“Good location and polite staff”

Hotel Suba International
Ranked #40 of 486 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed there for two nights on our return from a foreign trip, before catching a domestic flight home. The hotel is strategically located close enough to both international and domestic airports.

The welcome was warm and polite. They upgraded us to a suite room for free on their own. Room was large and clean. Bath was clean and reasonably spacious.

Every appliance in the room is controlled by an ipod, which was an interesting experience.

Airport transfers were complimentary.

Breakfast was complimentary but had an oily feel to it. The lunch buffet was tasty but lacked the variety for the the price (Rs 500). Also, there was a conference going on downstairs and during the lunch break a crowd poured in to the small restaurant and two of them even sat down on our private table.

Overall, this hotel is recommended for a short transit stay and for its closeness to both airports.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I arrived at Hotel Suba international for a 2 day stay with my family before my flight to Dubai.. I've been all around the world and I won't lie, I've never come across such value for money.. A very tastefully made hotel with brilliant amenities especially the iPod in the rooms which allows you to control basically every part of the room.. The staff is a bit towards the dumber side, that could be an area of improvement.. Otherwise the hotel is an absolute YES from my end!

Oh and PS: the foods awesome too!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank AnindoK
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Frankly when I checked in I never expected much.
It was just another usual stop over between my domestic and international flights at odd hours just to catch some sleep and get freshn' up. Even the name 'Suba' didn't sound too impressive either. The entry was in a mess with a number of vehicles parked obstructing the main entrance. Well, that's what you should expect while checking in in a hotel of this standard, I said to myself. But, everything changes when you are in. The checking in took just a few minutes and I was escorted to a very clean and modern looking room. But what I really never expected was to get an iTouch on the bedside table to operate the LCD TV on the wall , control the airconditioner...and the room lights and listen to music and watch movies and browse internet, and order food and check the bill and that's not all even check whose at the door and without moving an inch from the bed...open the door....all these with an all in one touch remote! Suba International rocks. The service was prompt and the staffs appeared to be properly groomed. At the time of checking out their efficiency was tasted when I wanted to get my e-ticket printed. I forwarded the document from my mobile phone to the hotel mail id and got the printout within minutes and that too at 4 am in the morning!
The driver took a prolonged booting time...but I was not in a mood to complain then!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank drlahiri
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Amazing to see the infrastructure of this hotel - fully equipped to hold several conferences and seminars. the food also was very much appreciated by all attendees.
Keep it up ....thats v important.
Cheers.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank DineshXylo
Reviewed July 20, 2011

It's a good idea to confirm your pick-up from the airport, especially if you are arriving at odd hours as I did. I had the tourism kiosk at the airport make a call to the hotel as no one had arrived to pick me up at 4am. The cost of the room included transport to and from the airport, no matter what the time, which I found is pretty important. Once that was settled, I had to wait in the lobby for a bit while my room was readied although it was about 5.am. and had been booked for previous night. My room was clean, well appointed with a work space, flat screen tv, mini-fridge and snacks at reasonable prices. You can access the internet using the tv, just ask for a password, though I found it difficult to control the cursor with the iPhone. I used it to check in online for my next flight & that was a huge help. Complimentary bottles of water were also included.The bedding was comfortable and the a/c was adequate. I was pleased that I heard no road noise from the room or even noise from the construction site next door.
Management went out of the way to help me to exchange money the following day. A staff member was sent with me to assist, hailing a motor rickshaw & taking me to an exchange shop. Staff will also give you an idea of how much a rickshaw transport might cost to certain destinations. The driveway entry to the hotel is secured with a gate and security in attendance. I was disappointed that the security guard insisted on a tip from me after hailing a rickshaw for me; I was giving him one anyway, he didn't need to ask for it. I was returned to the airport through a local taxi that the hotel provided rather than the hotel shuttle but I was fine with that.
I had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant and found it to be very good. Plenty of local cuisine to try & the buffet was a good choice for dinner. The prices were quite reasonable for a hotel, I thought.
If ever in the area again, I would certainly stay here.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank julieOO
Reviewed July 12, 2011

A very good hotel in a down-market/shanti area of Mumbai. A long taxi ride to everywhere except the airport. However, very well run with good quality room (except the silly shower area which floods the bathroom because of the design).
Restaurant/cafe serves up a good but average fare and the breakfast is OK too, catering to Indian and European tastes.
Free internet access is useful. No bar due to Muslim ownership but there is a bar along the road and a booze shop a hundred yards away. Room service will bring you free ice if required. Very nice if on a budget. The travel desk is good and will compromise on prices if you are willing to haggle.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back - the road at front is very busy.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Lulusmum
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I recently stayed as I had an overnight (20hrs) stay in Mumbai prior to my flight back to Australia. I chose the hotel based on other reviews, and the price was about right. The internet price I obtained was 4000rupees. This included airport pick up and drop off, as well as free wifi in the room. Total cost on check out was A$117 which included room, dinner, snacks, and tax.

