“A decent South Indian experience in SoBo!”
Review of Dakshinayan

Dakshinayan
Ranked #264 of 14,722 Restaurants in Mumbai (Bombay)
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Dakshinayan, located at Teen Batti works well for 2 reasons: 1. Location and 2. for being one of its kind. I was looking for a good South Indian restaurant in South Mumbai and was surprised to realise that there wasn't much choice here!!! Since we really were not in the mood to travel all the way to our usual favourite i.e. RamAshraya in Matunga, we Googled and found out about Dakshinayan which seemed relatively close by.

The place was moderately crowded with a waiting time of around 10 minutes. The thing which surprised us the most was the fact there was no basin where we could wash our hands/freshen up before/after the meal. Very strange indeed!

Proceeding on various recommendations, we ordered the following:
1. Ginger Ale - served with Soda, this one is very Refreshing.
2. Coffee - Good
3. Dahi Wada - Really nice..There were 3 wadas with the sweet dahi which was garnished with crispy Boondi. It felt fresh as the Boondi had not lost its crunchiness even after being dipped in the dahi.
4. Mini masala idlies - Tangy with lots of tomatoes and onions. Very Gujju in taste. There was an option where the mini idlies could be had on being soaked in the Sambar but I'm glad we didnt call for that as the Sambar was very ordinary, sans pumpkin, drumsticks or any of the usual South Indian veggies.
5. Rava Garlic Masala Dosa - The potato masala was simple but effective. The Garlic portion was nothing but powdered garlic chutney lightly spread onto the surface of the Dosa. Nothing extra ordinary! I'd rather call for a plain Masala Dosa next time!

The total bill came to Rs.380 which was decent for the things we ordered. Of course, Ram Ashraya and the other traditional Matunga joints beat it hands down in terms of quality, taste and pricing. But for some one looking for a South Indian experience in and around SoBo, this comes as a breath of fresh air!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Dakshinayan Restaurant on J M Road , Pune claims that they provide ‘Authentic South Indian Food’. I had visited the restaurant recently but returned disappointed. The ambience is good and the staff is courteous (wearing black lungis giving a South Indian feel).

The food is not on par with ‘Authentic’ South Indian food standards and is exorbitantly priced. Being a South Indian, I could understand the true taste and hence. I’m giving my honest feedback.
You may try out ‘Lemon Sevai’ and ‘Kerala Paratha’. Do not ever try out ‘Bisibella bath’ or ‘Appam with Stew’. One may feel that the food is tasty and delicious; which means that you have not had ‘authentic’ South Indian food.
The owner is a Gujarati and the one in Pune is run by their franchisee, which I presume is the reason for the poor taste and astronomical prices, as compared to the one in Juhu, Mumbai.

Overall, it is no ‘value for money’ restaurant and you may want to skip this one.

3  Thank Parikshit M
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is one of the only south indian restaurants in South Mumbai which is open early ( we visisted at 8.30am and it was already full) and serves all its food at the same time. Excellent filter coffee, prompt service and good food.

1  Thank Asha M
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The food is AMAZING - too too good... idli in rasam, button idlis with gunpowder, loads of sambhar, great dosas, upma, rose icecream. Not sure if there are branches of this place - I ate at the Juhu outlet

3  Thank Sometimes_I_Work
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Dakshinayan has quickly become one of our favourite South Indian restaurants in Mumbai. Although it is pricier than its more famous cousins in Matunga/King's Circle, the authentic taste of South Indian food is preserved. The service is quick with a very cordial staff. I would definitely recommend this place.

1  Thank Harsh S