“Small Rooms in a Fancy Hotel...”

JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu
Ranked #16 of 463 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The JW Marriott is a 5 star luxury hotel that overlooks Juhu Beach and the Arabian Sea. The hotel is open and spacious. The rooms are fairly small, but okay - some seafacing.

The food in any one of the several restaurants is pretty good - including the extremely popular (reservations required) Sunday brunch at the Lotus Cafe.

Enigma is the very popular nightclub where you can spot Bollywood celebrities partying with Marriott guests and young Mumbaikers well past Mumbai's curfew.

The pool area is nice but the spa is just okay - massages not the best. The best thing about the hotel is the Bombay Baking Company where you can get sandwiches, pastries, cappuccinos, etc. And if you need a special occasion cake, this is the place!!

Although Mumbai hotel prices are very high, I don't think this hotel is worth $400-500 a night for a regular room. If you are visiting for work in the actual "city" (Nariman Point, Curchgate) the Marriott is a good distance away, made worse by the awful traffic. They do have car service but it is expensive and there are no "freebies" here - no airport pickup, no breakfast - that are included at some of the other hotels.

The entire hotel is smoke-free.

Address: Juhu Tara Road, Juhu, Mumbai
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: About 20-30 minutes from the airport(s)
Phone: 91-22-6693-3000
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bomjw-jw-marriott-hotel-mumbai/

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Donna_in_India
JWMM_GM, General Manager at JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a great experience while here at JW Marriott Mumbai.

We have upgraded our product range at our Award Winning Quan Spa, with the Aromatherapy Associates line. Our therapists are personally trained by the Aromatherapy trainer and it would be a great experience for you when you next visit our hotel.

I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel.

Thomas Guss

Write a ReviewReviews (2,438)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

it was a good experience to stay in this hotel for a night... the locality is unmatched.... thats JUHU and one of the busiest places also along with one of the most happening.... there is Prithvi theater close to the hotel so you can watch plays.... also there is a cinema hall where u can watch movies... PVR JUHU.... apart frm these two there are a lot of night clubs and pubs in the area.... the hotel itself has a night club but to be true there are better ones around the area.... the food in the hotel is nice but there are better places around to explore....the hotel is at a very good property.... its beach facing....the customer service is not upto the mark but one can do with that... the rooms are excellent up to the mark....all in all if u have the money to splurge on a 5star its not a bad choice....

Room Tip: ask for the beach facing rooms... but they will cost u more....
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hathirohit
JWMM_GM, General Manager at JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a good experience while here at JW Marriott Mumbai.

I am glad you were happy with the services offered by us and look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent one night here after a disappointing stay at Vivanta Fort Aguada by Taj. I can not find any fault with JW Marriott.

Check in was very straight forward and staff couldn't be more helpful. Booked three rooms and they arranged for them to be close together. Advice on what to see and do in Mumbai. Ganesh the reception manager personally introduced himself.

We were escorted to the rooms. One room smelt of smoke and was immediately changed to another room without even having to ask. The rooms were of a high standard. Wifi is not included for free - but if you sign up to the Marriott rewards scheme (free) it is included.

The bar Arola was out of this world. Best gin and tonic I have ever had. I can see why it was frequented by the likes of Karan Johar who was sitting opposite us.

Breakfast was like being a child in a chocolate factory. Everything you could imagine.

I will definately be staying here on future trips to Mumbai. A 5 star hotel which lives us to it's 5 star rating. Thank you.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mjpUk

Dear Guest,

I am glad you were happy with the services offered by us. I have personally complimented Ganesh with whose service you were happy with.

Our first priority are our guests and I am glad to note that we met your expectations. Our endeavor is to offer comfort with good service and product to all our guests.

I look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I recently visited India and stayed with my family for 1 night at this hotel in Oct 2012. The hotel is beautiful and is truly an oasis in the middle of bustling Mumbai. But I had a terrible billing and post-check-out nightmare.

I had provided a credit card upfront for pre-authorization. At checkout, I settled all charges on a different debit card. However, the hotel forgot to release the charges on the credit card I provided upfront. It was a total of around US $800 (INR 46,000). After returning to the US a couple of weeks later, I got a rude shock when I saw my credit card statement. I immediately called the hotel and lodged a complaint. I was assured that it would be taken care of the next morning. I called the next evening and was told the same. Three weeks and umpteen phone calls and emails later (5 weeks since checkout), they have still not released the charges on the credit card and am being given the same answer - "We need to check with our bank. It will be taken care of soon." I am extremely annoyed with the post-checkout service of the hotel staff - no one at the hotel knows what is going on including the hotel manager.

