lentils cooked over a hot plate, and served with buttered rolls! Very bad for the waist but delish! Overall we found the staff very attentive and pleasant, if we ever go back to Mumbai, then JW Marriott is the ONLY place we will be!

• Stayed: April 2005