“I will try this place one more time for sure.”

The Oriental Residency
Ranked #66 of 465 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Fix the second elevator ASAP. It was no peace when I was given a room just next to the elevator under renovation. But I like the location of the hotel and the service was not bad either. There is always room for improvement though.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Diju814
Sameer Y, General Manager at The Oriental Residency, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel The Oriental Residency, Mumbai and taking your time out to share your experience with us through TripAdvisor!

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the room stay due to Elevator noise, We are in the process of upgrading our lift to Schindler Company and we will fix this within 15 days. Sorry for the inconvenienced caused.

We look forward to having you with us on your next visit to Mumbai.

Sameer Yelve.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Booked in for four days stayed 7 days a little expensive but Mumbai is is expensive so was value for money . The staff were fantastic every little query was answered and fixed quickly. Smiles and attention from all staff couldn't have been more helpful. The breakfast buffet suits plain tastes through to indian food lovers. The beds are king size and soft. We changed rooms and found all were spacious and clean, bathroom comes with full range of consumables and great hot water and pressure. Hotel is in a quiet area only 100mtrs to main road and shops it's central mumbai. Everyone says stay at Colaba but after visiting there you only need to see it once with a tour and we found staying out of the hectic area easy to day trip elsewhere. They have a free airport transfer? Others have said it was hard to find but they have a new sign out front. We would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Not much difference between rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zacca01
Sameer Y, General Manager at The Oriental Residency, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us on such an important occasion in your life.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in the oriental residency during december 2013.
The staff is very kind and willing to help us ... always with a smile. I particularly enjoyed the breakfast.
Our room was very clean, modern and clear.
For this price it seems difficult to find better !

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Grizzly_Butler
Sameer Y, General Manager at The Oriental Residency, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear Guest,

It feels great to receive positive feedback and encourages the staff to strive for the better standards of the Hospitality. Thank you once again for sharing your experience of your stay at the Oriental Residency.

Sameer Yelve.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We chose to stay at the Oriental Residency in the period of May 2013, after much perusal through the TripAdvsior website when we saw that it had not only good reviews but also good pictures. To our disappointment, the hotel was exactly the opposite from what has been portrayed about it. The bad experience began from the word go where the hotel forgot to pick us up from the airport. Hoping that the room would compensate for such pick up service, it only got worse – the poor service levels only escalated. Despite having booked a premier room, we were forced into accepting a standard room that was filthy and unkempt. On expressing our rights for what we had paid, we were moved to a premier room and clearly told that that is the only room available. The room was totally unacceptable – the paint had started to chip off, the pillows had blood stains (the hotel argued that that is all they had and merely changed the pillow cover after much hesitation), the bed sheets had yellow stains and hair all over it, bathroom floor was dirty making it hard to step on. At this point, we had completely lost hope with zero expectations now from the hotel.

Breakfast service was another aspect that added on the to the bad experience. The curries were swimming in oil, an omelet and simple masala tea took 30 mins to arrive, and there was absolutely no variety in the food being served. For about $100 a night, we were really expecting better service. Now that we had made up our minds to look for a better-valued hotel, we felt a sigh of relief. However, the hotel’s assistant manager did not take any action to make our stay any better and was least bothered. All they cared about was wanting to charge us more for any little extra service we took up, for instance wi-fi and telephone calls. This made us question what was really important to this hotel. A sound customer experience or merely just wanting to make money?

On wanting to leave the hotel, the manager was extremely hesitant and unhelpful in facilitating the refund. It is very unfortunate indeed that the management itself does not understand the value of customer satisfaction.

Attached are some pictures, which show less than 50% of what to expect at this hotel. Going to Mumbai after 10 good years can tarnish the city’s image if you decide to stay at the Oriental Residency owing to their low standards.

In conclusion, I highly do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank s4loni
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Booked into this hotel as a luxury break during a budget travelling holiday so I do not have much to compare this to in regards to similar hotels in Mumbai. Room was lovely with great shower and modern air con, very helpful staff and decent location close to linking road. Only reason for not giving 5/5 is just not feeling I got value for money. Yes I had an excellent stay but the price was just a little too much and when you have to pay for wifi I ended up feeling it was a little too much, even considering the location. All in all though a very good stay. The restaurant below the rooms is certainly worth eating in if you get a chance during your stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Henrythehen
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This was my first trip to India with my family and Mumbai was our last destination before we headed back to Malaysia. After reading all reviews on tripadvisor I booked this hotel thinking it will be a great hotel to stay. Unfortunately I didn't like the service that was received , the cleanliness was very poor and unfriendly staff especially Mr Amit and Mr Deepak.

Whenever we had a small request, there was always a negative answer first before a solution can be given. It was always a ' cannot Mem ' , ' I'm sorry mem we can't ' ... What kind of a customer service is this ?

On our last day of checkout , our flight was at midnight and hence we needed a place to just freshen up at abt 6.00pm before we headed to the airport. I had requested tht can we just be given a room ( not to stay obviously ) but just needed to freshen up and change into warmer clothings. Well the response we got from Mr Deepak was sorry we need to charge you RS 3000 for that. I mean what kind of a service is this ? It was not that we wanted to sleep or bathe in the room that the hotel needed to take money out of us. In Amritsar and Delhi we had late flights and the hotels there were so accommodating and great that they were ever willing to do anything for us.

The most important thing is that there was no wifi. Guest at the hotel needed to pay to get wifi and this to me was utter rubbish because being guest , we should be given access on a complimentary basis and not pay.

The worst thing is I had given clothes for laundry and when it came back, they lost my daughter's jeans. I told Mr Fahad and the person who took my laundry to please find the pair. The first response given by them is it cannot be lost by them because previously there have never been complaints from customers. I was already furious at that moment and I told Mr Fahad no matter what I want the jeans back. On the same evening the housekeeping guy knocks on my door with my daughter's jeans in his hands. So what does this tell you ? They are so unprofessional.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone . This hotel was bad.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SimeeNov2013

Dear Guest,

We are glad you were able to enjoy a generous service experience with us and have carried back fond memories of your stay at our property. Every effort is made to ensure that world-class facilities and comforts are offered to our guests and appreciative comments such as yours are most encouraging and will always be our greatest reward.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Timeous pick up, clean rooms, lovely food, convenient location and amazing staff. Joshua who was always smiling and checking on my injured foot..Deepak who always gave me the wake up call and did a seamless check in..and Fahad who was simply so so helpful that he just went the extra mile in too many ways to describe.. Sweety and Steven and even the quiet but helpful bellboy! Luggage weighing.. Suggestions for nearby doctors when I needed it...and even breakfast in my room when I Cldnt make it downstairs due to my injury... Simply a superb experience.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Neelu786
Sameer Y, General Manager at The Oriental Residency, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. It is feedback from esteemed guest like you that helps us to constantly introspect our systems and procedures and assists us in striving for a better product and service.