“ok but some service issues”

The Westin Mumbai Garden City
Ranked #5 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Singapore, Singapore
“ok but some service issues”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Have stayed at the hotel a number of times now as it is close to my work place.
Had the hotel Taxi as part of the service as no 'standard rooms' were available when booked, so I get the free breakfast, taxi service and free internet. As I'm a gold card-holder I think the breakfast is fee anyway on the 4th floor
Taxi service fine, no issues
Check in - got out my gold card (not becuase it was gold but because I wanted to make sure they gave me some points) and was told it was not valid and didnt show as 'Gold status' on their system. I was rather surprised and annoyed at this, as I've not had issues at other Starwood hotels on this matter and I contacted Starwood as soon as I got to my room. They said what I saw myself that I was gold and they spoke to someone called Ritesh at the hotel. I didnt hear anything from the hotel, to say we screwed up, sorry sir

Had lunch buffet on the 18th at the hotel the day of arrival with a colleage. Was a hair in my food and it wasnt mine, and I had identified which food it came from and told the staff - this time I got a number of apologies from the restaurant staff, but it did put me off my food.

Room fine, nice and large, as I know

I already had the room upgrade as I'd paid 11,500 Rupees a night for this, so dont think I got anything extra for being gold - which as they stated they didnt have me down for gold anyway.....

Breakfast good overall, very busy though, but it was IPL season and the hotel was quite full

The lifts are a bit frustrating but the hotel is busy - its a modern hotel but the lifts feel a bit out of place and poor standard, then again its India so not to the same standard as Singapore, HK, China

I will use again simply becuase its convenient. Just hope next time that they get the check in correct - I was in room 2904 8-10th April

Room Tip: highest floors best, above level 25 I would say. Just expect to wait a long time for the lifts thoug...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TheWestinMumbai, General Manager at The Westin Mumbai Garden City, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback with us on TripAdvisor. Whilst we are happy to note that you have enjoyed the buffet breakfast and the location of the hotel, it is distressing to note that you had to face the challenge of not being recognized as a SPG Gold member. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this has caused. We have also noted the disappointment you have expressed concerning your dining experience at our Food and Beverage venue Seasonal Tastes. While it is our utmost focus to provide our valued, discerning guests such as you a flawless and impeccable experience, your experience has certainly been an aberration, not reflective of the hotel's service levels. It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that you have a wonderful experience on your return in the future.
Area General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My first time in Mumbai and India, this was a business trip so location of hotel was chosen for convenience to my office. People say first impressions last and all I can say about this hotel is it blew me away with the level of attention to detail/service.

The room was huge compared to the European/UK/US standards I'm used to, I was there for a week and my room was kept immaculate throughout, everyone couldn't do enough to help you and at times it did feel a bit awkward but I guess that's the level of service Westin offer.

I ate in the hotel every night at one of the three restaurants, The Italian Prego was 'OK' as was the Seasonal Tastes restaurant but my favorite was the Indian restaurant Kangan with great views from the 18th floor and great food.

The key question is would I stay here again? Absolutely !!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
We are very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the size and comfort of the room and the service you received. It was delightful to read that you enjoyed our services and overall dining experience in the three venues. Team Westin looks forward to welcoming you back for many more enriching moments.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had spent a week researching the perfect place to stay within our budget and there are a number of factors you need to consider when choosing a hotel in Mumbai. Location is very key and depending on that the choice of hotel varies. My reasons for choosing Westin - were its proximity to the airport, even though located away from the airport, the highway that goes right by it, makes it easily accessible within 20 min or so. Next was shopping - It is located close to two big shopping malls. Oberoi is smaller than the other one - I would recommend heading to the complex which 10-15 min away which has Shoppers stop, big bazaar,etc for more variety. We were not looking at sight seeing, so location wise it was good for us. It is really far away from Marine Drive and Nariman point, so if your choice is to be close to those places, then probably not the right place.
I recommend if you are a starwood preferred guest to use your membership to call the hotline and get amazing deals. I got almost 10,000 rs off and also included airport transfers, breakfast and internet. The deal was the reason for me choosing the hotel and also its rating on trip advisor. We stayed there for 3 nights with 3 people and we chose the executive suite which is REALLY spacious, very comfortable and homely - felt like we were living in an apartment in Mumbai. The views were what caught me offguard - it really had amazing views for a hotel in Mumbai even though it overlooks the slums, but the highway and the fact that nearby areas are still developing on the other side, you get some scenic views. Breakfast spread is amazing, though the indian selection could have been given more attentton (my puris were terrible) - but service there being a buffet is simply outstanding - anything you ask for, you get it on your table. If a mistake is made, they are sincerely apologetic and try to rectify the mistake as soon as they can. Views while having breakfast is really beautiful and uplifting and a good start to your day.
Salon is mediocre and as I understand not part of the Westin management - it is really local standards for beauty services - however the hair services are good and professional. Spa - the spa itself was great in terms of facilities and decor and their menu was good - but the staff lacked a professional touch in terms of appearance and even the treatments - Usually you feel well looked after and special after a treatment at a 5 star resort, however, I was not very satisfied - the therapist basically just did her job and didnt really acknowledge that I had back problems, even though I had stated it on the form and thats what I wanted her to concentrate on - basically, no above and beyond service - just get the job done in the time set.
Pool - dont be fooled by the pics, as it is quite small,lol. However, there is a resort type feel to it and is quite relaxing- it is though very windy there and I was freezing in April!. Another thing is the first 10 -15 floors are occupied by offices, so they get a view of the pool which is located on the 4th floor. Plus the pool has a bar and a lounge area, where you see business men venturing out for a drink in the evenings, and if you are swimming, potentially could be stared at. Wasnt very private and resorty as I had thought. If you want privacy, I would go during the day.
Service at this hotel is very good and it helps to make friends with the staff as they give you some handy tips.
Restuarants were good too and had live music one night at their Preggo restaurant. I would definitely though venture out and find some good places to eat as Mumbai has loads to offer and use the hotel restaurant only if you are feeling too lazy to go out :)
All in all, was a good experience and would not fault it. I found it value for money considering the deal that I got compared to all other hotels, so couldnt compain. However if you are paying the same as what the other 5 stars are offering, i would still do my research to find what suits me.

Room Tip: High High Floors as this place has great views!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your patronage to our hotel. We appreciate you spending the time to share your detailed experiences with us and shall surely share your kind words with the team. We pride ourselves in offering a personal and instinctive service, and a sensory – rich environment that evokes a feeling of tranquility and well-being, nourishing your soul within a bustling city like Mumbai. Our team prides itself on the experience we create for our guests and will be happy to hear that they have managed to meet your every need, uplift your spirits and am glad that you enjoyed it for the most part. I appreciate your comments and take them on board particularly with regard to the spa service issues you raised. Please be assured that I have personally shared your feedback with our training team so we can work on taking appropriate action to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future. It was delightful to read that you enjoyed our in room amenities, especially the comfort of the room as well as the dining experience at Prego. We look forward to your return visit so you may have the opportunity to experience our other Food and Beverage venues Seasonal Tastes, Kangan and Splash.
Pune, India
Reviewed April 8, 2013

"Great hotel with great food quality, big and spacious rooms.
has a very good view and the management staff are very courteous and helpful.
The lounge has a good and vast selection of food and drinks.
Will recommend to all my friends and family and will always keep on coming to this hotel whenever in Mumbai."

Room Tip: Rooms facing the arey colony are beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
TheWestinMumbai, General Manager at The Westin Mumbai Garden City, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your patronage to our hotel and for taking the time to share your experiences with us. Our team is delighted to hear that you enjoyed our facility and services, especially the comfort of the room as well as our Executive Club Lounge. Our team prides itself on the experience we create for our guests and will be happy to hear that they have managed to meet your every need and uplift your spirits.
Aizawl, India
Reviewed April 8, 2013

After a long tour of South India, the perfect retreat for my family. With tall trees and well maintained gardens to greet you as you drive in. The check in was smooth and the lobby is well designed. We took two Executive club rooms on the 30th floor. The rooms are big, simple and yet elegant, replete with iPod docks and all.

The Executive club guests have access to the Club lounge, where food and beverages are on the house the whole day till 8pm.. My kids really enjoyed this.

Breakfast and the dinner buffet on the 18th floor are what really impressed us. The range of food items on offer and the quality of food is awesome! And a very friendly and attentive staff.

On the 4th Floor there’s a swimming pool and a water slide. There’s even a playroom for kids. Another plus is that the Oberoi Mall is just next door.

Now the downside, the lifts take too long to arrive on your floor. There was a slight confusion regarding our room rates as one room was booked at a corporate rate and the other was not, and the front desk people were not too eager to solve the problem.

All in all we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. Our team is delighted to hear that you enjoyed our facility and services, especially the buffet breakfast and dinner, comfort of the room, The Executive Club Lounge and the poolside. I hope you can accept my sincere apologies for the challenges you encountered in our hotel. Please be assured that the feedback is being looked into and appropriate action taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future. I am hoping you will return, so we can convey to you that your experiences are not our usual standard. We look forward to your return visit to experience an uplifting experience with us at The Westin Mumbai Garden City!
New Delhi, India
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at the Westin Garden City recently and have mixed reviews about it. The property is stunning and I would have no qualms about staying at it again, with the insanely massive rooms and the modernity of the entire hotel experience. It would be difficult to find such a spacious property in Mumbai I think.

Having said that, there were some downfalls to the hotel as well. Firstly, the check in process was absurdly long. It took them almost 25 minutes to get me checked in which, when you've just gotten off a flight, feels like eternity. Moreover when you're already late for a meeting, it just gets on your nerves. For this I think they need to employ more check in staff.

Secondly, the food quality at the coffee shop and the Italian restaurant, Prego, was extremely average. I've faced this problem with the Delhi hotel as well, so I don't know what it is with the Westin Hotels and the food. I ordered room service one night, and that was extremely good (Indian food).

Despite the negatives, the staff was extremely friendly and they actually had the Miss India contestants staying at the hotel during the time I was there, so I don't think I can complain much. Definitely recommend the hotel to everyone, but please get your service quality better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. Our team is delighted to hear that you enjoyed our facility and services, especially the comfort of the room. I am sorry to learn of your concerns during your recent stay and at the outset would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed. Our team truly prides itself on being able to provide a home away from home to our patrons. It is therefore extremely disappointing to have let you down on this occasion. Please be assured that I have personally shared your feedback with our training team so we can work on taking appropriate action to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future. We truly value your business and hope you will give us the opportunity to host you once again at our hotel and make your experience a rejuvenating one. Please do reach out to me directly prior to your next visit.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Although the location is north Mumbai and away from the sights, taxis are cheap enough for it not to matter and the traffic wasn't all that bad when we were there either.

The hotel itself is fantastic. It's spotlessly clean, the staff are attentive, the food is amazing - it's good value and there's a huge choice. We ate breakfast everyday, had lunch and dinner once whilst we were there and was very impressed on each occasion.

Rooms are huge. Nicely designed and the comfiest bed I slept in during my whole trip.

If you want somewhere to relax in the hectic city of Mumbai this is the place for you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kprkn
Dear Guest
Thank you for your patronage to our hotel and for taking the time to share your experiences with us. The Heavenly Bed is one of our signature products and it gives you a motionless sleep. Our team prides itself on the experience we create for our guests and will be happy to hear that they have managed to meet your every need and uplift your spirits. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Mumbai Garden City in the near future.