“Great Restaurant once upon a time...”

Great Punjab Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #596 of 14,797 Restaurants in Mumbai
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Established in 1959 by Trilok Singh Gandhi and his brothers, The Great Punjab is one of the oldest restaurants in Mumbai. Mr. T.S. Gandhi is a pioneer in the hospitality business and was on the executive committee of the Federation of Hotel and Resaturant (FHRI), member of National Restaurant Association of India (NRAI) and the Maharashtra Association of Hotel and Restaurant.The restaurant has been boasting visits from the film fraternity and the political circles alike. Known for its succulent kebabs, 'pilli' dal and for its homely feel the restaurant was a popular destination for all.T.S. Gandhi's two sons have continued with the family business. The foremost Great Punjab in Dadar, managed by Manninder Singh Gandhi (the elder son), continues to serve some of the old delicacies but keeping with the times has added a host of dishes like the pepper chicken to its delectable menu.The younger of the brothers, Arvinder Singh Gandhi, has started another restaurant under the same name in Powai targeting the younger crowd working in the city's upcoming corporate hub.The baton will soon pass to Dhruveer, son of Manninder Singh Gandhi. Having successfully completed his Hospitality Management studies in Switzerland, he is pursuing his studies in the acclaimed International College of Hotel Management in Australia. Carrying forward the family legacy and his grandfather's wishes, Dhruveer wants to open additional outlets of the restaurant that keep up with the ever changing palates of the Mumbaikars!
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I went to this restaurant after a long gap. I had always loved this hotel for the taste and quick service. This time it disappointed me on both fronts. The dish (vegetable lahori or something) ordered was tasteless and gravy very thin. It flowed on the plate. The waiters were mindless of the guests and we had to request for additional rotis, water etc. The waiters did not have any smile on their faces and did their job mechanically, which appeared rude...
If this famous restaurant has to maintain its name, it has to improve on taste and service.

dhruveergandhi, Owner at Great Punjab Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Mr. Ashok,
well firstly thank you for the feedback, as i understand from your review you have been dining with us over the years, therefore you would know this is not the kind of service or food quality we associate ourselves with. I would definitely look into this matter and once again i appreciate your feedback. We hope to have you dine with us soon and would request you to kindly ask for me at the entrance when you do visit us the next time.

Best regards,

Dhruveer Singh Gandhi

Reviewed June 15, 2013

The first rains of 2013 and Mumbai was shut, us friends decided to meet for drinks and food.
The service was lousy and the cleanliness was much needed..
Though the food was good and we had a good time

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I went there with a group of 40 people. They served us buffet. Great food. Most of us are from Germany, so they didn't make the food very spicy. I like the fish most.

Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I visited this restaurant with a group of friends last month and was pleasantly surprised by the amazing food on offer. I came across some dishes that I have never heard of such as the vegetable gol gappas and the bullet naan/roti. Not only were these dishes refreshingly new but very delicious too!

I also recommend the chicken green chilli and the kali daal. Shall definitely visit again to try the much raved about dum biryani and butter chicken :)

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Very good restaurant with wide variety of food choices. The food quality is great. Ambience can be better, however, good enough. The prices are a bit expensive. However, the service level was not so good. 15 minutes after giving order for a particular dish, we were told that it is not available and alternate choice needs to be made. Rest of all was good.

dhruveergandhi, Owner at Great Punjab Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear RoyRaj,
I appologise for the inconvenience caused, and will definitely look into the service aspect and thanks for the feedback. I shall ensure next time you visit us the service shall be up to the mark.

with regards to the pricing, Our pricing is at par with our Category of Restaurants we don't believe in over pricing. Actually the cost of all the raw materials have gone up considerably in the last 2 years, maybe that's why you might feel this way. However i shall take a look at the same as well.

Thanks again for the feedback and I'm glad you like our food, looking forward to serve you soon.

Regards,