“Good for value”

The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments
Ranked #99 of 452 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed at the Emerald Juhu for 4 nights in the first week of January 2013. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the 1-bedroom apartment, which has a kitchen, toilet/shower, large dining table and chairs, family room, 2 TVs, and a sofabed which was perfect for the 2 kids ages 5 and 7.
The location is OK. While it is on the opposite side of the street from the beach, there is not direct access to the beach as the line of buildings opposite the hotel, along the beachfront, block the access. So there is about a 12-minute walk to the right of the hotel, till you get to the open access area. And then too, need to be careful crossing the extremely busy Juhu Tara road. If you do not mind spending the minimum fare of Rs. 15, take the autorickshaw to the beach. Well worth it and no anxiety about walking and crossing.
The apartment is clean. Some things were broken like the shower head which came off into my hand, and the toaster which did not work. But these were quickly fixed after calling maintenance. Also they do not fill the liquid soap dispenser beyond 50% capacity, you need to ask for extra towels and toilet paper, as somehow they give a bare minimum. The hotplate in the kitchen warms up the food very slow.
One thing I did like was the on-demand free bed making for the sofa conversion into a bed. Very nicely done and promptly.
One thing I did not like was the electronic coded safe, erased my secret code, and I had to call maintenance for the master code. The reason I think is that the electricity shuts off to the entire room, after you take your room key card with you out of the designated slot. So the secret code you put into the electronic locker in the bedroom gets erased, creating a brief panic if you need your valuable stuff which is now locked away and inaccessible.
Another thing I did not like was that there was no blinking light on the phone, indicating that someone left a message.
Finally, the absolutely best part of the hotel is the buffet breakfast daily. Every morning, get ready for a treat of juices, south Indian breakfast items, lassi, eggs made to order by a real nice omelet chef and fresh cut fruit. Of course the hotel is pro-vegetarian, but the food at breakfast and the hotel restaurant and room service snacks is very good.

Reserving a large taxi to handle multiple suitcases on checkout is expensive and the front desk refers you to the travel agent in the lobby, who charges an exhorbitant rate for a large airconditioned tourist vehicle. Otherwise, the hotel provides complimentary pickup from airport. Of course, you need to hope your airline arrives in time, and that the driver keeps holding the name placard in his hand for you to see as you exit the airport door, and that someone around is kind enough to call the hotel on their own mobile phone on your behalf, if your driver is hiding somewhere and making no effort to make himself obvious to you.

Room Tip: Don't waste money on a deluxe. The 1-bedroom apartment can easily fit a family of parents + 3 s...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
chetanmehta, Owner at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us. Look forward to welcoming you on your return to Mumbai.

There are newer reviews for The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We split our Bombay trip into two hotels, as it takes a tremendous effort to commute between north-central & South Bombay. So, we picked Emerald hotel in Juhu to visit this locality as well as Bandra area, and selected a Marine Drive hotel (Sea Green South), for our forays in South Bombay.

This hotel is probably 10 minutes easy walk away from the main Juhu beach, and is located on the main road. The rooms are medium sized, but you do get space for a kitchenette, which however they lock if you do not use the room as a service apartment. The breakfasts were satisfactory without bordering on exceptional. By and large, the staff were efficient & polite. The best part of the hotel is certainly location. Amitabh Bachchan bungalow is a 20 minute walk away at the other end of the same road, and you get to pass loads of eateries near the beach, out of which we found Shiv Sagar very good. The area beyond that is all residential, and shady enough to walk around.

Bandra is a easy auto-rickshaw commute away, and is good for shopping/enjoy the sea breeze. A tip; for less than R100/-, we picked up an impromptu auto, and asked the obliging driver to give us a tour of celebs residing in Bandra/Pali area. Great fun.

This hotel provides a free airport pick-up too.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
chetanmehta, Owner at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for posting your experience with us. It gives us immense pleasure to read that you had a happy stay with us. Your review is valuable to us. Looking forward to serve you again.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Arrived at five o'clock in the morning to be greeted by the manager who had arranged an early check in. We really appreciated that after a long flight. Spent three nights there. Great location, over the road from Juhu Beach. Walking distance to shops and restaurants. Rooms were clean and spacious. Breakfast was good, pleasant outdoor area. The restaurant had a great choice of low fat, healthy meals. Staff were all excellent. We had a 4.00am departure and they kindly arranged coffee and toast for us.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
chetanmehta, Owner at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your response with us. I feel glad to read that you had a great start to your journey with us. I have shared your comments with the team as it is always motivating for us to receive positive feedback driving us to further excel in our guest experiences. I hope you managed to explore a bit of Mumbai during your stay with us. Look forward to host you again.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Well....the real advantage of the hotel is the location. Its walking distance to Juhu beach and there are plenty of good restaurants nearby. Service is reasonable but dont have a high expectation. Cost wise its not cheap but then Mumbai hotels are anyways expensive.

I did not like the breakfast, its too basic....

Room Tip: Cabs are easily available outside the Hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your experience with us. I have noted your comments regarding the breakfast and will do the needful at the earliest. Your comment is valuable to us, it helps us become better. See you soon.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Rented the 2BR apartment. I'll restrict my comments to experience & amenities, as cost is subjective.

I was born in Bombay, and was coming back with my wife and 2 kids to visit family. It was my first visit in 10 years, kids first visit to India, so we didn't feel like jamming into one of my cousins or aunt/uncles places. I decided to get this for 7 nights. AWESOME choice, very nice way to transition. It was clean, staff was super-friendly, but 3 things really stood out:
1) Water pressure in the showers. For us spoiled americans, this is huge. In the past when i've been to India, the water barely trickles out. We had nice hot & solid showers, better than my house back home. Good for blasting the dirt & pollution off our body in the evenings.
2) Buffet breakfast was killer, had both indian & continental options. After 2 days I couldn't handle 3 indian meals/day so I went for cereal, omelettes, & orange juice. Wife/kids stuck with the idli, medu vada, mini dosas, etc.
3) Beds & pillows were comfortable. For a picky sleeper like me, thats critical.

I won't say you can't go wrong as that would be presumptuous, I'll just say that for me & my family, this was an incredible way to start off our India visit.

It seems I can only add a few photos, i'll see if I can add more, but I put them all up here: https://picasaweb.google.com/116376228263190692203/ZTheEmeraldHotelWalkthrough

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing us for your visit and posting your experience with us. It is our constant endeavour to ensure that we offer top notch service and amenities at value for money rates and I am glad that we were able to provide you with a great stay. Hope to welcome you back on your next visit.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

we family of 3 stayed at the hotel twice during our trip to india, the hotel was recommended by our friend who has stayed there in the past, we were taken care of from the time we arrived and were enjoying the help and amenities offered by the hotel, we had rented a studio apartment, till we were checking out on the 25th of dec to continue our inbound journey to other city , we were asked to justify the water bottles that were empty in our room from previous to two days, that were not consumed the same day we were leaving, the cleaning guy on 6th floor who was not picking up the empty bottles from the room(2 bottles) reported that had consumed that water same day when we were leaving, i had paid on my bill all the water we ordered, what shame, that they did not trust a customer who was staying there for 5 nights at 6000 rupees per night, and during the second visit, we consumed only one bottle of water and they raised up the charges on the beverage and the front desk wanted to charge me 50% tax on it while the tax rate on beverage is only 12%, they totally ruined the charm and enjoyment i had at the hotel, they need to train their staff to do their math correctly, and by the way after tipping the 6th floor cleaning guy 100 rupees twice to clean our room, we still got cold treatment from him for leaving empty bottles in the room which were there from the day we arrived!!, i am sure there are better choices to stay in Juhu...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
chetanmehta, Owner at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you posting your experience with us. We pride ourselves on hospitality and food but clearly has not been the case with you. Sincere apologies for the same. I will personally look into the matter and do the needful. Your review help us become better. I would request you to give us another chance to serve you.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was a find. Not expensive but safe, comfortable and clean. Our first two nights in India were spent here, getting oriented. Away from tourist spots but with good restaurants nearby, it is in a good neighborhood that has tons of exotic flavor. Pedestrian and car Traffic out the door is intense, dressed-up camels and elephants in wedding parties on the weekend walking by is not uncommon. hotel Restaurant decent, meeting services fine. The desire of the staff to accomodate is first rate. My luggage never made the transfer in the states and after two days our group moved on to another location two hours away. Air India had the Emerald Hotel contact info and when my bag arrived 3 days later and the hotel was notified, the hotel actually sent someone to the airport to retrieve it. I was able to send for my bags and tipped heavily and was eternally grateful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peggy M
chetanmehta, Owner at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your response with us. I have shared your comments with the team as it is always motivating for us to receive positive feedback driving us to further excel in our guest experiences. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you consider a holiday in Mumbai.