“very good hotel for overnight stay”
Review of Anjali Inn

Anjali Inn
Ranked #189 of 401 Mumbai (Bombay) B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 12, 2013

A good hotel to stay near airport. ...good staff...very clean and nicely maintained. ..only issue observed is very small room. .with no outside windows. ....good for overnight stay. ..easily accessible to main road for transport. ...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Anjali Inn

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

The hostel is not far from the airport, and has nice rooms. We have been really well received and the owners were so helpful and friendly. Definitely a place we would recommand for backpackers looking for a nice & friendly budget guesthouse in Mumbai!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

There are two Anjali inns in the same area these reviews are a mix of both of them. We stayed in one near time square. A tuc tuc driver took us to the other one by accident and it looked nice. Our one was over priced. The room had ac but had no windows and was small. It was clean to an India standard but not amazing. The shower only worked if you hadn't flushed the toilet all day which is poor. Compared with the rest of India where we have paid much less the room was poor. They picked us up at the airport and dropped us off again no problems. Both were late at night. Staff we're lovely and very efficient. We ordered a meal to our room which arrived promptly and was delicious!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nattypalmer
Reviewed September 12, 2013

When I first arrived I was unsure about this place as I arrived late at night and the hostel is very tucked away in random back streets, and when I entered the hostel there were people sleeping on the couch in the living room, so I think it was overbooked. Thankfully I had a bunk bed. The showers were adequate, though cold water when I was there. The rooms were tidy. The people running the place were very helpful and the breakfasts were very cheap (virtually nothing). Great ambience and lots of other solo backpackers. I had airport pick up which was great and reliable - there were there waiting with my name when I arrived. Overall a great stay, and although its a bit out of the centre, the tuk tuks are so cheap as are there trains (we're talking pennies), so it's not an inconvenience at all. Will stay here on my next trip to Mumbai :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Simone T
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here recently for one night only.

We had free airport pick up, which was still waiting for us when we got out of the airport 1.5 hours later than expected.

Check in and check out were fine at 2am and 6am respectively, somebody awake waiting for us and so was the taxi we had asked for in the morning.

The room was basic but as we were staying for a few hours we just showered and slept (although the shower in our room was cold and little more than a trickle).

The taxi which they organised quoted us a price to go to the train station and then charged us a different price when we arrived at the station. Couldn't be bothered arguing with him so we gave in but just a warning!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I really hate reading bad reviews that have been exaggerated so I will try to keep this as factual as possible.

I was arriving in Mumbai at 2am and had an outgoing flight the same night at 11pm. As I was only in transit and did not need to stay the night, I arranged via email to stay at Anjali Inn, to pay for 1 night only, and to check in whenever I arrived (likely around 3-4am) and check out that same day, likely around 9pm. They arranged their "free airport transfer" to pick me up after my flight landed at 2am. This was all confirmed over email.

As I arrived in Mumbai airport I had some trouble with my visa (my passport allows issue of visa on arrival). The airport didn't have many staff on when I arrived at 2am, so my processing took a little longer than usual. I was stuck in immigration for maybe 1.5 hours.

When I finally exited the airport, I didn't expect the driver to still be there. I was right, he wasn't. An airport staff member asked me who I was waiting for, I said Anjali Inn. He called them for me and gave me the phone. Here's the conversation, verbatim, as far as I remember (this just happened a few hours ago).

Them: Hello, Anjali Inn
Me: Yes this is Brendan, sorry I've been stuck in immigration, I'm finally out now though. Can you send a car please?
Them: *change to angry voice* No, he was waiting for 2 hours. Catch a taxi yourself. Your check in time is now 12 o clock.
Me: We already agreed that I can check in when I arrive. Can you send a car please?
Them: No, we've changed your check in to 12 o clock. You need to catch a taxi.
Me: You said my room includes airport transfer.
Them: We were waiting for you for 2 hours. You have to catch a taxi now.
Me: I'm sorry, it wasn't my fault, there was an issue with my visa.
Them: Well you can catch a taxi yourself.
*silence, thinking for a moment what to do*
Me: OK, I won't be coming. Thank you.
Them: (starts screaming at me). Whaat? Whaaaat?
Me: I won't be coming. Thanks. (hang up).

I have absolutely no problem with the driver leaving after waiting 2 hours, or even after 1 hour, or even half an hour. But if I call and let them know I'm finally out of the airport, I would expect them to send a driver. I surely didn't expect a reaction like the one I got. Surely if there is one place in the world where you should be prepared for an unexpected delay, it is an airport. What if my baggage had been lost? Or there was a backlog at customs? Surely, a hostel should understand this. Not to mention, Anjali is a 5 minute drive from the airport. About a month ago I had a similar delay in Ethiopia and my guesthouse had no issue at all sending a car back. In fact, when they arrived they seemed to have been genuinely concerned something had happened to me.

After standing there with the airport staff having a laugh, they helped me find an actual hotel near the airport for a similar rate (only $12 or so more). Free transport, and no issue to check in at 4am and leave at 9pm. They also didn't seem to think much of Anjali Inn. "Anjali Inn is very small rooms, for just a little more you can get a real hotel room!" I also suspect he was getting a kickback from the hotel he sent me to, but the rate was good (around $35) and lower than the rack rate which was about $50.

I am now reasonably well traveled and was comfortable enough at night in a foreign country to deal with this situation. Had this happened to me 3 or 4 years ago, I'd have been stuck in Mumbai with no transport and no hotel at 4am in the morning. An opportunist's dream.

I cannot recommend Anjali Inn. There are many other transit options to choose from.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank masenko7
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stay at Anjali back in November. It was my first port of call when arriving in India. I have to say that getting off the plane and arriving in Mumbai alone, was terrifying, but the staff picked me up from the airport (for free) at around 5/6am. I was a little nervous when i got into their van and they just drove off into the middle of what looked like a residential area (mainly the culture shock) but once entering anjali inn I found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful, even though it was very early in the morning. They showed me to my room (girls dorm) and let me sleep. the next morning the owner ( i think) advised me of places to visit, telling me that a politician was very ill in hospital and that it might not be safe to go too far away as there may have been a strike and I would find it difficult to get back. He mentioned a very eautiful temple near by that was worth a visit, and introduced me to another guest that was staying there that was also going to visit this temple.
All in all I found the stay here really pleasant and all the staff very friendly and helpful. The common area is very welcoming and everyone talks to each other and got along. I met lots of nice people that i travelled further with into Rajasthan and even met up with others later in my trip further north. I would definitely stay here again should i fly into mumbai in the future.

Room Tip: Great for airport pick up/drop off. a bit far away from the tourist areas of mumbai, but a nice star...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo