“Very Surprised that this is an Intercontinental Hotel”

InterContinental Marine Drive
Ranked #37 of 448 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
New York City, New York
“Very Surprised that this is an Intercontinental Hotel”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

When picking this hotel I was choosing between the Grand Hyatt, Oberoi, and Trident. I chose the Intercontinental due its location - which I was happy with due to where I needed to be. In terms of everything else I think I would have been happier at any of the other three properties above.

This hotel is very small. It is more like a boutique. The 24 hour gym is really a joke. I was all dressed to go for some excersize but when I saw the gym I decided against it. Instead I went to the pool which has a beautiful view but no lounge chairs or service. They really could have made this nice but didn't.

The rooms themselves are very nice and modern. My problem is that the new technology for the most part doesn't improve anything - just complicates everything. For example, their keys are little electrical wands about half the size of a pen which needs to be kept in a holder by the door to operate the electricity. If you look this key they will charge you. I really don't understand why anyone would want to walk around with it opposed to a normal key or card.

The hotel charges a fortune for Wifi with no ability to get it complimentary. This is just upsetting.

The mattress was EXTREMELY soft which was nice the first night as it feels like you are being swaddled, but the second night already I wished for a more normal firmer mattress.

They have a free DVD rental thing but didn't have the movie I had requested. (Not a huge deal).

They offer lots of complimentary services such as 20 min. massage and shoe shine but you feel obliged to tip after everything anyways.

All in all, I thought the hotel felt like an upper tier Indian hotel rather than a top tier multinational one. I may come back to the hotel due to proximity to where I need to be, but if I don't need to be in that area specifically I will definitely go to the Oberoi or Grand Hyatt first.

Room Tip: I think sea view is prob. worth it depending on how much extra you have to pay. View is nice from th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RomilRatra, General Manager at InterContinental Marine Drive, responded to this review, September 4, 2013

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive.

We thank you for your time and patience in writing this detailed and insightful feedback on the tripadvisor forum.We really appreciate the fact that you chose to stay with us over your other preferred first choice hotels and we are a tad bit disappointed to know that we did not meet your expectations.

Just to clarify certain points that you have mentioned in your review.We are in the process of changing over the entire door lock system of the hotel to one of the latest and highly secure digitized key card entry systems in the country.Also we do offer complimentary internet to all our elite IHG reward club loyalty program members.The good news is that from 1st Jan 2014 this feature will be complimentary to all IHG reward club members irrespective of their level of membership.

As a organization that endeavors to provide the best possible service to its guests we look forward to reaffirming your faith in us and give us an opportunity to serve you again.Please do not hesitate to contact me for any requirements and we hope to see you again shortly.

Romil Ratra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Amritsar, Punjab, India
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was staying there with my father from 19 th aug 2013 to 21st aug 2013, The hotel staff ws helpfull And good. We were there for a bussiness meeting so the loacation was perfefect 9 town area ). I would like to advice everyone to saty there if they have work in south Mumbai.

Room Tip: always take a sea facing room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
RomilRatra, General Manager at InterContinental Marine Drive, responded to this review, September 3, 2013

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive

We thank you for your time in writing this feedback on the tripadvisor forum.It is delightful to hear that your father and yourself had a memorable stay and have recommended our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back shortly and please do not hesitate to contact me for any further requirements

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in the earlier part of the year and were disappointed greatly by one act that overshadowed the great staff there. The one problem we had was a person lit up a cigar in the breakfast room which was clearly signed as no smoking permitted, as Indian law prohibits smoking in indoor eating areas. When we asked the staff about it that time they seemed unwilling or incapable of asking the person to cease, we were told a little later that its "OK he is the owner". Upon complaining at the desk they apologized and promised that this would never happen again. We checked out that day as we were leaving. On this trip we had a long stay arranged for 44 nights, about 2 weeks into our stay the exact same thing happened, a cigar in the breakfast room. Upon complaining we were told the same story that its a director of the hotel. We were told a number of excuses that included he had just arrived from London (I don't know what this has to do with anything) Now if it had been a guest that did not know the rules I could have lived with it, but this should have been someone who should know the rules and set the example. We checked out of the hotel 4 weeks earlier than expected and stayed at a different hotel down the road which was excellent. I was so disgusted by the behaviour and total disregard for his guests that I wrote to the intercontinental group hotel which is normally my preferred hotel, with an official complaint something that I have never done previously to this incident.
I must say that the staff are great and take a genuine interest but unfortunately I just can't stay at a hotel that seems to have two sets of rules, I believe also that the hotel does not reflect the intercontinental group's and should not use the name.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank joetas
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Marine Drive, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear joetas,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our sincerest apology for the over-all experience you had and any inconvenience you may have encountered during your stay. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Words cannot describe this hotel. It is quite amazing, and its qualities are emphasised by the fact that it is a boutique style hotel so it can impress you quickly, give you an unrivalled level of attention, and make you feel soooo good.

The hotel is smartly designed; the rooms are very comfortable and modern. There is just so much to get excited by; the large plasma televisions, the menu of pillows & duvets and the rooftop swimming pool.

An extra surprise for us came on our return to the hotel late in the evening to find the lobby throbbing with what appeared to be Mumbai’s trendy youth. They were attracted to the hotel’s ground floor vodka bar, Czar. Our early flight the next morning limited our visit here somewhat, but when we left it was bursting at the seams.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Manelka G
RomilRatra, General Manager at InterContinental Marine Drive, responded to this review, August 31, 2013

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive.

Firstly we thank you for your time and patience in posting a positive review about our hotel.The feedback has been shared with the entire team and they feel extremely proud and motivated to have enhanced every aspect of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me for any further requirements.

Pune, India
Reviewed August 25, 2013

i traveled for my official tour . . . had a great experience all together.. scenic view of marine drive queens neckless.. the "intercontinental DOME" is awesome.. the view and the drinks... heaven like time....yes a special mention about the service..the staff is co-operating and quick as well..
a must visit place with 5 star ratings!! enjoy.. :)

1 Thank Ar_Mathapati
RomilRatra, General Manager at InterContinental Marine Drive, responded to this review, August 26, 2013

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive.

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for sharing detailed feedback of your stay through TripAdvisor.

My Team and me are delighted to know that you had a enjoyable experience and that our services and facilities exceeded your expectations.We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future

London
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Everything you would expect from a good hotel. Some of the details eg the shower glass screens are a bit untidily installed but this is being picky: the hotel is really very good and crucially, the staff go out of their way to be helpful. Rooms of a good standard. Wifi works perfectly. Two good quality restaurants on site. Good breakfast available. Even the lifts are prompt. I very much enjoyed staying here on business and would recommend to others.

• Stayed August 2013

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive.

We thank you for sparing time to write your review on this forum.Your feedback is highly appreciated and has been shared with the entire team at the hotel.We are also delighted to know that you would recommend our hotel to your colleagues and friends and we assure you that we will do our best to look after them.

We look forward to welcoming you back and please do not hesitate to contact me for any further requirements or assistance.

Pune
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Intercontinental occupies a prime location and can justifiably be called the Queen of Marine Drive - often referred to as the Queen's necklace.
One is swept into the luxury and opulence of the property as one steps into the lobby and the butler service is demonstrated impeccably as one is ushered into the room. The elegance is reflected in the black and white marble used in the room and bathroom and all the in-house appointments were of high standard. The absence of the much vaunted sea-view was not felt, owing to this being only a single night's halt, but would provide a soothing setting on a longer stay. The air-conditioning in the room was a trifle too cold and the controls did not help leading to one's switching it off as a remedy.
The bed and the choice of pillows was well thought of and instead of the customary chocolate for the night one received a set of choice Arabian dates which was a nice touch.Room service is smart although the prices are on the higher side.Breakfast was served at the lobby level where the settting converts itself into Koh, a Thai restaurant which is establishing quite a reputation for itself. Dome, the nightclub lounge on the rooftop, is another attraction at the Intercontinental.
Altogether an attractive and alluring hotel beckons to travellers on Marine Drive.

2 Thank vayudoot

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive.

We thank you for sparing your valuable time to post this review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your positive feedback and have shared it with the entire team at the hotel.We are glad that we have exceeded your expectations on this visit and we hope to do the same in your continued visits.

Looking forward to your next stay and please do not hesitate to get in touch with me for any further requirements.