“Small room and Noisey”

JW Marriott Mumbai Juhu
Ranked #18 of 448 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
London
“Small room and Noisey”
Reviewed February 9, 2008

The hotel is is ln the beach area and has a nice outdoor area with pools. The lobby and public areas are very good. However it is not that good to actually stay in as the rooms are Tiny and bathroom not upto standard. Also when the nightclub is open the noise travels and vibrates throughout the Hotel meaning no sleep until 4am.!

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank Arpany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
Reviewed January 28, 2008

We stayed at this hotel recently when we had 24 hours between flights. The main reason we chose it was because it is not too far from the domestic and international airports but it has a view of the sea and seemed as though it could provide a good finish to our holiday in India.

It scores well for convenience, though our taxi did take 50 mins from the domestic airport on a busy Saturday lunchtime. The public areas such as the lobby are spacious and great for people watching. There were 2 weddings on and the nightclub was open when we were there, I've rarely seen so many sequins....

The pool area is very pleasant and service there was attentive and helpful.

Our room (second floor) was pretty small and cramped. It had a partial view of the ocean. It was located on the southernmost side of the building and I think this is a better view than the northernmost side. I went to look at a room there and you can barely see the ocean and instead have a scene of some housing which is in rather a poor state. If you're happy with realistic views of a bustling Indian city you may find this ok - I have to admit that I was hoping for something a bit more romantic....

Facilities in the room were fine but the lack of sound-proofing was a bit alarming. We had a room which had an interconnecting door and could hear our neighbours conversations as clearly as a bell. I hope that we didn't say anything too embarrassing before we realised.

We ate in the Lotus Cafe. I think that the waiting staff could make it more obvious that you don't have to go for the buffet option - we didn't find this out until we'd already started and really just wanted a light lunch. We also ate in the Italian restaurant. They seemed busy but I felt that service was unforgiveably slow (over an hour before food arrived) given that we were having pasta - not that complicated a dish. The cost for food was high, but what you'd expect for this type of hotel. The price of a glass of wine was unbelieveable however - I've never paid the equivalent of 20 USD for a small glass of wine before, perhaps I've not been around enough.

The gym looked well equipped though we didn't test it. The nightclub looked popular and it is true that you can hear the throbbing from your room - we could on the second floor anyway.

On the whole a pleasant experience with some minor gripes.

• Liked — convenience and nice pool area
  • Disliked — small rooms, only partial sea view, no soundproofing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VCR29
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed January 26, 2008

As with most things in India, hotels are either extremely good or extremely bad. This hotel was quite a gem- immaculately maintained (especially the back area around the pool), and well staffed. Rooms were certainly worthy of any 5-star establishment anywhere. Perhaps the best aspect of this hotel is its convenient midway location between the airport and downtown.

Again, you do pay for the royal treatment. 5-star hotels in Mumbai are outrageously expensive by any global standard (rack rates around US$425/night). Food at the Marriott is excellent, with a good selection of dining choices, but be warned, prices also are clearly calculated with the foreign (mainly US and British) visitor in mind- everything roughly translates to a standard meal price in NY or London. Go expecting that and you should be OK.

One thing to watch for. My wife I discovered that one of the major wings of the hotel sits right above the nightclub (and we were on the 4th floor!), and trust me, the thumping of electronica music all night will make you want to jump out the window. We had to ask to be moved to another room at 2am. To their credit, they did oblige without questions.

So, make absolutely certain you ensure that you are not on the club wing, and you should have a good experience here.

• Liked — location and decor
  • Disliked — the noise from the nightclub
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank guerillatraveler75
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 26, 2008

There were some good points and bad points to this hotel. First of all, if I am paying $450/night, then I expect first class service and excellent accommodations. The room overall is comparable to a Four Seasons, it is beautiful. The grounds of the hotel are also pretty amazing.

My big issue is one wing of the hotel is directly above a nightclub. Therefore, my room was vibrating all evening. The pictures on the wall were literally shaking and I could clearly hear the music playing. I called the front desk and they moved me to a different wing of the hotel. But, come on. Why would this fancy 5 star hotel have a WING of room directly located above a nightclub. I would think they would be required to alert you at check-in that your room will be directly above an extremely noisy nightclub. Maybe if I was at the Holiday Inn I would let this slide, but, dude, I'm paying $450 per night. Completely unacceptable. I had to move rooms at 1am after a throbbing headache.

For this reason alone, I will never stay here again.

• Liked — It was beautiful - the room, the grounds
  • Disliked — The noisy nightclub that kept me up all night
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JetSetJeny
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2007

Stayed here twice last time for a week in a Lotus suite (Nov-2007), the rooms are a good standard that you would expect from a JW Marriott. Location is great for the airport, shopping and evening entertainment. (Not good for down town at least one hour even in light traffic)

However the staff are woefully under trained, service levels are not you expect of a 5* international hotel. The service is pretty inconsistant right throughout the hotel (except front desk and lounge staff who are very good),

Lotus cafe food is a big miss, it just a very large buffet with average food. The indian and oriental restaraunts were quite good but on the pricey side for mumbai. However, if you are visiting Mumbai you must sample the food outside the hotel, as a city it has an amazingly high standard of restaurants to suit all tastes.

Pool area is good and rarely busy.

Beware of the nightclub trying to talk you in to reserving a table with a minimum spend. You can normally get a table with no minimum spend as a hotel guest.

The JW Marriott Mumbai in any other city would struggle, but with such little competition in the Juhu area it manages to get away by being average. If you want to stay in Juhu I would recommend it but don't expect usual JW Marriott standards.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank RST1974
South Pole
Reviewed December 23, 2007

My wife and I stayed at JWM in Mumbai for three nights on a recent trip through western India.

We had specifically requested early check-in since we were arriving from Udaipur fairly early in the day (11 a.m.) but that seemed to be a problem once we got to the hotel.

When we did get a room and got inside, there was an awful moldy smell. We requested another room but were told we'd have to wait 'til 1 p.m. So we went to lunch down in one of the hotel restaurants - Lotus Cafe (I will come back to that momentarily) and returned at 1 p.m., at which time we were told that there may be a room available by 5 p.m., or maybe not.

We then decided to immediately check out and seek another hotel and miraculously a room became available and was given to us. Though this room was without the moldy smell (thank God) the view was a nice water tank and some debris on the side of the hotel. I had asked for a poolside view room which of course they denied. Over the next three days while occasionally sitting in the garden by the pool, I noted that there were at least 10 rooms always unoccupied (no lights on AT ALL) which was aggravating.

The hotel seems to thrive on the fact that a lot of business people prefer to stay there and it's proximity to both the airport and presumably some celebrity homes (the Bacchans for one). There are mostly business clients in the restaurant and a lot of events take place in the lower level rooms.

This also explains the security details that guards the door, checks the car, and on one occassion stopped me from entering the hotel because I was dressed in a T-shirt and Jeans and had my camera bag with a big Nikon lens. Maybe they thought I was a paparazzo.

Going back to the food, the Lotus Cafe is staffed by punks who don't know the first thing about service. They hang out and chit chat while you wait for one of them to come take your order. They don't tell you that if you order a la carte it can take up to 45 minutes to get an omelette in the morning. No, it didn't taste like it took 45 minutes to make it. Only for one of three breakfasts did we get timely service by one decent guy.

Overall, I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the experience, the staff, and the service. Especially the woman who assigns the rooms should just be fired on given a clue on how hospitality service should work.

JWM charges a lot for what they deliver and I wouldn't call it a value in any sense.

Save your money and go somewhere else.

• Liked — That I was able to leave
  • Disliked — The staff's attitude.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank content-wanderer
Bristol
Reviewed November 9, 2007

What can i say, a fantastic hotel, well worth it, if I was going to Mumbai again I would only stay at this hotel. I stayed there In October 2007, and for the first 3 nights i had a room with the view of the arabian sea on the 5th floor. The room was more than sufficient and very satisfactory. The staff at this hotel are more than accommodating and will help you out with any question that you have. Its also a great place to spot Bollywood celebs. The only disappointing thing was the air con in the Bombay Baking Company, just a little too cold! My last night in the hotel was on the 2nd floor, again a really good view of the sea . The room wasn't ready when i arrived, and the staff were more than happy to assist and provide coffees, snacks etc whilst i was waiting. The food in the restaurants is really good, but there is a fab restaurant in Bandra called Spice Tree, definitely recommend it, and the Lobster Butter Garlic is to die for!

• Liked — the friendly staff and the cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends