Hotel Beach Garden
Agoda.com
$107
$64
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My sister and I booked Hotel Beach Garden through the recommendation of a friend who frequently travelled to Mumbai and understood our need to budget.
We aren't particularly fussy, as long as the place is clean with running hot water and enough mirrors so we can get ready each night. The hotel was mostly just a place to crash between clubs and meals with friends.

-The Good-
Excellent location just opposite Juhu beach and very near a lot of the five star hotels where the clubs are. We didn't bother going to Juhu Beach as its not particularly picturesque. Also nearby districts such as Bandra are hip and trendy for the clubbing scene. And most importantly the area was safe, even for two foreign young girls that would normally be prime target in India. We didn't get half as much hassle as in other areas.
The hotel layout was quite unusual and pretty intimate. An outdoor reception area that you could see through all the room windows, with stairs and/or balconies that connected each room. Plenty of character, rather than a generic, impersonal hotel that you can't call home for a few days.
The room itself was like a cute, homely apartment. Even when the delightful manager later asked us if we wanted a free upgrade to a much larger room, we declined as the room we had (with a small balcony to smoke out of) had much more character and felt like home. For those who can't quite embrace the Indian bathroom system like we did (toilet and shower all in one place without separate cubicles or raised areas, which meant the water after a shower went everywhere) then look elsewhere.
We were constantly calling room service/reception for questions and asking to borrow irons etc. they were all so patient and happy to oblige. The restaurant was also room service only, so perhaps it was just a kitchen attached, but when one is hungover and too lazy to roll out of bed, this set up was perfect. And the food was pretty good too, and far more reasonably priced than the nearby restaurants. They had the wifi up and running throughout our visit but it was only on the last day that we realised that the connection is not strong enough to reach the rooms and we had to sit in the reception area to access it. Also plenty of good tv channels for those hungover mornings.
By the end of the 3 nights, we were friendly with all the staff, even joking around that they were like caring parents making sure we got back safe and at a decent time (if 6am in the morning is "decent")
Would definitely stay again.

-The Bad-
Despite the excellent location, rickshaws and taxis just could not find this little hidden away hotel, and the address (opposite Juhu beach) is rather vague. So I strongly suggest that you find your bearings before venturing out, and tell the driver it is opposite the ramada and close to the Marriott. We got a rickshaw from the Marriott to our hotel and it took half an hour and a ridiculous charge before we discovered it was a 5 minute WALK away!
As with many hotels and houses in India, the rooms aren't very bright. All the shades, curtains and lack of windows tend to keep out heat. But we go on holiday specifically for heat and light!
On the first night we asked the manager if it was okay to have friends over. As described above, he was extremely helpful and accommodating. Unfortunately by the time our friends turned up, another porter was on duty and kept pestering us that our guests need to leave. We had to pay the 600 rupees for "an extra guest" just to shut him up! The manager apologised profusely the next morning, but that wasn't going to bring back out money already spent and having to deal with a nuisance all of the night before.
As for the price, we were well aware that there is no such thing as a cheap, clean and well located hotel in Mumbai. In fact Mumbai proved to be more expensive than London for a clubbing weekend...! And while elsewhere in India a place like this would be a fraction of the price, we had to bite the bullet and fork out, as everywhere else would have just been even more money.

Overall, I'd be happy to revisit.

Room Tip: Go for the safe room as us, I think it was room 307: It's on the left hand side if the reception, up the stairs and left again all the way at the end of the corridor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank bittersw33t
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Located exactly opposite of Juhu Beach. Superb area to live in... Rooms were small but decent. No restro in the hotel however they managed the room service for food. Friendly staff but a bit unprofessional.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank anandbhatter
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We booked this as it was close to the airport and we had 10 hours between flights. As a place to store luggage it was just about acceptable. As a place to sleep - no. Grubby, shabby and unpleasant. At $69 on Agoda it was ridiculously overpriced. The manager on the desk was very helpful though. Juhu is a bit of a dump too and, apart from The Marriott, the so called five star hotels are more like 2-3 star soulless, tatty places.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank bessieoxford
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I arrived from Delhi early morning, and it was a bit difficult to the taxi driver to locate the hotel (no board with the name).

I was taken to a room upstairs which smelled heavily like humidity. I asked for another room. The man and the recption said that it is because of the rainy season, and that the smell will go away, but I said I will not stay there. Since it was around 9am, he told me that a room will be free from around 11pm and I could move there. In between, I could take a small, non-standard room. I agreed.

The small room I got had equally bad ventilation an a very strong smell. When I finally got the "better" room it wasn't much better, except because it had a small window facing the corridor (and once the cleaning staff just opened the courtain and stared at me in the room! -I am a female solo taveler and I felt EXTREMELY uncomfortable with leaving the window open ever since then). The rooms of the wall had dark spots of previous mildew, it was extremely unpleasant.

I spent the first night in that room after which the manager asked me if everthing was ok in the new room (No it was certainly not!), he offered me to take a "luxury" room and pay the difference. I said that for the price the room shall not have this kind of problems. He then offered me to switch my room again. The new one had a bigger window to the back side of the building. However, I was asked to keep the window closed during the night. That did not make things much better, but it improved the air in the room at least a bit.

The breakfast which was included was substandard and the worst was that it had to be eaten in the room! (there was no restaurant, and with the whole humidity it was very gross...)

The room cleaning was very good, except for the walls the room was always clean and tidy. I noticed that they sprayed something in the walls which covered the smell for a few minutes...

Perhaps this is only a rainy-season problem, but rooms with mildew are not only extremely unpleasant, but also not very healthy. I saw four rooms (!!) and all had this ventilation problem. Although the staff was very friendly and the location is excellent, it was absolutely not worth the money. Unfortunately, as I had booked thorugh agoda making the payment in advance, so I had no choice but to stay there. And the staff had also no choice but to keep giving me a new room, all with the same problems as I saw. Very bad experience.

Room Tip: Perhaps avoid the rainy season? And if you cannot, get one with a window. It won't make it much better, but it could be worse!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Kira S
Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

Me and 2 friends stayed here in May 2012. It's an  oasis of calm on a bustling road, right next to Juhu beach. The staff are so lovely and very helpful. We were three girls travelling on our own and the staff went out of their way to make sure taxi's were booked for us etc (making sure to tell us the maximum to pay etc.) We had a basic room on the ground floor (there are 2 floors) which was perfect for our requirements.
If you want your room cleaned you must hand in your key in to reception as you leave for the day (we only realised this on day 2)
Although there's no bar or restaurant, there's a lovely rooftop bar next door and the hotel does room service breakfast which is inclusive.
There's a good swimming pool at the sea princess hotel 5 minutes away, you can use this for 500 rupees a day (£6) or if you want to splash out, visit the luxurious Novotel and spend the day in their pool for 1500 rupees a day - a lovely place to watch the sunset over a piña colada!
Location wise, it's approx an hour from the international airport, 30 mins from the famous Linking Road, 45 mins from Colaba Road which has a great market and outstanding architecture. If you fancy a night out, we went to a great club called Hype near Phoenix Mills shopping centre! Perfect mix of western and Indian music - and women get in free.

• Stayed: May 2012