Extremely disappointed. I spoke with a friend of mine here in the US, and he said that this has happened with him twice at other Marriott hotels - once at the Scottsdale AZ Mariott, and once at the Atlanta GA Marriott Marquis.

One last thing: The hotel is undergoing a huge interior overhaul, so not a great time to stay here till at least 2013 summer. You seem to be dodging debris and construction workers walking through the hotel while going to the swimming pool, gym, kids play area, etc.

Room Tip: Construction at hotel (interiors) through 2013 summer, not a great time to stay. Ocean view rooms ar...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank wiselyunwise
Reviewed October 31, 2012

As a first time visitor to both India and Mumbai, I opted to stay with my favorite hotel chain. The Bad first: My room was the smallest JW Marriott room that I have experienced anywhere in the world. I was told that I had a view of the ocean, but only if I stood on the couch sitting in front of the window at the corner of my room. Now, I am quick to add that most of the Executive floor including the lounge is closed for remodeling. However, as a Top Tier Rewards member, I was provided with breakfast, afternoon tea and evening beverages in the lobby and lower lobby areas of the hotel. Another important point is the location of this hotel. While close to the airports (30 Minutes), if you have business in South Mumbai, you may want to rethink staying at this property due to distance and extreme traffic. Now, the VERY GOOD. The staff at this hotel is excellent. I include the drivers that picked me up and returned me to the airport (make sure you request this service from the hotel and forget about driving in Mumbai unless you have driven here before and enjoy organized chaos). The Front Desk staff were excellent in helping me with an issue and the Concierge team led by Sevie (forgive the spelling) and Jacob at the airport were excellent in providing me with assistance over and above the norm in arranging a flight home while the entire East Coast was shut down with Hurricane Sandy. They also arranged, at my request, an 8 hour tour of Mumbai with Neville as my driver. Neville spent the day explaining the various cultures and sections of the city that make up Mumbai. He also acted as combination body guard and photographer as we explored different areas. As for the hotel itself, the Spa, pool and two restaurants that I visited were excellent. The Lotus Cafe is a large buffet that sits on the lower lobby adjacent to the reflecting pool outside of the hotel. The buffet offers fare from different lands including a American/English breakfast during the morning hours, Indian cuisine and a mix of oriental favorites along with excellent pastries. My second choice was Mezzo Mezzo, a good Italian restaurant that is on the property. About the only complaint I had with Mezzo was the gravy needed additional tomatoes to enrich the sauce (I'm Italian, what can I say!!). So, bottom line for this property is YES, they are under major renovation/construction and YES, the room I had was very small. But, the staff and facilities at this property far exceed the shortcoming and it well worth a visit when you are in Mumbai.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank pftambur
JWMM_GM, General Manager at JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking time out to share with us your experience while at our hotel.

We are in process of renovating and refreshing all our facilities so that our guests can get the benefit of new technology and state of art equipments.

I look forward to inviting you back to the hotel once our renovation is complete, to experience the refreshed product.

I am glad you were happy with the services offered by us. I have personally complimented the associates with whose services you were very happy with.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in case you require any assistance from me.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

A 5 star hotel on Juhu Beach facing the beach a great experience to stay in this hotel if you have work near Juhu area or in suburbs. Dont stay in this hotel if you have work in town side or south mumbai as you will spend lot of time in traveling. The hotel is on a traffic zone.

This Hotel is one among the best on the beach sides of Mumbai Huge rooms, perfect staff, Great environmental pleasures, Perfect romantic blend, this hotel the service is bit slow but food is good.
Try it out

Room Tip: take only sea facing rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank rahulbendre

Dear Guest,

I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have stayed repeatedly at the JW Marriott over the last few years, and enjoy the service and ambiance of this hotel. The views out onto the beach and the ocean are great, and the wonderful breakfast buffet in the downstairs lobby restaurant has lovely views onto the gardens and swimming pool area. They have now started to renovate the interior, which is about time, as some parts of the hotel start feeling dated. At this visit (October 2012), half of the hotel rooms were closed for renovation, as well as the Executive Lounge area. I stayed in one of the renovated rooms, which are functional and business-like, but seem to have become smaller. It was a premium room with ocean-view, which you had to crane your neck for. The new layout has the sink area integrated in the room, and toilet and shower are behind a see-through glass wall. Not great if you are planning to share the room with a colleague.

Room Tip: Ocean view should really be a central room, not off to the side.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank TravelandLearn_11
JWMM_GM, General Manager at JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

We do appreciate you taking time out to share with us your experience while at our hotel.

We have noted your suggestions and the same has been shared with our Design team.

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to note that you liked the buffet spread. Our endeavor is always to exceed expectations.

We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel.