“excellent location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mumbai
Hotel Moti International
Ranked #95 of 419 Mumbai B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2011

pros:
-excellent location seconds from taj mahal hotel and leopold café
-friendly and helpful staff
-quiet haven in vibrant mumbai
-large rooms with fridge
-beautiful building

cons:
-rather expensive (deluxe approx. 80$) - but then again mumbai isn't cheap anyway

hotel moti is definitely a reasonable choice to stay in mumbai.
we stayed here on the first few nights after flying in from europe and moti made it very easy to adapt to indian time and life

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oysterwhisky

Reviewed March 1, 2011

I've been meaning to write a review since getting back in January, because I've used the reviews at tripadvisor as a benchmark for my accomodation on my travels, and I understand the importance of the community contributing to this brilliant resource; it is with that in mind that I am making my first contribution.

Our stay at this hotel was full of promise, we realized that this was a budget hotel, so weren't looking for anything exceptional, further we'd spent the night before at the Hotel Cowie which was disastrous. The owner Raj appeared offered a veneer of excellent service, and was all to eager to accommodate us, though he never let us forget he was doing us a favour.

We got a dingy corner room, with no bathroom or toilet for the not-so-bargain price of Rs3600 per night. We stayed for two nights and during the time, there were constant issues with the water, the linen was cleanish and we had many a cold shower. On the night of our departure we checked out early and asked whether it would be possible to shower and collect our luggage at a later time; Raj was all too pleased to accomodate us again, which somewhat pacified us about the horrid room. After our shower, we were told that we would need to pay Rs1000 for the use of the shower and Rs300 for the storage of the bags, we were told we had 5 minutes to shower and 5 minutes to change in the store room and then we were also asked for Rs1000 for the non-ac taxi to the airport which Raj offered to arrange.

I could not help feeling that we were absolutely ripped off during our stay at the Hotel Moti, it is in my opinion an overpriced mediocre experience at best, while the location is a good one and quite accessibly, the underhanded behaviour of the hotel's owner, gives new meaning to the proverbial wolf in sheeps clothing. BEWARE!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank marlinwebster
Reviewed January 15, 2011

It's convenient for a night in Mumbai, but at the price I was charged (3500rupees) there could have at least been a decent bed and bedding. The owner is very hospitable but he needs to upgrade his rooms at this price.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex_Sonic
Reviewed January 12, 2011

very bad experience/cancelled our reservation without explication and say "go away" when we arrived at the hotel (we confirmed our reservation the day before)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jll1971
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I have stayed at Hotel Moti twice now, most recently in november 2010. The reason I went back to Moti is, of course, for the delightfully efficient and most helpful Raj - the owner and manager of the hotel.

The hotel is an old mansion that has been converted, consequently the rooms have been built into the existing structure, which gives a homely ambience, with some delightful colonial era details. Bathrooms are standard - not perfect, but funtional, with hot water (may I add running water 24/7, unlike quite a few other budget hotels/hostels in Mumbai) and flushing toilet. The beds are comfortable, with sheets and blankets provided (also unusual for budget digs in India). The area the hotel is in is very quiet, leafy and dotted with beautiful old buildings, but close to all of the tourist attractions that Colaba has to offer. Stepping out of the hotel and wandering the neighbourhood streets of Colaba was actually what I enjoyed most during my stay there. I slept very well every night of my stay.

Raj is very conscious of making sure his guests have a safe and pleasant stay in Mumbai. Shopping, eating, transport, tourist and any other enquiries are always welcomed by Raj, who is always happy to share his wealth of knowledge about this city. I have only ever found the staff and Raj polite and courteous, and am surprised at the review written by Belfen.

For those who have criticised the hotel for cleanliness I can only say, having travelled India extensively the past 12 months, I have seen far, far worse. Anyone expecting a western style level of service and cleanliness in budget hotels in India will, of course, be disappointed. If gleaming bathrooms and daily room service are more your cup of tea, then unfortunately you will have to pay more, especially in an expensive city like Mumbai.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank locker23
Reviewed October 10, 2010

As a base for Mumbi the hotel is good. Its location is great (near a number of sites and places to eat), but as for the actual hotel it was not great. The rooms were not very clean and the bathrooms not all that nice.

Also very expensive with a 3 person room charging at 3600r per night.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I was appalled when my husband (Black) went to find out if a room was available we were told the hotel was closed for refubishment. And none will be available for three months. Despite clearly no work being done. And tourists walking in and out. As our other reservation had fallen through rather than give up, I reluctantly went to find out.

When I, white, asked, the room had miraculously appeared. Draw your own conclusions. This is a dreadful way for any business and I'd in future rather give my money to any other business than this kind of establishment. In this day and age, it is an outrage. I resent having to have stayed that one night.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple