“Unreliable, cannot recommend”
Review of Anjali Inn

Anjali Inn
Ranked #184 of 418 Mumbai B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I really hate reading bad reviews that have been exaggerated so I will try to keep this as factual as possible.

I was arriving in Mumbai at 2am and had an outgoing flight the same night at 11pm. As I was only in transit and did not need to stay the night, I arranged via email to stay at Anjali Inn, to pay for 1 night only, and to check in whenever I arrived (likely around 3-4am) and check out that same day, likely around 9pm. They arranged their "free airport transfer" to pick me up after my flight landed at 2am. This was all confirmed over email.

As I arrived in Mumbai airport I had some trouble with my visa (my passport allows issue of visa on arrival). The airport didn't have many staff on when I arrived at 2am, so my processing took a little longer than usual. I was stuck in immigration for maybe 1.5 hours.

When I finally exited the airport, I didn't expect the driver to still be there. I was right, he wasn't. An airport staff member asked me who I was waiting for, I said Anjali Inn. He called them for me and gave me the phone. Here's the conversation, verbatim, as far as I remember (this just happened a few hours ago).

Them: Hello, Anjali Inn
Me: Yes this is Brendan, sorry I've been stuck in immigration, I'm finally out now though. Can you send a car please?
Them: *change to angry voice* No, he was waiting for 2 hours. Catch a taxi yourself. Your check in time is now 12 o clock.
Me: We already agreed that I can check in when I arrive. Can you send a car please?
Them: No, we've changed your check in to 12 o clock. You need to catch a taxi.
Me: You said my room includes airport transfer.
Them: We were waiting for you for 2 hours. You have to catch a taxi now.
Me: I'm sorry, it wasn't my fault, there was an issue with my visa.
Them: Well you can catch a taxi yourself.
*silence, thinking for a moment what to do*
Me: OK, I won't be coming. Thank you.
Them: (starts screaming at me). Whaat? Whaaaat?
Me: I won't be coming. Thanks. (hang up).

I have absolutely no problem with the driver leaving after waiting 2 hours, or even after 1 hour, or even half an hour. But if I call and let them know I'm finally out of the airport, I would expect them to send a driver. I surely didn't expect a reaction like the one I got. Surely if there is one place in the world where you should be prepared for an unexpected delay, it is an airport. What if my baggage had been lost? Or there was a backlog at customs? Surely, a hostel should understand this. Not to mention, Anjali is a 5 minute drive from the airport. About a month ago I had a similar delay in Ethiopia and my guesthouse had no issue at all sending a car back. In fact, when they arrived they seemed to have been genuinely concerned something had happened to me.

After standing there with the airport staff having a laugh, they helped me find an actual hotel near the airport for a similar rate (only $12 or so more). Free transport, and no issue to check in at 4am and leave at 9pm. They also didn't seem to think much of Anjali Inn. "Anjali Inn is very small rooms, for just a little more you can get a real hotel room!" I also suspect he was getting a kickback from the hotel he sent me to, but the rate was good (around $35) and lower than the rack rate which was about $50.

I am now reasonably well traveled and was comfortable enough at night in a foreign country to deal with this situation. Had this happened to me 3 or 4 years ago, I'd have been stuck in Mumbai with no transport and no hotel at 4am in the morning. An opportunist's dream.

I cannot recommend Anjali Inn. There are many other transit options to choose from.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank masenko7

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stay at Anjali back in November. It was my first port of call when arriving in India. I have to say that getting off the plane and arriving in Mumbai alone, was terrifying, but the staff picked me up from the airport (for free) at around 5/6am. I was a little nervous when i got into their van and they just drove off into the middle of what looked like a residential area (mainly the culture shock) but once entering anjali inn I found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful, even though it was very early in the morning. They showed me to my room (girls dorm) and let me sleep. the next morning the owner ( i think) advised me of places to visit, telling me that a politician was very ill in hospital and that it might not be safe to go too far away as there may have been a strike and I would find it difficult to get back. He mentioned a very eautiful temple near by that was worth a visit, and introduced me to another guest that was staying there that was also going to visit this temple.
All in all I found the stay here really pleasant and all the staff very friendly and helpful. The common area is very welcoming and everyone talks to each other and got along. I met lots of nice people that i travelled further with into Rajasthan and even met up with others later in my trip further north. I would definitely stay here again should i fly into mumbai in the future.

Room Tip: Great for airport pick up/drop off. a bit far away from the tourist areas of mumbai, but a nice star...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jadesheridan25
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The best thing about Anjali Inn is that it is located very close to the airport and that pick-up (free!) and drop-off and working pretty well with the staff despite the fact that our flight was one hour late.

Hotel was a little strange. The whole place was more like an apartment with a common dining/living area and some rooms for the guests. Maybe they brought us to a different location as booked as the origin Anjali was maybe full. We didn’t care as we just had to kill 8 hours for our flight back home. Be prepared to find the typical lonely planet-backpacker-people around you.
Room was ok, a little bit dirty and with the hardest bed I have ever slept on. Bathroom/shower was working fine and also Wifi was good.

Staff was great and helpful with a cheap recommendation what to order for dinner from a near take-away-Chinese-delivery-Service

All in all it was a cheap option to get some hours of sleep but for a normal Mumbai stay I would definitely NOT recommend this place!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suparichi
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was our first experience on an Indian hotel. We were picked up for FREE from the airport, even though we were delayed and the driver had to wait for over an hour. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was delicious. The room was basic and not that clean, but the air con was great. Good value for money and a good place to stay if you arrive late in Mumbai. Location spot so good as its so far out, but it's a good stopover.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I paid somewhere between Rs. 1000 - 1200 for a one-night stay here. Since then the value of the rupee has gone down so it is possible that the price has gone up a bit.The room I was given had bed for two, although I was the only occupant.

The outside looks like trash - and that's because it is in a trashy place. Note: It did not feel dangerous however and there are places both Indian and Western to eat nearby. There's not much to do around the area, although it is close to the airport which is nice considering the traffic situation in Mumbai.

Inside it is more than adequate. I've paid double the price in Mumbai for rooms far worse than the one I was given.

The bed sheets seemed to be clean, bathroom as well. Obviously it's not spotless but there did not seem to be any mold, insects, dirt, etc. A western style toilet in the bathroom as well.

There was also warm water in the shower which is impressive by Indian budget accommodation standards.

The manager/owner was friendly and spoke good, clear English. I cannot recall his name but he is useful if you need to organize a trip, find a place to eat, etc.

There is room service and the price is reasonable. Plates/utensils/glasses were all clean.

I've stayed in numerous budget accommodations across India, and this is one of the few that I would actually return to. My rating is based on value for the price. This is not the Taj Hotel or Oberoi Sheraton. It is a good, clean, place for a very fair price.

Note: It's difficult to find. Keep their contact number handy and they can direct you to the hotel. It's quite possible your rickshaw/taxi driver won't know where it is.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The staff here was beyond helpful, helping me book tours, ordering food, helping me change rooms when I needed to, picking me up from the airport, and helping me with bus tickets. They are all super friendly and great to talk to. Though it's far from the main parts of the city, its definitely a good place to stay and relax while jetlagged before you start traveling.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at Anjalii in for two nights, the room had all the amenities one needs - bed and shower. We did not have a window, so airing out was a challenge, especially since the room was right behind the kitchen. The free airport service is a major plus point for budget travellers, internet was also included in the price. If you're not planning on being in the room, or using it as a short transit hotel it is recommendable, but don't expect much comfort.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends