“Good hotel - not great, but good value and what I expected....”

The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments
Ranked #97 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Moultonborough, New Hampshire
“Good hotel - not great, but good value and what I expected....”
Reviewed February 6, 2010

This is not a great hotel, but is not a bad one either. Service was good in general, and my room (a "one-bedroom apartment") was spacious and exactly as I expected. It is not a Marriott or Hilton, and neither is the price.

I arranged airport pick-up with them, and my flight was late and in the middle of the night...they were right there when i got out of immigration, and was greated by a full staff when we arrived at 2:30am!

Breakfast is included, and is fair (instant coffee....they should really have a coffee maker!). I did have one room-service meal, which was great. Internet connectivity in room is by cable, and worked but was not very fast. The airport is not far away, and if you are a very light sleeper than you might hear planes coming and going .... this was not an issue for me.

Note that this place is not close to downtown Mumbai. My business was north of Mumbai so the location was great, but if you are travelling for sightseeing the city this area may not be for you.

If you have travelled places like India, China, etc. and are not upset whenever something isn't perfect, this may be a very good, economical hotel.

[Note - they no longer have an affiliation with Best Western]

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 21, 2010

I have never been so mortified - how dishonest can a hotel be when self-rating?

The Emerald is part of the Best Western chain, and has self-rated itself as 4stars!!!
The 4 star treatment stopped immediately after we received the "thank you for your booking" email. In fact, when I replied to the email with some feedback, noone contacted me.

Thankfully, we only stayed for 1 night.
Our room was very run down, all the furniture was chipped and damaged and very dusty/oily/sticky.

There were stains on all the sheets and pillowcases. It was really disgusting. We asked a staff member to find us clean sheets and it took a very long time b/c everything was stained.
The staff member then wouldnt leave b/c he expected a tip, which we refused to give.

Our bathroom was really dirty. There was someone else's hair in the sink, the bin was full and the toilet was dirty.

The kitchen was absolutely awful. The cabinet doors were not connected and fell off on my foot. The fridge had a terrible smell. The sink was stained and chipped.

The complimentary breakfast was pretty average with instant coffee and burnt toast.

A huge disappointment.
How can this hotel be self assessed as 4 stars? it must be a joke?
I have wondered whether the Best Western head office know how bad that room is?
We had trusted the brand name!

This booking was made through Wotif, so I will be sure to let them know that this hotel completely misrepresents their quality/value.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rubylite

Travelers are raving about these Mumbai (Bombay) hotels

Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Nice hotel. Stayed there 26 to 30 December 2009. Had booked a 2 bedroom apartment (the Jaipuri). On arrival was told at the reception (Prashant) that the AC was not working in this room so I was put into another room for one night. Once checked in, I asked the bell boys where the Jaipuri room was and they pointed it out. I asked them whether it was empty and they told me that it was occupied by a Mr Shah. I doubled checked this with 2 other workers and then went to the reception and asked them that I would like to move to that room even if the AC was not working. I was told that the maintenance manager was not there and to come back after half an hour. When I went back I was told that the maintenance manager had left and there was no access. The doors open via cards that are coded at the desk but they would not listen and told lie after lie. During dinner that night I befriended one of the waiters and told him what had happened and his response was that this is a common occurrence at the Emerald. Later he even brought me a printout to show the room was occupied and who was in it.

I would be very reluctant to book into this hotel again. While the hotel is good, the constant lies and betrayal is unacceptable.

Lalit

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lkumar9
Bangalore
Reviewed December 6, 2009

The hotel is well located on the juhu tara road close to Juhu Beach. The hotel has very small rooms. In some of the rooms it would be difficult to move and you may have to jump from entrance of the room on to the bed and into the bath. It is suggested that you see the room before accepting the same. But high value for the amount spent on the room. Recommended for people who want to spend less time in the room and in transit

• Liked — Close to beach
  • Disliked — The size of the room is very small
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jajipoolu
Cheshire
Reviewed December 4, 2009

This is a great hotel if you cannot afford to stay at The Marriott or Intercontinentals. The staff were really helpful and let us check in at 6am without charging us for an additional night which their terms and conditions state they can.

The rooms were modern, clean and similar standard to that of a Best Western or Premier Lodge back in the UK. The bathrooms were on the small side but came with a nice selection of freebies!

The restuarant served some really nice food and they also have an Italian Cafe attached to the hotel.

The hotel is located near the shopping areas and i would recommend that you use the tuctucs to get by as they only cost around 15 rupees to get from A - B. The guard on the gates will flag you one down and explain where you want to go if the driver doesnt understand. Also, the hotel is a 2 minute walk from the beach although the beach isnt a sunbathing beach like in Goa but more of a stroll along the shore without seeing anyone in a swin suit kind!

We ate at the Mahesh Lunch home which served the most amazing seafood along with lots of other quisine. It was slightly more expensive but definitely worth it plus we saw a few Bollywood stars there! It was on the same road as the hotel and cost 10 rupees to get there! We had 3 massive jumbo prawns, a large crab, curry, naan, rice and cheesecake (yes, just for 2 people!) and came to the equivelant of £44.

We didnt go out for the nightlife but from speaking to the other guests discovered that the majority is based around the bars and clubs in the 5* hotels. The hotel has an area guide leaflet on the reception as standard which detailed all about the restaurants, hotels and bars in the mumbai area that was really useful!

The hotel offers a free airport pickup but as this was our last night in India they were happy to take us to the airport instead!

This hotel was a great find and really reasonably priced if you want somewhere that is clean, comfortable and in a good location. From reading the negative reviews i really do not feel that they are justified and think that if you want a better hotel you will need to pay for 5*.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Had 3 nights here and we were most pleased . We had a large room with a small kitchenette area and a decent bathroom , it all needed a good lick of paint but we didn't mind as everything was clean . Large windows gave a great view over the sidestreets/rooftops where we spent ages watching the wrold go by .

The staff at the hotel were great , always ready to chat and be of help.
The coffee shop was a welcome relief after being out and about , somewhere to sit relax and enjoy a cold ginger tea , the best I had .

Breakfast was good , not a huge selection but what there was was tasty and well cooked .

My only issue was the distance from Mumbai itself...I knew it would take a while in a taxi but you don't realise how fed up of the journey you would get .
If I could transport this hotel & it's staff into Mumbai then I would most definately stay here again .

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I was lucky to find a special internet offer that included a discounted rate + breakfast + airport pickup. I arrived at the hotel at about 9 in the morning and early check-in was possible. I was asked to wait for 15 minutes, while I received a complimentary welcome drink. Both the room and the bathroom were big enough and the prices from the mini bar were very good. The only downside of this hotel is the lack of Wifi. Internet was available only via LAN cable and the way they were charging for it was completely stupid... 3 hours for RS 200. The thing is that the 3 hours had to be used at a time... not very practical... and annoying if you travel on business.
The location is good, just 2 minutes of walking from Juhu Beach, but very far from other places (eg Gateway of India, Hanging Gardens, Marine Drive etc).
If you find a special promo or something, then it is really worth staying here, disregarding the WiFi problem.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends