“Good location but only expect the basics from this hotel”

Grand Hometel, Mumbai
Ranked #131 of 461 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I went to Mumbai for a business trip. My colleagues and I wanted to stay at Grand Sarovar Premier, their 4-star sister hotel, however that plan didn't go through. Staying here for a few days probably wouldn't be much of a concern - since this 3-star hotel does have all the 'basics' - basic food (limited menu), wi-fi connectivity, room with basic amenities like toilettres and decent lighting).

However, staying here for a 2-week business trip is a different story - guests would require more space (especially for clothes and other personal belongings), a good selection of food (so guest don't eat the same thing or get tired of the limited options) and good personalized service (e.g. ability to understand customer needs during a long stay).

The food selection is probably the hotel's lowest low. The buffet at breakfast is very limited - again, nothing special. The a la carte menu is also so-so. I tried one of their fish appetitizers at their restaurant Flavours and it was quite salty. There is also little consistency in the presentation of their food - I ordered greek salad a few times from their in-room menu - it tasted okay, but it looked completely different every time I ordered it! I have to credit them though for their butter chicken, which I ordered through room service - it tasted great. Apart from their restaurant and in-room dining options, they also have a 'bar' on the ground floor, Stardust. If velvet doors and dim lighting and a generally çheesy atmosphere strike your fancy, then you'll enjoy this place. Otherwise, stay clear of that area.

I read some bad reviews about this hotel's rooms. I can stay there's definitely nothing special about them. The room I stayed in was generally clean. Very basic. Basic amenities were available - minbar, electrical kettle with tea and coffee, a hairdyer, basic bathroom toilettres. Small desk space (not good if you're there for a long business trip as all the desk space usage leaves no room for you to eat on your desk! I had to eat on the bed most, if not, all of the time). The room doesn't have any carpeting or rugs and can generally be quite cold. (I always had to turn off the air-con). The room also had a light lingering cigarette smell, but surprisingly (as a non-smoker) I got so used to it that eventually it was like the scent was no longer there. The bed was okay - the pillows were fluffy enough to give me a good night's rest during my stay. There are a lot of channel on their cable TV, however, after one week, lots of the channels were blocked (maybe they weren't paying their cable bill?)

The hotel does have a gym but doesn't have a pool (although there was an empty 'jacuzzi' I was told by one of the staff on the rooftop). Also, the 'business center' is really just their staff office behind the reception area. I once tried to print a document, and went to their 'business center' but wasn't able to open and print the file I wanted. The staff were not helpful, or showed any concern about that. I just gave up on that altogether.

Overall, service at this hotel was fair. There were some staff (e.g. room service staff and waiters) who very friendly and competent. But other than that, a lot of the staff were only there to help when it was convenient for them and didn't pay much attention to detail (e.g. staff at reception). Not much proactive service (I even had one housekeeping staff call me up on my last day just to remind me to fill out a survey!). I do give points though for them helping out with my internet connection when I arrived, and being efficient with the wake up calls I requested. Housekeeping's laundry service was also very efficient.

Location is probably the biggest saving grace for this hotel. The office I had to go to daily was just an easy 5-minute auto/rickshaw ride (or 20-minute walk) from the hotel, which was awesome. It is also about a 10-15-minute walk to two nice malls (Inorbit and Infinity Malad) and the supermarket Hypercity. It didn't really help though that the hotel is located minutes away from the Malad creek, which for a lack of a better term 'really stank'. The smell would sometimes seep into the rooms just slightly. The hotel is also about 40 minutes to the airport and 20-25 minutes (by auto) to Juhu.

In a nutshell, if you are visiting Mumbai just for a few days, and will be fine with basic amenities and dining options, and need to around the Malad area, this place will be okay. But if you're looking for consistently good service, better and bigger rooms and food options, stay elsewhere. (e.g. Grand Sarvor Premier is just a 5 to 8-minute auto/rickshaw ride away).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank LGR_1118
arunabh s, General Manager at Grand Hometel, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

thank you for your detailed feedback on our facility and service. i am happy that some of our services met your expectations. we will make all efforts to improve on others. i would like to bring to your attention that the cable TV was working erratically a few days due to technical glitches at the service provider. the same has now been restored

Reviewed August 12, 2013

A very decent place with an excellent and courteous staff. Walkable distance from Inorbit Mall. Only thing, at times autos are not available around. So, have to walk till the Mall. Would definitely prefer to stay here during my next visit - be it on business or leisure.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

thank you for feedback. i am glad you had a good stay with us

Reviewed August 9, 2013

the hotel is amezing is it on link road in malad i really love this hotel hear hotel cealing is good n the light is also awesome in the night in the room bad is awesoem for sleep i visisted over hear on april i didn't remember the date n time is this really nice hotel n the service is really awesome in the this spa facility are also available i gone with my frd i gone with frd because he given party on this hotel the service is really awesome n the we done night dinner also over hear the tatste of dinner is realy aaaaaaaamezing i cant tell its really amezing taste i planing to gone over hear on next time also.......

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

thank you for your feedback. i am glad that you had a good stay with us

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip to Bombay. On the outside of the hotel it looks great but the surroundings have a very bad smell that lingers on it's almost like a garbage dump outside. Well that's no fault of the hotel and just Mumbai in general still affects your experience. I was checked into a smoking room and I had requested a non-smoking room, upon asking the front desk they told me that they had sold out and there were no rooms available from the hotel. I went out to dinner and when I came back to sleep for the night, I saw that the bed was covered in human hair. It seems like the last person who used it was a hairy troll and nobody bothered cleaning up after him. Besides this there were tiny bugs on the bed. I wasn't sure if they were lice or bedbugs in general but they were crawling on the bed. I complained to the staff and had the front desk and the manager on duty come to my room to take a look at the condition they offered to change my bed sheets. The manager himself was wearing a blazer which was covered in stains looking at him and judging by their level of cleanliness I did not think that just changing the bedsheets would make a difference. I demanded a clean no smoking room or I wanted my money back. They obliged and suddenly I felt as if they were lying to me because when I initially asked her non-smoking room somehow it wasn't available, and now at the threat of leaving the hotel and not paying them it miraculously became available! They took me to the new room, which I thoroughly inspected, and while I slept uncomfortably through the night I always kept thinking that maybe going to another hotel would've been a better idea.

• Stayed: April 2013

please accept my apologies for your inconvenience and also for a delayed response. while your feedback is contrary to what we are capable of we will make efforts to up our hygiene standards. we have gone into details of this and it is our understanding that our hotel is not infested with bugs.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel multiple times, and this hotel has been quite consistent all throughout.

The one complain that you may have is that the rooms are too small, but apart from that, it meets all your needs. The rooms are nicely done, and you will find all your requirements in the room. The wi-fi was extremey erratic this time (but i would consider that as an exception, was good in the previous occasions).

I believe almost all the residents in this hotel are business travellers, and this hotel does meet their requirements. Overall recommended.

1  Thank SMITRA_13
arunabh s, General Manager at Grand Hometel, Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

thank you for your feedback. we value your continuous patronage. we will check and rectify our wi fi network.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days. The rooms are comfortable. The food is good as well. The dinner buffet is really good and you must try it. The staff is polite and service in the restaurant as well as room service is good. The hotel has service for airport pickup as well. I would like to especially mention the staff is very gracious and smiles. Makes one feel very comfortable. I would like to commend them for that.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

thank you for your feedback. i an glad that you had a comfortable stay with us. we hope to welcome you again soon

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Location of hotel is not that good, because very pungent smell will come around it. Food is not at all good, breakfast is also not so good, its ok. Standard room is very small in size, bathroom is nt all good.

Room Tip: Room to front side is good, side wise not good becasue of smell.