“Great Hotel - very attentive service”

InterContinental Marine Drive
Ranked #50 of 486 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed May 28, 2011

From check in to check out I was made to feel very welcome by all the staff from reception to bar staff and pool attendants. As a Royal Ambassador member I got upgraded to a fabulous corner room suite which included a complimentary message and butler service which couldn't be faulted. The rooftop pool area was nice buthad a problem during the day with pigeons but that was soon resolved by stationing a "trainee" by the pool to keep them away. The adjacent rooftop bar, which opens at 5pm, is a fabulous spot to enjoy a great sunset, chilled beer and good food - highly recommended. The room service breakfasts were also great quality and reasonably priced. The hotel is well located in South Mumbai on Marine Drive, next door to the main cricket stadium and a 15 minite walk down to the Gate of India. One slight niggle - I asked the concierge to arrange a car to take me across Mumbai one day but heard nothing back and had to chase the following day. But overall, a great hotel with amazing service.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed May 27, 2011

I stayed here 3 times back in 2006 and thought it was great. So when I knew I was going to be in Mumbai again, I didn't hesitate or think of looking for another hotel...next Tim I will!!
I don't know what happened in the last 5 years but here is a list of issues I had:
- on checkin requested twin beds but was told they only had a king bed but they would let me know if a room with a twin opened up with people checking out. I stayed 4 nights and nobody called to say a room with twins was available or even to apologize that there wasn't.
- got to the room and it was a smoking room when I booked a nonsmoking room. And it smelled like a smoking room! Called the front desk and was told the same story about not another room...and nobody ever followed up.
- stayed on the 2nd floor and the hallway stank! It was a funky smell in the hall everyday we stepped out of the room or elevator.
-speaking of elevator..that smelled too and was hot! No ac or ventilation!
-'ok' I didn't book a bay view room but didn't expect a view of the garbage, gutter and laundry hanging from windows. I kept the curtains closed the entire time!
-I don't know what was up with the bathroom! There was a curtain for the toilet and the shower didn't have any divider on the floor so water went everywhere!
-Service was clueless. Everytime we went to the front desk to ask for guidance or suggestions we were met with blank faces! Come in! At a hotel like this and the cost they should be able to suggest places to eat without difficulty. I also think the driver they got me the first day was a crook and the guy at the hotel who booked it knew him and was in in it.

Ok..there are still some good. The rooms are a good large size and The Dome bar/food on the roof is great. Go up and see the sunset even if you don't stay here.

Oh yeah.. 2 more things... The pool is plagued by pigeons on te roof. And also in "service" they kept mentioning how there was a large group of Americans staying which is what caused problems with the room..How doe that make me feel better? So in otherwords I was not that important to them even though they took my money!

Pay a little extra and stay at the Taj next time!

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank FrankyNY72
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We just happened to be in Mumbai for a two day visit and a close friend who is a famous food critique, recommended us to visit the restaurant - 'KOH' at Intercontinental Marine drive.
The moment we entered the restaurant, it felt divine, the ambience was just perfect with nice, modern & stylish lightings and the furniture were very comfortable and classy. The Restaurant Manager Mr.Sachin escorted us to the table and made us comfortable.
Bastian was our order taker and was very observant, spirited and perceptive of his approach.
We had Pomelo Salad, Glazed Chilean Sea Bass and Chicken Thai Curry. Chicken Thai curry was good but quite normal. The Pomelo salad was great and avant-garde. I specially enjoyed the spicy dressing in the salad with the crushed peanuts giving it a great texture.
But the star of the meal was the Chilean seabass; IT WAS AMAZING!!!
I still linger for the taste; that was great; I would recommend this dish to anyone looking forward to a futuristic approach towards Thai cuisine. We never asked for the recipe but since I have come back from my holidays I have been thinking to prepare it at home as there's still time for our next visit.
Would request the chef , if possible to share the recipe -

prettygirl_1611@yahoo.com

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank prettygirl_1611
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Very Nice Hotel, Excellent sea view!
I stayed at the InterContinental Marine Drive several times and each time the service was excellent.
The staff is friendly and the rooms are very stylish and sparkling clean. The rooftop restaurant/ has spectacular view of the ocean.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank YG1978
Reviewed May 12, 2011

A small hotel on Intercontinental standards and wasn't sure how good it would be but even though I only stayed one night I will always be a fan of this hotel. The rooms are beautifully decorated, staff were friendly and knowledgeable, good gym and the best - the restaurant/bar on the roof by the pool that overlooks the sea. I hope to stay a week on my next business trip!

Room Tip: they are all good
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank AlwaysTravellingJuli
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Stayed at this hotel a week ago for 3 nts,good location for business but remote for entertainments areas. During the stay we were plagued by local power cuts which at times stopped the lifts from working. One one occasion this resulted in the guests having to use the emergency stairs to access their bedrooms. The point here is that the stairs at each level were greatly obstructed by stored boxes and surplus furniture which would make it a real hazard for anyone not fully fit to negotiate in an emergency. I expect it happens in many hotels in India as I expect fire regs are not greatly enforced!
Nice samll pool on the top deck unfortunately over run with resident pigeons by the score.
Otherwise a nice hotel.Internet at $30/day for somewhat slow speed is something of a rip off.
The Marine Palace Hotel nearby has free wifi whilst taking a coffee or eating there.

Room Tip: Avoid the wifi charges.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2011

After debating between The IntCnt, The Oberoi, The Taj and Trident Nairman point, I basically chose this hotel on room features in relation to price.

Pros
- Good location, but still not within easy walking distance to Gateway of India.
- Rooms are very modern, large and comfortable.
- Nice standard features like pillow / quilt menus.

Con's
- Do NOT waste your money on a BAY VIEW room . I was lucky enough that I paid extra and we got a Deluxe Ocean View Room. Amazing 180 degree views, but considering only a handful of the rooms at the hotel have sea views, I think its a total waste of money if you aren't prepared to pay extra for sea views.

- Pathetic extra charges: 5000 INR for an up and down airport pickup, high internet rates, higher then usual laundry rates.

- Snooty staff. (Hardly smiled or made any effort whatsover intially - but after returning one day with Vuitton and Burberry shopping bags they literally fell over themselves to rush over and see if we needed any help. Too late)

- Lacking in grandeur. I expected something glitzy and ultra luxe, all I got was a very boring lobby with equally as boring staff.

Overall, I wouldn't go back there. Pay a little bit extra and stay at the Taj Palace instead. We visited there for some shopping and an afternoon drink and its incredible.

• Stayed: November 2010