“Elaborate spread, pleasant staff and good view”
Review of Lake View Cafe

Lake View Cafe
Ranked #10 of 14,797 Restaurants in Mumbai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on the side of the serene Powai Lake, with a view of the Hiranandani skyline... Lake View Café presents an enviable culinary theatre featuring an extensive Asian and Indian selection with the experience accentuated by the warm and engaging ambassadors, delivering a memorable experience each time. - Currently the restaurant is under refurbishment till March 2018. Fratelli Fresh will be operational as our all day dining during the refurbishment period.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went to have lunch at the restaurant on a hot summer afternoon (Yes,,April is summer in Mumbai..) However, the ambience was very quiet and cool. The view of the lake soothes the eyes and the spread gives it the right amount of delight. The restaurant was thoughtful to keep two drums of buttermilk (sweet & Sour) for those who seek respite from the heat. There was also an authentic bowl of curd rice in typical south indian style. The soups, salads, main courses were elaborate and decent. Moreover, there was at least 4 types of cheese with crackers for those who would want to pair it with their wines.All in all, a good place to go.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Please go to this place after taking a 50% discount voucher from Snapdeal.com else it gets very expensive...with discount it comes upto Rs 800 per person...The food and ambience are definitely worth it...

Been here many times...I come here to enjoy the Lake view..Its specially more scenic during the monsoons.....The lake looks gorgeous and so do the surrounding marshes...Try to get a table at one of the windows overlooking the lake...Its simply overwhelming..If you sit right near the buffet, then you are surely missing the view...

The buffet lunch spread has loads of variety from Indian & Oriental to Mediterranean...There are around 5-6 Live stations for Pasta and oriental cuisine...

I particularly remember having one of the best bhature in this restaurant...it was at one of the Live stations..Bhature with red chillies on it....Mind boggling...Flush it down with a large glass of Buttermilk/ Mango Lassi....creates a Fire on ice effect....

They don't have too many veg/ NV starters but the main course variety makes up for that part..

Reviewed March 30, 2013

To begin with, my review is mainly biased by the expectations that I have at the price point that they charge. I was here for dinner on a Wednesday night to celebrate my wedding anniversary, after a fun filled day of visiting my childhood memories from Mumbai.
Unless you are a corporate guest w/ coupons (which they expect you to be), you are going to be shelling out in the vicinity of $35-50 per head (the variance is w/ drinks). I think this price authorizes me to have moderately decent expectations. Here's what ticks me off:

1. The hostess - She asked if we had vouchers. I said no. She seemed lost at that. May be that should have been my hint - as if saying to me - oh, you mean you are going to pay full price for what is inside?
Then do we have reservations? - Call me a commitment-phobe...The family kept debating between 3 options till the very last minute. So no reservations. We were asked to wait. Fair enough (no complaints here). After about a 10 min. wait, we were guided to our table.
A plus point to her was she did ask, if this was our first time there and when we answered in the positive, she did take us around and do a epidermal tour of the buffet, simply pointing out some stuff from a distance. The problem w/ customer service in the places I visit in India is that it is very very text-bookish. It is like they are following a protocol to the T and not doing it out of their genuine understanding on making the guests feel welcome. This may change w/ time and is not specific to the current review.
2. The food - I would have rated this place in the negative if not for the decent salad bar and the better than average desserts!
The appetizer stations were a joke -
Pav Bhaji that was totally forgettable.
Appams - i love those sombrero hat shaped rice creations with crispy edges...what they served was called an Appam and looked like a Neer Dosa!! Totally unacceptable.
The pasta station looked sorry and kind of empty - like 4-5 pieces of mushroom and red peppers. Why no proteins in this section was beyond me. Some shrimp w/ pasta would have been decent!
The non-veg appetizers were served on table. They only had 2 varieties - Sweet n Sour chicken and Tikkas - again chicken. For half the price, BBQ nation serves fish, prawns, chicken, mutton, crabs....need i say more here?
They had a huge farsan table - dint find much innovation here - and there was little to no value for me. Besides deep fried stuff like samosas is a strict no-no @ buffets for me. They fill you too fast and you lose appetite for the remaining stuff!
3. The atmosphere - Yup grand entrance - multiple security checkpoints (makes you feel like you are at an airport!!) and the view of the lake! Nice so far, but take a closer look. For obvious reasons, the seats by the glass overlooking the water are too close. I can hear what the next table says and even brilliant, I can feel the push and shove when they get up to get seconds (its a buffet after all). And then, there have another buffet going on underneath. An all-you-can-drink blood melee under the table for you guessed it "mosquitoes".

I will close w/ the positives:
1. The salad bar - has some really great innovation - e.g. the tandoor masala type pears. Loved those. Wish the entire farsan table would have been sacrificed and replaced w/ more such delights.
2. The desserts - I did skip a large part of the mains and focussed energies here - the kulfi w/ falooda (the sev not the liquids), the mousse, the peach cake and the n others that i had and now cant even remember, except that this and the salad bar earned them a point each from me and it stopped from being a complete failure.
3. Or may be this should have been the first +ve - The Paantini - a clever twist of a martini that uses the components of a Paan - you have the gulkand (rose preserve), saunf (fennel), coconut shreds and the betel leaf added to the classic martini elements. Brilliant I say! This would be my primary reason for return! But then you would probably find me at the bar and not this restaurant.

So not all bad, but for the money spent, some expectations were bellied.

2  Thank Travel_Bug_Neo
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Was there with my company friend in group of 6 in dinner there is soo muuch to eat 6live counters and good vegetraain options and to add is chat counter also

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This restaurant is one of the best place in Mumbai with a lake view were u will find a peace to your mind wen watching it. And the food here is been served here r awesome it also has a high level of service with a excellent staff with a friendly atmosphere...