This was my first trip to India - and what a wonderful introduction. In my business (film), I get to stay in some of the best hotels around the world, and this one is up there with the very best.
What makes it so special is the service. The service can't be faulted. It helps that the hotel is small, but even so, there is a desire on the part of everyone to make your stay very special.
Little things such as - it was my 25th wedding anniversay during our stay. The hotel staff made a real fuss of us - we got three cakes on the day. (One at breakfast, one at dinner, and one before we went to sleep!)
We were upgraded to a corner suite and it was spectacular. As luxurious as anything I've experienced in the top hotels in Los Angeles - and the view up and down Marine Drive was awesome.
On our return stay (after a week in Rajasthan) we stayed in a Seaview Deluxe room. It wasn't as big and didn't have Bulgari toiletries but the view was just as spectacular and the room was gorgeous.
On our return trip, I thought breakfast was included as it had been in our first trip. The breakfasts at this hotel are a knockout by the way - ask for a Masala omelette. Anyway, at the end of the meal I was given a bill. I queried this with the waiter, thinking the breakfast was complimentary.
I then checked our booking and discovered that we'd reserved the room under an Advance Purchase option and breakfast WASN'T included, unlike our first booking which was booked under a Weekend rate which did include breakfast.
But without our asking, the Manager gave us the breakfast complimentary anyway. He said it was a minor matter and he didn't want it to spoil our experience at the hotel.
This sort of graciousness would have me back like a flash next time in Mumbai, and has had me singing their praises ever since.
The location is great - right on Marine Drive and a quick cab ride to the centre of town, but what makes this hotel special is the truly great service. It now makes me ask - why can't more hotels be like this?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai is distinguished by sweeping sea views, intimate surroundings and an address near the Nariman Point business district. A few minutes away are the Gateway of India, Jehangir Art Gallery, St. Thomas Cathedral and the National Centre for the Performing Arts. Nearby Elephanta Caves is a World Heritage site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Hotwire, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Marine Drive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Marine Drive Hotel Mumbai (Bombay)
- Intercontinental Bombay
- Intercontinental Hotel Bombay
- Intercontinental Mumbai Hotel