Pick up: Pick up was prompt. My Kingfisher flight was running late, and the driver was ready with the placard with my name on it. He wouldn’t let me take my own bags, and we proceeded to the van, which was very comfortable. The hotel is only about 5-6 minutes to the airport, and that was just what I needed after a flight. Upon arrival at the hotel, what I noticed was the “western” nature of the décor.

Lobby: There was copious glass (clean! – unusual for india) and a porter at the door, who opened my door, and took my bags for me. At the check in counter, I was immediately greeted with friendly smiles, and I handed them my passport. They must have been waiting for me, as they produced my paperwork before my passport hit their hands! They asked me what time my flight was, and organised the pick up transfer etc for me. They even asked me if I would like a wake up call. Impressive. I was in room 302. Checkout was fine. No problems here, and the drive back was equally as quick and efficient.

Room: The porter ran through the awesome ipod touch remote control which does everything in the room (lights, A/C, TV, movies) – it is really very cool. I was impressed! You can even use the ipod to see who is at the door when the doorbell rings. The room is good size for 1 person and associated luggage. It is smaller than a standard Australian hotel room, but this was actually nicer than places like the Marriott Melbourne, and I would say, despite some small attention to detail flaws like some marks on the walls, and the standard ugly, but strangely interesting and capitivating view from the window, I would say that this room was on par with places like the westin in Melbourne. OK, maybe I’ve been in India too long, but its still very nice – even by Australian standards of 5 star hotels. The bed is a king sized bed, but has a major drawback – it is 2 singles stuck together – something I really hate sleeping in! But the pillows etc are comfy enough. The rest of the room is clean (SO happy to see no dirty things everywhere for a bit of a change) and there are standard amenities – coffee/tea making, Bar fridge, snacks etc. Water is comp’d and so is coffee/tea. Its all modern – I like it a lot.

Bathroom: Standard – great sized bathroom for India – and everything once again clean. Absolutely nothing to complain about here. I loved it, especially after spending time without regular hot water for the last month. It was a BEAUTIFUL change. They provide everything, soaps etc, but no toothbrush – like most places these days.

Restaurant:
The restaurant was mostly deserted when I went down at around 1845h. There was only a few people there, which is strange for an “airport” hotel. Like I said, the prices are very reasonable – I had a 1L bottle of Qua water, coke, lemon rice, Tandoori Murg salad (Tandoori Chicken pieces), malabari sukha gosht (Lamb + Coconut curry) and a coffee for 650 rupees (About A$13). The salad was average. Don’t get me wrong, it tasted fine – nothing wrong with it, but it was just not that great. The lemon rice and Malabari Sikha Gosht was fantastic. Big thumbs up there and would have been plenty even without the Murg Salad. Coffee was average, if you are used to Australia/Italian style coffee. It’s a matter of taste. I don’t particular like it. The service in the restaurant was fantastic. There were 2 waiters throughout, serving and making sure everything was in order. I was very impressed. Even more so when my room door rang about 3 minutes after I returned to my room with the waiter holding my pen that I had been using in the restaurant! Like I said – very attentive service.

Extras:
- Free room wifi: a huge PLUS for me so I can skype home etc, and it means I can keep myself organised etc for the trip home. Not enough hotels include room wifi these days. Well done Suba! Its not that fast, so I was only really able to do a voice only skype back to Australia.
- No gym: there is no gym here. But for an airport hotel, I suppose that’s fine. But I would have lover to see a spa or gym. That would have really topped this place off.
- Prices: Room service prices and food prices were fantastic. Only slightly more than the cheapest Indian restaurant. Given that this hotel would be regularly populated by business travellers, I am impressed that they haven’t inflated the prices like most airport hotels do. A can of coke is A$1.20.
- No room alcohol as far as I can see, and no prospects of getting any up here either. Not a big deal.

Overall:

I would have to say that I am EXTREMELY impressed by this airport hotel. I found the staff to have a very pleasant personality, and seemed to have a real willingness to provide service. They anticipated, and had initiative. Everything I wanted came easily, and fast. There were no delays, no lost paperwork, nothing to make it not run smoothly. From landing in the airport and picking up my bags, I was safely comfortable in my hotel room 15 minutes later (transfers, check in etc). I loved that.

I have stayed in the following hotels recently: W Hong Kong, Paramount NYC, Mantra Sydney (Manly), Westin Awaji (Japan). I would put this hotel somewhere between W Hong Kong and Paramount NYC. Its small like the paramount, but is so much nicer, with WAY better service. OK, well maybe I’m getting a bit carried away with how nice it is, but all I can say is that it is equivalent to any boutique 5 star hotel that I have stayed in. The room has more modern features, but décor is probably similar to the paramount NYC.

Well done Suba – I was very impressed.

Room Tip: Booked online and got a better deal than direct.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business