“Good choice if you're passing through Mumbai”

The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments
Ranked #100 of 456 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I was staying in Mumbai for a couple of days before heading off to Aurangabad (for Ajanta and Ellora - highly recommended!), then coming back to Mumbai again, so decided to stay here. I stayed in Colaba when I got back, but I'm glad I stayed in a different area - it felt like a completely different Mumbai!

The area around Juhu is certainly far less touristy than Colaba, but there's still plenty of things around to fill up the day. The hotel is a 3 minute walk to Juhu beach where there are a plethora of street stalls selling excellent Mumbai street food - definitely try the pay bhaji here and the desserts! The hotel is also a short tuk tuk ride from Bandra, which has some great shopping, for much cheaper than you'd find around Colaba. Lucky's Hotel is also in Bandra, which is apparently famous for biryani (Sachin Tendulkar's favourite, supposedly) There are also some of the huge suburban malls a tuk tuk/taxi ride away, if you're into that sort of thing.

The hotel itself is priced well by Mumbai standards. Free airport pickup is included so you don't need to deal with the chaotic airport taxis. The rooms are somewhat basic but clean, and the shower had good pressure. Drinking water is supplied but I bought bottled water to be on the safe side (it's incredibly cheap).

One staff member was pushy fishing for tips which was a bit annoying. I insisted upon taking my bags up to my room myself as I didn't have any change to give tips (and I'm perfectly capable of working an elevator), but this guy was relentless despite me telling him repeatedly that I couldn't give him a tip. When he got to the room - guess what, he wouldn't leave. He even said "I can give you change"… I told him to go away and he did. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful though, and always served with a smile.

I didn't eat at the restaurant for dinner or lunch but the free breakfast was very good, with mostly Indian dishes which I was happy with - I'm travelling to India so I want to eat Indian food! :)

Oh - I was also confused as to whether or not this place had anything to do with the "Best Western Emerald" that was floating around. The stationery included in the room confirmed that it used to be part of the Best Western chain, but no longer is.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
chetanmehta, Owner at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive feedback following your stay. We strive to provide memorable experiences to all our guests and it's encouraging to be recognized for it. I hope you managed to explore a bit of Mumbai during your stay with us. Look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Had booked this hotel through their website after reading reviews on tripadvisor. Was pleasantly surprised with the level of service which was perfect and with a smile. It seemed the staff at this hotel loved doing what they were doing. Had a small conference organised at this hotel in advance an it all went off well. The rooms are good sized, clean and with all modern facilities in place. Breakfast was in the Garden area and it was very pleasant and with good choice. The wifi was very much efficient. I had Dinner at the restaurant which though vegetarian had good choice. Had to rebook my tickets to Delhi on an urgent trip and the travel desk was very helpful, specially one gentleman I think name was Pankaj. He also organised a taxi at very short notice. Did not have time to try the spa, but will on my return trip to Bombay shortly from Delhi.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
chetanmehta, Owner at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear Guest, Many thanks for posting your review with us. We pride ourselves on hospitality which you experienced. I would personally pass on your compliments to the staff. Yes, i advice you to use our Spa for complete relaxation on your return. Waiting to host you again.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Good apartment hotel with great location. I have stayed here for 3 nights while on business trip and overwhelmed with the service. Would definately recommend to anyone travelling to Mumbai and looking forward to stay in Juhu area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
chetanmehta, Owner at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

We would like to thank you for taking out time and posting your experience with us. Your review is valuable to us. It would be our pleasure to serve you again.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed here in November for 10 days in a studio room.
Once again the staff couldn't do enough to help make our stay enjoyable and comfortable.
The breakfasts were lovely out in the Green Topaz garden and meals in The Sapphire restaurant excellent.
The studio room was spacious and clean.
This trip we visited the White Lotus Spa a few times, and indulged in some magical massages.
A few staff deserve a special mention.
A big thank you to Kavita and Ashit on the front desk who always had a smile, good advice and lots of patience.
Sena in the White Lotus spa gives the best back and head massage I have ever experienced.
Sujeet in The Sapphire for friendly service, a smile and great menu recommendations, and the chef (who's name I dont know) who makes the best dahl tadka and palak paneer.
Thanks again for an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: upgrade to a studio/suite if staying more than a few days, and ask for a room towards the rear. They...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

We are delighted to read your experience with us. I would personally pass your compliments to the staff. We assure you the same warmness and greet every time you come in. See you soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Well firstly it is a nice business trip hotel but still price/quality ratio is high. It is a 3 star hotel that rated itself as 4. Staff seems friendly but misdirected me with false wifi pass :-) and wifi is free on loby which is 15 sqm. U have to pay for it in your room. Do not rent a room looking to road side cus no way u can sleep 24/7 cus of traffic and never ending horns. *** now comes the most important part if u have asthma, allergic asthma or such come prepared or do not stay here, rooms smell moist and air condition makes it worse *** this hotel is suitable for short stays.....
On the other hand veggies and fruits are fresh and must be the best side of this hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Toygar N

We pride ourselves on hospitality but clearly was not the case with you. Sincere Apologies for the same. We have noted down your comments and will be working on the same. Your review helps us become better. See you soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Was their on a brief unexpected Business trip to Mumbai in October. Great Hotel with lot of warmth and friendly staff. They were ready to go that extra mile to see that I had an excellent stay. The travel desk is very helpful and specially one gentleman, Dharmesh (that's what I think hIs name was) went out of the way to organise guide me and beat the traffic in Bombay which can be quite notorious. The rooms were cosy, with modern decor and the mini bar was well stocked. The breakfast was a good spread. They have a Spa, but could not make use of it on this trip, but certainly plan to on my next trip.

Room Tip: At times the Front Desk needs to upgrade a few Guests, so no harm in asking them. You could get luck...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for posting your experience with us. I would personally pass your compliments to the staff. We pride ourselves on hospitality and we are glad we lived up to it. Your review is valuable to us. Await to welcome you again.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I Visited Mumbai during September for a Trade Fare. I stayed in this hotel for 2 days. I loved the location very near to Juhu Beach. You can easily find taxis, autos or buses just from outside hotel. Staff is very cooperative and have done everything to make my stay comfortable.

I forgot my shirt and charger at the time of Check Out, they Shipped that to me at there personal cost.

Truly appreciate there class services, very good choice for this price range.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business