“Hotel on good location, large room but without window and with cockroach”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mumbai (Bombay)
Hotel Moti International
Ranked #71 of 391 Mumbai (Bombay) B&B and Inns
Brno, Czech Republic
“Hotel on good location, large room but without window and with cockroach”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Booking was done via mail in short notice before arrival with very quick response from hotel side.
We got nice large room with clean and large bathroom, unfortunately found out that room does not have window in the morning. We also found cockroach in the room. Staff is polite and helpful.
Only bad experience was: during departure they organized taxi to airport for us, we agreed on price 500 Rs and in the end they required 600Rs instead. Hotel is located very close to India gate and all others monuments and shopping area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Encinitas, California
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I e-mailed several hotels before arriving in Mumbai and Raj, the Moti manager, answered promptly and was very nice. We exchanged five e-mails and he ensured me that I had a room upon my arrival. After a long day of traveling I arrive at Hotel Moti and the place is booked. No rooms. Raj starts to say that another employee has given the room away as they had a similar name to mine. I'm guessing they are illiterate as they should be checking passports when checking in. I am getting a bit annoyed at this point and Raj is now getting very upset and says that he hasn't done anything wrong, that it is his employee (that is nowhere to be found) that has given the room away. Then I ask him what he is going to do about the situation and he calls another hotel. I tell him that I have to have WIFI as I have work to do and he promises that yes they do. When I ask him to show me the way to the hotel he just laughs at me. I arrive at the place he recommends and no, there is no WIFI and the man behind the counter told me that he told Raj the same. So he lied to me, again. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SwedishVagabond

Travelers are raving about these Mumbai (Bombay) hotels

Vang Vieng, Laos
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I arrived in Mumbai at short notice and dropped into the Moti International after reading about it in the Lonely Planet Guide. It was on the off chance of a room but I met Raj at the door and he went out of his way to accommodate me. The building is under restoration and he arranged a room for me that had just been completed.
The room was clean and comfortable and his staff were on the ball. The weekend in Mumbai coincided with the death of Dal Thackeray and everything closed. restaurants, bars and shops for the whole weekend. Raj used his contacts to ensure that we were all fed. Many in Mumbai that weekend were not.
The hotel is very well situated for the traveller with the Gateway to India just around the block and for those in need of a European caffeine fix a 'well known chain' just around the corner.
The building is very old and is being restored bit by bit.
There is an outside seating area off of the road where travellers/guests meet and staff 24 hours a day. There aren't many places in this price range that offer that.
Raj does run it as a business but rightly so, these buildings are very expensive to restore and Mumbai is a very expensive place.
I'd have no hesitation in booking in again. For me it was an oasis in Mumbai.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Zaragoza, Spain
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Two days ago i arrived in mumbay to end my journey in India. My husband, who is indian, was coming with me. Im spanish. I called to ask for a room and they told me they had, so i went myself there and take the room. Everything was alleight till my husband came and...surprise, his indian. Then no room was available. I dont know if inside the hotel it is a nice place, but i spoke with the manager and he was very rude, unpolite with me and my husband and nothing helpful. So if you are indian, try better other place, here you are not wellcome.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Crispis87
Beijing
Reviewed October 17, 2012

If your are looking for a normal Hotel with usual treats for a cheap price then forget this Hotel (in fact you probably wont find this anyway in Mumbai). However if you want the feeling of staying in your own apartment for a few days in a great location in a very old rambling mansion house - this is great. You can come and go as you please with no usual Hotel hoo-hah. And ... its is very inexpensive, much lower than anything comparable. Its clean, dowdy furnishings, no restaurant and no hotel type services but if you can get the big front room - its very convenient, spacious and set within a neighborhood of similarly grand old buildings that must hold a lot of old tales. A great springboard if you want to live in and check out the old Mumbai Waterfront and historic district and at a fraction of the cost of nearby hotels. The beds are deceptively comfortable. The owner is worth meeting - a really nice guy with a tale. BTW - Most of the building are actually leased apartments and only a few hotel rooms.

Room Tip: Choose the 'big' rooms - only a couple of dollars more The front room has good light and yo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beijingM
Havanna
Reviewed August 22, 2012

honestly, i never wrote any kind of review for a hotel before. i have stayed at some pretty messed up places but not one disappointed me like this one. we wanted to stay here because of the lonely planet, but really regretted that decision. it is basically an overpriced piece of garbage with a basement-kind-of-feel. it totally gave us a bad experience in mumbai. you feel so hopeless at this place, i have never experienced something like that. if possible, dont stay here. it is so much more money than the lonely planet says (even in low season: 60 euros! we have stayed at wonderful heritage homes with great food and swimming pool for far less than this!!).

the bed linen and the towels looked like they had been used for generations. we felt so uncomfortable.

even worse: the smell of deep fried pork came crawling through the a/c, it was so disgusting, it kept us up all night. we were told that there was a kitchen behind the a/c and that we should turn off the a/c... yeah right... awful smell.

except for the great location (pretty close to india gate) it was a horrible stay. i really really recommend NOT going. and i put up with a LOT.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nina L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

On arrival at Hotel Moti, after reserving a room for 3200Rs (£36.97) per night, two days previously, we were greeted with a very unhelpful, curt receptionist. He telephoned (the supposed) hotel manager who spoke with my partner regarding the reservation. We were told the hotel offers a room, no restaurant, no wifi, and we understand that Mumbai is overpriced in comparison with the rest of India but we did not expect the lack of customer service from the manager.
My partner was trying to discuss alternative prices but decided to keep the original room as there was a private shower. The manager ended the conversation by putting the phone down whilst my partner was still talking, he then phoned back to talk to the receptionist. Whilst he was taking the call my partner asked where to put out luggage as we had to wait 3 hours before the room was ready, the manager requested he speak with us again to tell us they would not hold our luggage in the hotel as it wasn't their responsibility and to remove our bags from the store cupboard. My partner then ended up trying to calm this agitated man down by asking him to stop shouting and suggested it may be better if he came to reception to discuss in person or if that was an issue we could go to where he was. The manager responded with 'I am the hotel manager! Who do you think you are telling me to do things?', my partner then responded with 'As a manager sir, you should care about your customers and you will lose our custom if you continue shouting at me'. The manager then responded with 'You have only booked one night!', at this point we had had enough so my partner responded with 'We are in Mumbai for 5 days but I wanted to see the quality of the hotel before I committed to 5 nights. Goodbye'. To top our experience off the receptionist then took the same attitude with us so we took our bags and left. We found this hotel in The Lonely Planet 2009, fortunately we then found a helpful man around the corner who helped us with our situation. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone due to the extremely rude manager.

• Stayed August 2012