“A great way to experience Mumbai”

Reality Tours and Travel - Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$12.75*
and up
Dharavi Slum Small-Group Tour in Mumbai
Ranked #1 of 97 Tours in Mumbai (Bombay)
More attraction details
Owner description: Reality Tours and Travel is a responsible tour operator providing fun and authentic experiences around India. We invest 80% of our profits back into the communities we visit through our NGO Reality Gives. We are especially well known for our educational Dharavi Slum Tour that shows visitors the industrial and residential areas of one of Asia’s largest slums, located in the heart of Mumbai. We also offer city, village, multi-day and customized tours and we recently expanded to New Delhi and the Sanjay Colony Slum. Our tours educate visitors about the issues as well as opportunities in slums and hopes to encourage them to understand underprivileged communities better. We use 80% of the tour profits and 100% of merchandise profits to fund our sister-NGO Reality Gives that runs and supports a variety of programs in Dharavi and Sanjay Colony. Our goal is to provide authentic and though-provoking local experiences through our tours and to use the profits to create change in our communities. Our vision is a world where all tourism promotes cross-cultural understanding and local development. Our NGO, Reality Gives, provides young people in the local community with high quality education and experiences to help them maximize their potential. We do this by focusing on English, Computer and Life Skills classes as well as a series of activities and workshop in expressive art and sport. We run these program out of three community centres around Dharavi.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A great way to experience Mumbai”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was a great tour! Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. They provide a great insight into the slum. The people and the environment was incredibly friendly and not intimidating, but truly gives you a life changing perspective. Would highly recommend!!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank meghan_gleason

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“it was an amazing experience which everyone must have it!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

i'm really glad i found this tour through the lonely planet book n trip advisor.this tour actually make me opened my eyes,that slums is not what i think before.people here are so hardworkingggg.they're really nice and they cleaned up themselves well! we just take the short tour because we just have less time.but,we get so many information! we are actually malaysian students,who currently studying in bangalore.we met several slums in bangalore,but dharavi definitely different! i would strongly suggest everyone to at least experience this tour! our tour guide,balaji,actually lived in the slum,so we got much more details explaination from him,and it is totally great! hopefully,in future,if god wills,i would like to have the long tour.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank uniq90
Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Humbling Experience”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

It is hard to put into words...I guess I am grateful to have the opportunity to visit and learn more about the Mumbai slum life first hand. People here live in a tough environment (especially in terms of healthcare and sanitation) but made the best out of it with their business and cottage industries. It really opened up my eyes to a different. The residents are warm and happy people and the guide did a great job in helping us understand the everyday lives of the slum people.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank thiakx
Gold Coast, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Loved Mumbai's markets!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I did a market tour with Suraj earlier this year and it was easily one of the highlights of my trip to India. Mumbai's markets can be a little intimidating to the uninitiated, but Suraj made it so much fun and was really knowledgable (and hilarious!). We got to smell the amazing array of Indian spices in the spice markets, view the beautiful bouquets and incredible artistry of some of the flower sellers in the flower markets, and get a first hand experience of a true Mumbai market. The best part though was the cow shelter; they really are the sweetest animals. Thanks again to Suraj. He was a great guide and I'd definitely recommend going on a tour with him!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank MsAinslie R
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dharavi Long Tour”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

When in Mumbai I highly recommend taking in the Dharavi Long Tour With Reality Tours. I was travelling with my cousin and a friend of hers told us that we should do this tour. I'm glad the friend made the recommendation as I was initially skeptical that a tour of this kind might be exploitive to the inhabitants of the slum.
I could not have been more wrong. Part of the fee goes towards improving the conditions within the slum. Our wonderful guide, Suraj (try and get him if you can) was well versed in the dynamics of the slum. He is also known to and respected by the locals. Suraj took myself and my cousin all over and shared his vast knowledge on the history of the slum and how it functions in it's present state.
On the Long tour we also got to take in Dhobi Ghat and the red light district. All in all, this was a fascinating insight to an amazing piece of Mumbai. A side to Mumbai that not everybody get's to see or experience.
Take the tour, you won't regret, plus you'll be helping Reality Tours help people who live there, especially with regards to education.
Oh and ask for Suraj, he was excellent!

Visited August 2012