“Top class hotel and service !”

InterContinental Marine Drive
Ranked #49 of 463 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed June 16, 2013

During our trip to India we stayed for a total of three nights in the Intercontinental Mumbai. The nightly rates were quite high so we decided to pay our stay by points.

We checked in at the hotel around 8PM after a really long drive from the airport. Traffic at that time can be bad so keep that in mind. Upon arrival at the hotel our luggage was promptly taken from our car and we were escorted to the reception. Because of the security situation from the past in India and especially Mumbai, persons and luggage has to go through a security screener.

At the reception desk we were quickly checked in. It took no time at all as the check in process happens in the room. We were presented some flowers and we got a small welcome ritual in the lobby which was special.
We were escorted to our room on the fourth floor by some staff members including our personal butler, Mr. Durgesh. All staff members were extremely friendly what of course you can expect from the Intercontinental.

As Platinum Ambassador members our room was upgraded to a Deluxe Seafront room on the fourth floor. Our room was very spacious and beautifully decorated. We also had a very nice view on the sea at the front of the hotel. The bathroom was very roomy and had separate shower and immense bathtub. There were a lot of toiletries and bathrobes available which is sometimes not the case in other hotels from this category.
Our butler gave us a small tour of our room including some information about the aroma therapy which is provided for each room.

There was also a big King sized bed, desk and LCD TV. A small welcome note and drink was presented on our desk. Personal welcome letters from the Manager and Concierge was on our desk. Check in was quickly done and upon presentation of a credit card and business card the check in process was completed.

That same evening we ordered room service. Friendly service again and food was quickly delivered. Food quality was also extremely good. The price of all dishes were very reasonable.

Next morning we did not have breakfast as it wasn’t included but we headed to Mr. Albert, Chief Concierge for some information. Prior to our stay we already had some email contact with some enquiries about Mumbai and things to do. He is very clever and knows all about what to do and see in Mumbai.
We booked two private days tour, not via the hotel but directly with the guide so the next two days we did not spend a lot of time in the hotel. In the evening we did had diner outside the hotel and therefore a taxi is always available in front of the hotel.

Every guest gets a complimentary massage during the stay in the room. We could choose between a back and feet massage which was welcome after a long flight.

Our last day in the afternoon we decided to have a swim in the pool on the upper floor of the hotel. The outside pool was not very warm. We ordered some drinks, easy drinks like iced tea or soft drink but it took over half an hour to bring them. That was the first negative thing about the hotel. The Dome bar was closed that evening because a private event and the upper level and pool would be closed many hours before it would start. We were not happy about it so we asked the concierge Mr. Albert and he made some calls and told us we could have a swim and drink with no problems for the next few hours.

As the Dome bar - which is a must do in Mumbai – was closed on the last day we had a drink the day before. As we arrived after diner, the whole place was full and the unfriendly waiters / maitre would not even help us getting a table. After pushing it a bit we eventually got a table outside. There was a free table but one way or another he would not give it to us. At the end we still got that table and enjoyed some drinks with an excellent view.

Some other thinks we did not like that much about the hotel is the expensive internet and the key cards. The hotel does not have conventional credit card format keys but a small little pen which opens the door. Unfortunately we were given only one and it was sometimes hard to stow it. It got already lost two times.

The hotels location is excellent and the Marine Drive is a safe and ideal neighborhood to stay. I would recommend this hotel and whenever I come back, stay again here.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front have beautiful sea views
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Max W
RomilRatra, General Manager at InterContinental Marine Drive, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive.

We thank you for you time and detailed feedback on this forum.It is always a privilege to look after Platinum ambassador guests such as yourself .My team and me are extremely delighted to know that we met and exceeded your expectations during your stay with us and we hope to be your continued choice of stay when you travel to this lovely city.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any requirements or assistance if required and we hope to see you soon

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Had a chance to stay at the Intercontinental Marine drive for a day. The Hotel is located in the best possible part of the city and offers the best facilities. The room was suprisingly big and very well furnished with all 5 tar luxuries available.

I would specially like to point out the excellent staff which made our stay very comfortable and enjoyable, Special pint out for -Rushal who was specially was one of the members of the staff who was extremely friendly and helpful.

Would recommend this Hotel to everyone, out of all the 5 star hotels I have stayed in Mumbai , Intercontinental Marine drive is on top of the list.

Room Tip: Ask for a rooom on the higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
RomilRatra, General Manager at InterContinental Marine Drive, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Guest

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive!!

We thank you for your time and effort to write this feedback for our hotel on this forum.The Team at the hotel is extremely delighted to know that you had a lovely stay and also about your words of praise for them.Mr Rushal our Guest service Associate has been conveyed your kind compliments and he is very grateful.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further requirements or assistance that you might require

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had the most comfortable stay at the Intercontinental Mumbai , On arrival at Mumbai airport I was greeted with a welcome sms and confirming that my pick-up limousine was awaiting me , this followed by a sms for the chauffeurs number just in case I miss seeing him, this being my first visit to India gave me comfort that I was in safe hands, it was easy to find my chauffeur and loved the guided tour and drive to the hotel, at the hotel I was welcomed in a traditional manner with garlands and a personalised welcome letter from the GM. there was a then a guided tour of my room and then a welcome massage with a refreshing drink . The bathroom was most interesting as with both the bath and wc separate giving me a clean dry area, the bed was comfortable and gave me a nice comfortable sleep. Most of all I did get a spacious desk to keep me in touch with my office in Kenya via the free internet. I would recommend Intercontinental to all.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Sea
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
RomilRatra, General Manager at InterContinental Marine Drive, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Mr Jitu

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive

We thank you for sharing such positive and wonderful feedback on this forum.We are always committed to providing world class service and such appreciative comments are a great motivator for the team at the hotel.

We shall ensure that we strive to always meet your needs and requirements and continue to wow you during your further visits.We look forward to welcoming you back to your favorite hotel as soon as possible.Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further requirements

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We visited Intercontinental Hotel in Mumbai in Feb 2011. If you are looking for modern 5 star luxurious hotel then this is the right one. I was really fascinated by the door lock system. I got the sea facing room in the 6th floor and my parents stayed in the 2nd floor. Rooms were really beautiful, spacious, luxurious. Property was nicely located right infront of the sea (facing the sea). Multiple restaurants with great quality of food. we enjoyed the buffet breakfast the next day. Lot of choices of the food, and they were nicely presented. Staffs were well behaved, well trained, and helpful. Very professional. Overall, the hotel is fascinating, and we would love to visit it again.

Room Tip: choose sea facing rooms in the upper floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive

We thank you for your time and detailed review about the hotel on this forum.

It gives us immense pleasure to know that you had a wonderful stay this visit.I have shared this review with the team and they were delighted to know that we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to having you stay with us soon and do not hesitate to contact me for any further requirements

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I echo the many other reviews raving about the service here. From the minute I was picked up at the airport until I was dropped back off, I was treated with extreme respect and care. I kept waiting for someone on the team to be the exception but it never happened. Everyone responded with a smile and went above and beyond.

We hosted a seminar at the Intercontinental and it made me proud to have our guests stay and meet here. I'll most definitely be looking for a way to host more programs here.

The rooms, location, views, and food are great too. But what you come home remembering most are the staff. That's what truly sets this place apart.

Room Tip: Seaside rooms are worth the extra money...beautiful!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive.

We thank you for taking the time out to write this review on the tripadvisor forum.

We Truly appreciate your encouraging feedback and have shared it with the entire team at the hotel.We are glad that we made your trip memorable and your events at the hotel were a success.

We hope to see you stay with in the near future again and please do not hesitate to get in touch with me for any requirements

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stay was in March and although a small hotel by Intercontinental standards but outstanding in every way. Staff attentive, room exceptionally clean and view fabulous. By my taste, the Koh restaurant is the best in the world - highly recommended. Sanjay in the concierge area is consummate professional, always helpful. The only draw back - there is no Club Lounge.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and choose a front room which overlooks the Arabian Sea.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive

We thank you for the time and effort in writing your review on this forum.Reviews such as yours motivate the team to reach greater levels of excellence and provide service which is unparalleled across the city and country.We have shared your feedback with Sanjay as well as the entire team at Koh and the hotel and least to say they are thrilled.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and please do not hesitate to contact me for any further clarifications.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nothing other than the hardware in the room qualifies it for an Intercontinental. The service in rooftop lounge was pathetic at best and the quality if food was bad. Breakfast spread would lose to a three star hotel. All in all nothing compelling to come back to other than the location

• Stayed: May 2013

Greetings from the Intercontinental Marine Drive.

We thank you for your review on this forum and I appreciate the time you have taken to bring this matter to our notice and allowing me the opportunity to address your concerns.

At the outset, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. Our Hotel prides itself on the highest degree of customer satisfaction. We have fallen short of your expectations on this occasion which is of great concern to us. Please be rest assured that a record of this report shall be maintained with us in the office and the issue will be taken up with the concerned people.

Would request you to kindly treat this as an exception and an aberration in our services from our side and I am confident that appropriate steps will be taken to ensure that a similar situation will not occur again in the future.

Once again, please accept our extended apologies. We hope to look forward to serving you in the future. Please feel free to get in touch with myself for any further assistance or clarifications required