“Over rated hotel!”

Meluha The Fern - An Ecotel Hotel, Mumbai
Ranked #14 of 452 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed September 24, 2012

First of all a confession: I have not stayed in this hotel, but i had team members staying over for 5 nights. I have extensively used the rooms as well the a small conference room on the 7 th floor for 5 days!
What i found is no where any close to the "excellent" reviews i read here!

Rooms: Standard rooms are not very large yet OK. Bath rooms are very well done and are well stocked with good quality toiletries.
Service: I found the service in the conference room as well in the rooms very poor. The guy suppose to attend us kept vanishing and we had to walk to the gym area to make calls to the reception to send somebody up. When i came to know about the money that we were paying for a day for the conference room, i was shocked! Best part was that the attender never failed to come to 6 pm to get the cheque for the conference room signed!
The cell phone reception in the conference room (7th floor) was bad and we could not use our data cards. Request for wifi- well you can have it at a price which will put you to shame!.
Rest room: There is only one rest room on 7th floor and one has to go through another hall to access this rest room. it was was quite embarrassing to barge into somebody's function to use the rest room. Well guys, avoid hiring conference rooms on the 7th floor.
Food: Not great at all.

Staff: The front staff is very pleasing They all greet you with a smile and make you feel wanted.
I think the hotel caters to high business travelers mostly foreigners.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank askmore99
Fernhotels, Executive Assistant Manager at Meluha The Fern - An Ecotel Hotel, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Warm Greetings from Meluha The Fern, Mumbai! Thank you for your feedback.

On a positive note we are extremely glad to know that you have appreciated the Front Desk team and the guest toiletries provided in the guest bathrooms.

The gaps that your feedback has highlighted have been carefully noted and we assure you the necessary steps will be taken to improve the quality of our products and services to better meet your needs. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused to you

Thank you once again for your feedback and we sincerely look forward to an opportunity to serve you.

There are newer reviews for Meluha The Fern - An Ecotel Hotel, Mumbai

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Having stayed in this hotel for at least 50-plus nights in the past 14 months for business trips, a change in the menu for both room service and the restaurant are needed. Still a lovely hotel with usually excellent service, but us regular guests getting tired of the same food options. Please look into change your menus....offer more choices: more italian, mexican, chinese, etc. Was disappointed when the new restaurant of Cesky opened up a few months ago and all that offered was inr 3,500/pp 5-course dinners of fancy stuff that I (and most) would never eat. Would rather have seen a basic italian restaurant offering regular-type entrees, appitizers and salads where one can have a good meal for 1,500 pp.

2  Thank RollingLucky

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for posting your review regarding your stay at Meluha The Fern, Mumbai.

We are glad to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us and appreciated the excellent services rendered by our staff. Your comments are most gratifying and have been shared with the entire team.

Your feedback regarding the change in menu required has been conveyed to the chef and will be taken into account during the next review of the menu. However on your next visit our chef will be delighted to customize your meals as per your palette for a pleasurable experience.

We have noted down your comments about the Cesky restaurant and have made another price option available. With regard to the Cesky menu, you will agree that food is a matter of personal taste. And a good number of our guests have appreciated the modern European cuisine. I would also like to mention that the menu at the fine dining restaurant is a weekly customized menu.

We truly look forward to welcome you back to Meluha The Fern, Mumbai during your next visit to the city.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

One would think that you would expect a certain hospitality by staff of a 5 star hotel, good food in the hotel buffet, clean toilets - but surprise surprise!!

- We had a business meeting on the 6th floor of the hotel. The hotel staff was either inexperienced in handling business meeting or just plain irresponsible.
- The room was noisy and there are NO RESTROOMS on the same floor. One has to go to the terrace to use one. And they were not cleaned properly and out of toilet paper on at least 2 occasions in 3 days.
- We requested the attending staff for a Nokia charger. We were told that there is none available. The attendant was further pressed to "arrange" one. And it was somehow "arranged". After that, the attendant literally came to us every 20 mins, in the middle of the meeting, asking for the charger to be returned.
- The food. I don't want to get started on that. It was oily, cold and bad.
- We were supposed to be served the appetisers on our table. After ordering and 3 reminders from a starving group of people, we were served appetisers( cold, of course) after 12-15 mins. Same for serving of bread.

How this hotel is a 5 Star is beyond me.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ProsperousKing
Fernhotels, Executive Assistant Manager at Meluha The Fern - An Ecotel Hotel, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for posting your review regarding your visit at Meluha The Fern , Mumbai
We are disappointed that you faced inconvenience during your visit to our hotel for your business meeting. We would like to assure you that this is not our usual standard of service.

We have noted your concerns and have discussed them with the team members and corrective action has been taken to avoid future recurrence.

We sincerely apologize and hope that you will give us another chance to showcase our high levels of service and we look forward to welcome you to Meluha The Fern, Mumbai in the near future.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights in July and to my surprise Hotel charged me more then the agreed room tariff for 1 Night and this I had noticed when I landed back in Bangalore. To get this extra amount refunded from the Hotel it took me around 3 wks and when I have called the hotel to get this complain registered and I was willing to speak to hotel GM on this and when I requested the receptionist to connect me to the GM she connected me to her secretary and the secretary refused to share the number of the GM - She told me GM’s number can not be shared and GM will not handle this . I was asked to speak to the front desk on this. Totally ridiculous ( I was given to understand that GM is bigger then the the president of US. Lol )
In fact I found the food also very expensive – My mean its not a value for money. In fact a 3 Start hotel in the same area called “BEATEL “ is much better as far as room tariff is concerned and the food quality , variety and choice is concerned – I will say BEATEL is a much better bet.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Fernhotels, Executive Assistant Manager at Meluha The Fern - An Ecotel Hotel, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to post the review about your experiences at Meluha The Fern Hotel, Mumbai.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience you experienced due to the overcharge.We sincerely apologize for the same. We recognize that our communication on this matter should have been better and could have expedited in refunding the excess amount charged to you.

Your feedback on value for money for food and room tariff will be considered and reviewed.
Please give us an opportunity to recover your confidence in us during your next visit to Meluha The Fern, Powai.

We assure you of our best services and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Meluha The Fern, Mumbai.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The only good hotel in Powai, the place i relatively new and is very well kept. Food is good and service is warm/friendly. They have significant issues with TV converage dropping frequently, and for some reason the internet refused to work and I had to make a 15 minute phone call to their american service provider every single day, just to get it to work - not fun!

Good choice for a business visit - hopefully you wont need the internet too much :-)

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

While we are happy to note that you appreciate our food and service,We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay due to the shortfall in internet services and corrective measures are being taken to improve on the same.

The team and I assure you of our best services and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed on a business trip. The rooms are spacious and clean. The tv is big with enough channels. Breakfast is ok. Food wise there are better choices around the hotel so I did not eat much at hotel.

Overall a nice and comfortable city hotel and great if your work place is in Powai.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Fernhotels, Executive Assistant Manager at Meluha The Fern - An Ecotel Hotel, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

We are glad to note that you had a wonderful experience with us. Your kind words of appreciation have been conveyed to our team, for whom it will be a tremendous source of inspiration.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 2, 2012

OK, so not a good start, as the airport taxi didn't turned up as I'd ordered it via Email with an address the hotel sent me that turned out to be an incorrect one. Hot, bothered and late for my day, whereas the desk clerk was cool, calm and not bothered at all!

That said, a nice clean city hotel, fairly typical, though pricey. My room, a twin, is very small for this class of hotel but well-furnished. Good size (42") TV, good choice of channels etc means that I have plenty to watch in my room when I can't afford the prices in the bar.

Overall, though, well accessible, being right in the heart of the Powai area, and inside too, floors are well-served with elevators. This advertises itself as an Eco-hotel (which is very laudable indeed). Lots of paper leaflets in and out of room advertise this (ah, the irony!), though elsewhere, the same wasteful practices of miniature shower and shampoo pots and the like pervade. I did see and use a cardboard sign to ask the room staff not to change my bedclothes this morning, but nothing similar in the bathroom to let them know I'd be happy to reuse towels.

In all, unremarkable but a clean hotel in a good location.

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for your valuable feedback,We apologize for the delay in receiving you at the airport due to the wrong email address, which we have rectified on our website.

We understand how disappointing it can be when basic expectations are not met and we assure you that the shortcomings experienced by you are not reflective of our normal guest service standards.

Please give us an opportunity to recover your confidence in us during your next visit to Mumbai; we assure you of our best services and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours Sincerely